Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

62kW is the max I have seen it take. Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIe7SNyLAdQ Its a demo of it on a 150kW.
    It has taken 69.9kW as videoed by Bjorn Nyland on a 100kW unit.
    He also theorized that it was amp limited.

The battery is limited to 400v but if the amperage is raised at the charger end, it is possible to exceed the current max of ~70kW.

Planning permission for the first 6 Ionity sites is supposed to be submitted this week, that's all the info I got.
    That will at least give the precise locations.
    Do we think they are going to mirror the Tesla supercharger locations?

No Idea where they'll be except they'll be along the main motorway routes so no doubt some maybe on the same sites as the Tesla chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

ELM327 wrote: »
    The battery is limited to 400v but if the amperage is raised at the charger end, it is possible to exceed the current max of ~70kW.

175A is the maximum for the Ioniq.

Kona can handle 200A or 80kW peak.

175A is the maximum for the Ioniq.

Kona can handle 200A or 80kW peak.
    I haven't the opportunity to test that. Is there a spec sheet? I can't find one online. The drawback of owning a rarer EV I suppose.

All I can find are articles from 2016 claiming 200a

• Advertisement

I haven't the opportunity to test that. Is there a spec sheet? I can't find one online. The drawback of owning a rarer EV I suppose.

All I can find are articles from 2016 claiming 200a

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116041_5-things-about-the-2019-hyundai-kona-electric-we-learned-at-the-ny-auto-show

(4) The CCS fast charging can operate at a slightly higher rate.

Hyundai measures charging current (amperes) rather than power (kilowatts), but given the pack in the Ioniq Electric, it was capable of fast-charging 173 amps.

That translated to a a rate of 70 kilowatts—for which a 100-kw charging output was required.

The new Kona Electric can handle a maximum current of 200 amps, meaning it can handle a peak power of 80 kw—still within the capabilities of new 100-kw CCS fast-charging sites found in Europe and South Korea today.

They interviewed a senior engineer for EV powertrains at Hyundai, so I'd say the info is pretty solid. But yeah never had the chance to test either. I observed something like 68kW at Midway but the power meter on the FCP isn't set up correctly apparently.

A (incomplete) planning application was submitted on July 30th for 6 Ionity chargers at Cashel, J8/M8.

http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/18600952/0
    a High Power Electric Vehicle Charging Station consisting of the: (i) Installation of 6 no. electric vehicle charging bays, each comprising a parking space and electric vehicle charging unit, (ii) Associated revisions to existing car parking area, (iii) Installation of electric vehicle power units, (iv) Construction of a new substation, (v) Erection of illuminated signage, (vi) All associated lighting, infrastructure, site and development works

Also looks like Monasterevin, Co. Kildare and Gormanstown, Co. Meath are in the pipeline. Assuming J14/M7 and J7/M1.

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/german-company-backed-by-vw-and-mercedes-speeds-up-electric-car-charging-plan-for-ireland-jdb20fgjt

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks a million for the update. Looks like it is really happening very soon now. Very excited about these new chargers, that you no doubt can rely on and where you never have to wait.

Yep, i'd gladly pay for that.
    Pity there's not going to be more. My regular motorway trips are mainly M/N3 and M/N11, neither of which are served by these.

If you have a model 3 when they come out - and they have CCS as rumoured - you will really be able to top up anywhere , between the superchargers and these Ionity ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yep, i'd gladly pay for that.
    Pity there's not going to be more. My regular motorway trips are mainly M/N3 and M/N11, neither of which are served by these.

If you have a model 3 when they come out - and they have CCS as rumoured - you will really be able to top up anywhere , between the superchargers and these Ionity ones

My fingers are crossed the M3 will get one......

It's a bit of a black hole at the moment.

Based on the planning permission they seem to position along motorway's which makes sense.

One in Maghera would make sense as long term Virginia will have to be by passed and the plans I seen in 1991 starts the by pass just past Maghera :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

A (incomplete) planning application was submitted on July 30th for 6 Ionity chargers at Cashel, J8/M8.

http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/18600952/0

Also looks like Monasterevin, Co. Kildare and Gormanstown, Co. Meath are in the pipeline. Assuming J14/M7 and J7/M1.

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/german-company-backed-by-vw-and-mercedes-speeds-up-electric-car-charging-plan-for-ireland-jdb20fgjt

Correct distance from Cork for a 20kwh car to get there comfortably.

Good call on location.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Correct distance from Cork for a 20kwh car to get there comfortably.

Good call on location.
    I don't think they are considering 20kWh cars tbh.

