Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

I recently watched a programme about food from the 70's and they done a taste comparison test between Smash potato powder and homemade mash with a chef doing the taste test both had butter and milk added with seasoning Smash won it!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Following on from the somewhat disappointing Michelin starred dinner the other night, we were back in the same hotel for Sunday lunch.

While Mrs beer's choices weren't fantastic, my meal was excellent,the starter, in particular - confit tomatoes with a cucumber gazpacho. Really good rare roast beef followed. And at a much more palatable price - £47 for 3 courses.

3 course lunch for 10 was considerably cheaper than dinner for 4!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Must be 2% glue then 😅

I used Knorr brand. It's there for emergency purposes...

Edited @the beer revolu

Ingredients

Potatoes (96%), Salt, Emulsifier (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Stabiliser (Diphosphate), Pea Starch, Onion Powder, Antioxidants (Ascorbyl Palmitate, Sodium Metabisulphite), Turmeric, Flavourings

It's got antioxidants and turmeric. Has to be healthy, right? 😁

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/252151636

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Rump steak, red onions, pepper sauce and diced garlic potatoes done in the air fryer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Baked Cumberland sausages with apples, raisin and cider. Mash and greens also.

The raisins were soaked in brandy first. Sprigs of thyme, brown sugar on the apples. Delicious recipe from Diana Henry.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

I had a battered fish wrap with air fried mushrooms and shallots and the O/H had the other steak with the same as I had the other day with corn on the cob.

Must be different versions of the Knorr mash. I found ingredients, online with only 84% potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Simple is one of my favorite cook books.

Lovely dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

A relative living on their own got the Tesco frozen mash recently - as a small side, it was surprisingly tasty and the texture held up very well (I generally hate freezing cooked potato, the texture seems to go all woolly - that didn't seem to be an issue with the Tesco frozen mash).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I always freeze mash & rice in portions . Works incredibly well. Don’t let them thaw. Nike from frozen 🥶

I’ve used frozen mash a handful of times, very handy if I’m unwell and kids need something easy. Not bad if you’re stuck. You just microwave it, add milk butter & mash it more. I’ve also used it once for a cottage pie topping.

Chilli sausages with sweet chilli Jam, diced garlic potatoes done in the air fryer and whole green beans.

Noodles curry sauce breaded king prawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I've gotten a few of those naans and loved them but the last one was paper thin, had it in the oven for two minutes to warm and it crisped up to the point of being inedible

Chicken in a creamy mushroom and tarragon sauce with green beans and basmati rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Using up food before going away for a few weeks. An almond and tomato basil pesto sauce with grated courgette and some grass on top. Lots of garlic and parmesan too. Surprisingly tasty. Might do that one again.

Seeing that my beloved has offered me some spare Bolognese sauce, I am going to convert it into a sort of Chilli con Carne by adding cumin, chilli powder, smoked chilli flakes and black eye beans.

That will go nicely with my leftover rice, and I'll add green beans on the side too, with parsley.

It's all about the parsimony in the igCorcaigh household.

Crème fraisch was a nice addition.

The hard cheese was a Tomme? Chopped rather than grated, but it was good.

• Advertisement

Chicken and Parma ham with a fig and ricotta filling. A surprise hit with the kids.

I also got a 5.8kg full packer beef brisket, excited to smoke this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

6kg of meat! You should be able to feed all of us with that. Where do we go? 😉

Brisket never lasts that long when I'm eating it twice a day after spending the 24 hours smoking it! A lot of hassle, and less forgiving than a pork shoulder. There's every chance I'll **** this up.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd love to smoke a packer brisket but there's no way we'd eat it all.

I don't like eating the same food 2 days in a row!

Not sure I'd be bothered with the overnight smoking either, knowing my luck I'd wake up in the morning and it'd either be blazing hot or will have gone out during the night!

A quick, easy roast. 40 minutes chicken (veg had an hour). Also butter lemon sweetheart cabbage and gravy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Beef Enchiladas....

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Froze some smoked beef and it was delish. It's the little slab on top of the beef ribs here...

Sliced it looks exactly like a brisket type cut. I cubed it before freezing. Had some of it from the freezer into a noodle broth and it was unreal.

I cut mine in half when it was done, I'll freeze half and take it out for another day.

The 2.5kg / 3kg I've kept out, between 5 of us, will last a fair few days, but it'll get eaten. Actually ends up being good value, in a way.

The packers real attraction, though, is the extra fat. It was much easier to get right than the brisket I've made previously.

Made a mother sauce using short rib of beef, cognac, shallots, stock, tomato, mustard, Worcestershire and apple juice.

Served this with bread and slaw for the adults, mash and greens for the kids.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary and, knowing that we would be unable to get out with our five week old baby, my mother-in-law invited us over for a casual early dinner. Casual my eye! The first course was roasted butternut squash soup with cheese scones, followed by two main courses - lasagna, and a chicken in a sun dried tomato and spinach cream sauce, with all the sides, as well as sausages and chips for the five-year-old! Dessert was a ginger and pear cake with homemade honeycomb ice cream. Absolutely delicious. There were also a couple of bottles of Marlborough sauvignon blanc. Rolled home, I was. Dinner tonight was leftovers.

I tried to post a photograph of the delicious dessert but when I did I lost the whole post. I will try again in a while.

Advertisement