Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I need a new front light, which is the better one to buy? Need it for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ED E wrote: »
    This is their dashcam, not necessarily the same sensor but similar anyways.
    I can make out the number plates on that anyway? Loop recording not a deal breaker for me - the way things have gone recently, I'll be downloading every week anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Borderfox wrote: »
    Workstand in Halfords for €48

I bought one of them Saturday completely on impulse. Have to say it's not bad at all for the price.

I really didn't need it though :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah yeah, this camera is shite. Going to return at lunch. A potatoe would record better footage. Youtube makes things look way worse a lot of the time, but this is a reasonable representation of the quality. ****ty colours, way over exposed. And not true 1080p, upscaled 720p.

And the upscaling is done in terribly; it results in huge file sizes. My two minute video was close to 600MB. Ah well, hopefully returning will be easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Ah yeah, this camera is shite. Going to return at lunch. A potatoe would record better footage. Youtube makes things look way worse a lot of the time, but this is a reasonable representation of the quality. ****ty colours, way over exposed. And not true 1080p, upscaled 720p.

And the upscaling is done in terribly; it results in huge file sizes. My two minute video was close to 600MB. Ah well, hopefully returning will be easy enough.

Your right.Thats not great quality. I bought a GoPro hero on here for 50 euro a few months ago which can also be used for other sports so this for 60 isn't really a bargain at all.
    Glad my wife got the wrong lights as i suspected she would,but ill be returning them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The Lezyne-like light is actually brighter than Lezyne 450XL at the brightest setting. Also has more concentrated and warmer beam. Great buy for 17e! I may get another set.

The rest of the stuff I bought and the style they run this promotion is a joke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm trying to figure out how quick I can be to cancel my UK orders. I've contacted them via 3 mediums so hopefully I get something sorted. Curse my panic hoarding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

These threads should be required reading for any marketing student

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

What did you expect ? It's a cycling camera, not a walking one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Alek wrote: »
    The Lezyne-like light is actually brighter than Lezyne 450XL at the brightest setting. Also has more concentrated and warmer beam. Great buy for 17e! I may get another set.

The rest of the stuff I bought and the style they run this promotion is a joke.

the front and rear set? https://www.aldi.ie/bikemate-front-%26-rear-led-bike-light/p/079057169938700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Eur 10 base layers very disappointing, need to return, sized too small and too light

Can't access the video properly, only on my phone, as an embedded video (probably user error somewhere along the way) - can you read the number plates on that video? Going to have to suck it up really at this stage - only consolation will be UK price not euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought the merino base layer. I got M and it's a good size. Similar in fit to size L in Castelli jerseys etc.

Also bought a neck warner thingy.

Couldn't be arsed with the camera. There was one remaining in letterkenny (new store)

There was no size L neoprene gloves left and the size M were too tight and restrictive but they seems like decent quality.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Can't access the video properly, only on my phone, as an embedded video (probably user error somewhere along the way) - can you read the number plates on that video? Going to have to suck it up really at this stage - only consolation will be UK price not euro!

The video should be accessible on all platforms. Some regs were, some weren't. Just very poor quality, I mean at the price maybe we shouldn't expect too much. But it should be real 1080p if they advertise as much.

Just got my refund in east wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yes, the rear+front set. Got another one, one left im Rathmines

The video should be accessible on all platforms. Some regs were, some weren't. Just very poor quality, I mean at the price maybe we shouldn't expect too much. But it should be real 1080p if they advertise as much.

Youtube played it back in 720, if you chose the 1080 it was marginally better.

I rang the UK helpline and got mine cancelled. I've now got a revolut account set up at least finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 star71

What are their coats like, it says they're wind and water proof, I have one I got from lidl a while back but it's not water proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I bought the merino base layer. I got M and it's a good size. Similar in fit to size L in Castelli jerseys etc.

Also bought a neck warner thingy.

Couldn't be arsed with the camera. There was one remaining in letterkenny (new store)

There was no size L neoprene gloves left and the size M were too tight and restrictive but they seems like decent quality.

Just to second that - my merino base layer also a bit bigger than i would have expected. Still happy with it, better a little loose than too small to fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

AlanG wrote: »
    Aldi in Parnell st Dublin has a few baskets of clothes but only the cheapest lights and no cameras.

did you check the expensive items locked cupboard that's where I got the high performance rear light. Got a stock of co2 and neoprene gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Just cancelled mine too from UK, looking on youtube though the FLY 6 quality dosn't look much different to my eye. Is it much better than the Aldi one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

detones wrote: »
    Just cancelled mine too from UK, looking on youtube though the FLY 6 quality dosn't look much different to my eye. Is it much better than the Aldi one?

I don't think so, I liked the idea of the Fly6 but always resisted buying it because it doesn't look as great as it should for the price of it. I found license plates difficult from the few videos people here put up, I was hoping that the Aldi one would be higher resolution but alas no. Maybe I missed nothing here.

detones wrote: »

Fly6 is crap too to be fair. Ah I'm sure there will be some chinese version of this style camera eventually with a half decent sensor. I've had 50euro action cameras that looked far superior to either of these from 3 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fly6 is crap too to be fair. Ah I'm sure there will be some chinese version of this style camera eventually with a half decent sensor. I've had 50euro action cameras that looked far superior to either of these from 3 years ago.

My clip on camera that I got from ebay that was the size of a USB key and attached to my t shirt was about equivalent, but it only cost 40euro 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

I liked the idea that the Fly6 was a fit and forget camera,overwriting itself with a good battery life, granted quality is not great but its not designed as an "Action" camera. You would only ever look at the footage if you had an incident etc. It was not clear if the Aldi one had the same functionality. I might have cancelled it a bit hastily though ;-)

The Fly6 isn't though really. It's a decent camera, better than this one seems to be (admittedly from once off footage), and a pretty good light. That's the original at least. Easy to move between bikes too as it came with a few mounts and one stays on each.

The rubber shim on the original was the worst part.

I must commend Aldi's customer service anyway, even if the phone call cost me a fortune (three). Good thing I built up an awful lot of credit

Sod all merino left in sandyford at lunch. Didn't look at the cabinets, but lots of the cheaper lights. No CO2 cartridges, only the valve pack. Lots of neck warmers and glasses. Got the last pair of large neoprene gloves (and tight enough at that) and some of the muc off lub. All the feckers working around there probably cleaned it out first thing (like I used to do when I worked near a store!) :) .

Just going to suck up the camera as got it ordered as a favour, so not going to mess them around cancelling. A bit like the dashcam bargain alert that's turned out to be 140 rather than 170 viewing angle, this camera is still going to be better than my current one - i.e. none!

btw my issue with any of the other/ cheaper options is the battery life. I have more issues on weekend spins in general, than I do when I commute. That's always ruled the likes of roam, and even gopro's out of the equation! I'm yet to get around to hacking my sony action cam with an external battery, as I don't have the cash for fly12 (or rather lots of other cycling related stuff I'd rather spend the money on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭plodder

I just got the last two COB lights in the East Wall Rd. store. Stuff seems to be selling fast,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had a look in Fonthill. Not a lot of stuff overall. Lots of the lezyne lookalike lights and the ordinary vests. Very few or any of the Merino vests that I was looking to get. There are a few turbo trainers and bike stands. Didn't see any of the camera light things. Didn't look very hard for them though in fairness. Low numbers of coats and jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Wife picked up a camera light for me. To be fair they are getting ok reviews from what I’ve seen on uk forums. For the money I’d be happy enough with the footage posted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Wouldn’t be happy atall with the merino long sleeve . It’s very wide for a medium and a poor fit. Definitely like a large alright

Advertisement