I've been reading their blurbs and they generally specify that "cars must be capable of charging at these speeds". I'm not even sure reading that line if the Ioniq qualifies. Depends on how stringently they apply that I guess.

I don't think they are considering 20kWh cars tbh.

I've been reading their blurbs and they generally specify that "cars must be capable of charging at these speeds". I'm not even sure reading that line if the Ioniq qualifies. Depends on how stringently they apply that I guess.

I would guess they are going to limit the charger to the companies that are part of the group.

Does it specify anywhere they will let any car plug into them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would guess they are going to limit the charger to the companies that are part of the group.

Does it specify anywhere they will let any car plug into them?

Can't imagine that happening at all, in particular would not be legal in a number of EU countries.

liamog wrote: »
    Can't imagine that happening at all, in particular would not be legal in a number of EU countries.

Is that not what Tesla are doing? no other cars can use their fast chargers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For instance in the UK, a single manufacturer is allowed to restrict access. But if Tesla made a deal allowing any other manufacturer e.g. Jaguar to use SuperChargers they'd then be required to install CCS and allow public access.

(2) A recharging or refuelling point is accessible to the public if it is—
    (a)intended for use by members of the general public (including those situated in public car parks, whether or not those car parks are available only to consumers of specific goods or services); and
    (b)not intended for—
    (i)exclusive use in respect of a vehicle produced by a specific manufacturer;
    (ii)use by persons engaged in specific occupations;
    (iii)use by persons whilst at their place of employment (including visitors); or
    (iv)exclusive use by occupiers of, or visitors to, residential premises.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/897/regulation/2/made

liamog wrote: »
    For instance in the UK, a single manufacturer is allowed to restrict access. But if Tesla made a deal allowing any other manufacturer e.g. Jaguar to use SuperChargers they'd then be required to install CCS and allow public access.

I hope your right....if I do buy a Kona/Niro it would be handy

Somehow I expect they have a way around it. Pointless the companies putting money into this project if I can rock up in Hyundai/Kia and plug it in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Seems like a huge effort and investment installing the system to then block Hyundai and Kia from using it. Given that they are charging for use, why block prospective customers?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Seems like a huge effort and investment installing the system to then block Hyundai and Kia from using it. Given that they are charging for use, why block prospective customers?
    They wont be.
    One of their promo pictures shows a GM car charging and in accordance with the list here http://www.ionity.eu/ they are not part of the group

• Advertisement

They wont be.
    One of their promo pictures shows a GM car charging and in accordance with the list here http://www.ionity.eu/ they are not part of the group

There are also videos of Ioniqs charging at the Ionity chargers in Germany.

Ionity is a commercial network with its seed funding coming from the manufactures alliance. Just like Shell/BP have bought networks and a few of the big European energy companies are getting into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Yeah, it should be a planning condition here to require open access. Set the expectations straight from day 1 so we don't have fragmentation

Dardania wrote: »
    Yeah, it should be a planning condition here to require open access. Set the expectations straight from day 1 so we don't have fragmentation

All comes down to the definition of public access in the Alternative Fuels Directive that we still haven't transcribed.

I actually quite like the UK definition, though I would remove the exclusion for single manufacturer networks as I don't think they are a sustainable idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Is that not what Tesla are doing? no other cars can use their fast chargers?

That's not Tesla's fault.
    https://electrek.co/2017/06/19/tesla-supercharger-sharing-automakers/

Sabre Man wrote: »

From the Tesla pro website :P

It never is Tesla's fault :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

From the Tesla pro website :P

It never is Tesla's fault :D

Do you have a source that says otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When Circle K took over my local service station they spent a good 10 days revamping it. Most of that time was spent ripping out the almost brand new pumps with card readers to put in ones with no pay at pump. How much does that cost in labor and parts? Lots of safety regs and certification involved = €€€€€.

If you put something in that will make people loiter at their branches for 10-15 minutes with the Boston Donuts under their nose they will JUMP at it. The big roadblock I'd see is the fees required by the ESB to add capacity to their supply. Bring that down and you might well make it very viable.

BTW is anyone actually building forecourts? I've only really seen closures and rebrands, very very few new openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

There are a few new motorway service stations but no major rural / urban ones.

CCS will likely become the standard across Europe first and the world second.

As far as I can see, the locations so far are going to be
    • Circle K Cashel M8
    • Texaco J14 Mayfield M8
    • Circle K City North J3 M1

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Do you have a source that says otherwise?

Have you seen any car apart from a Tesla plug into their superchargers? :P

• Advertisement

It's a real shame the new Applegreen on the N7 has no chargers , it would be a good location.

Advertisement