Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For sale/wanted (cars/parts/etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why are loads of you here selling next to new EVs all of a sudden.

Im aware of the Tesla price adjustment but selling now is not going to favour anyone surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Because pretty much all those people have ordered a new Tesla Model Y.

Perhaps the car they are selling has dropped €6-7k in value since last Friday, but the Model Y dropped €8k, so they are still better off getting rid of their old car and buying the Tesla than they were before.

There is some anecdotal evidence from regulars in here having sold their 1 year old Kia EV6 for over €50k to a trader, they can buy the superior Tesla Model Y brand new and pocket €4k cash. And have a car that will have near zero depreciation in the next year or so. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why will it have no depreciation? Who's to say he won't drop the prices again? With people's contracts ending with their energy provider and no sign of providers dropping their unit prices, people are thinking long and hard before plugging in the kettle never mind an electric car. I think the EV dream is over.

LOL, I don't think you have done any sums, have you?

Diesel car 6l / 100km, diesel costs €1.60, electric car does 16kWh/100km, electricity costs 7.9c / kWh (this is the night rate that I am actually paying, fixed rate until the end of August 2023). So for 20k km:

cost of diesel: €2,000

cost of electricity: €250

Even if electricity night rate went up to €0.50 per kWh, it would still be significantly cheaper to run an electric car. On top of lower tax, lower insurance, lower tolls, lower maintenance, lower depreciation, etc.

And for anyone with solar panels (more and more people these days thankfully), you can (partially) charge your car up for free. My own EVs will all run near 100% on the sun from late April until late August.

And all that is of course without even discussing the cancer caused by diesel, climate change, etc.

Well despite exploring every available avenue I can't get a D/N meter through my provider so that's a non runner and it looks like esbn aren't going to install them anymore, I'm just going on what others have said here on that one. I don't use tolls. My tax is 140 a year. Insurance has been in the 3 hundreds irrespective of what car I've been driving for the last few renewals, more to do with being ancient than anything else😏. Solar sounds great but my aspect and location really doesn't suit solar. My last hope is that somebody somewhere might actually launch a decent smart meter plan, and there's two hopes of that. The cost of an EV over a petrol car is significant too. How much did your solar cost to install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fella on the Facebook solar group had his day/night meter installed a few days ago.

@CoBo55 - "I can't get a D/N meter through my provider"

What's the story there? Your provider is just your contact point. You ring them up, ask for a D/N meter. And all they do is contact ESB networks to arrange it. Some providers call centres are staffed by people who haven't a clue though. You will have to make sure they get the point you're making. Talk to a supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, you just request it through your supply company. If the person on the phone says no then you need to speak to someone else.

I tried everything with them, looking on their site they don't actually have any D/N plans available, none that I can see anyway. I rang energia asking could I move to them and then get them to request a D/N meter, they said I could but I would lose my new customer discount and would have to pay full price for the remaining 12 months. I wouldn't mind but up to January last year I had been with energia for the previous 3 years....

• Advertisement

So jyst move to Energia and then ask for the EV day night tariff. This will initiate a change to a day night meter.

Still doesn't add up really. Proposed new car and car being sold will have suddenly dropped similar amounts. Why not have gone straight for the the model y to start with?

When exactly? Up until some time in September, the cheapest Model Y was €73k, which is ridiculously bad value for money. Then the RWD was orderable, at €65k still bad value for money (neither qualified for the grant). Then in October, the price was dropped, so the car was €53k (and qualified for the grant) - many people in Ireland ordered one as it was good value for money (see the Model Y thread). Now this has further dropped to €46k, which is insanely good value for money 😁

I tried doing it online but as soon as I enter my mprn I get a message, this tariff is unavailable to you and get smart meter suggestions. On the phone I was told I "might" be able to change the meter but I'd be paying the full unit price. Very very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just seen this thread , didn't see it before , is it for car parts? Interesting reading about EV cars. What's the cheapest EV car these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Yes, as per title. Cheapest EV --> Donedeal, then filter by fuel type. Ask any questions in corresponding vehicle thread. Cheapest will be early Renault Zoes and Nissan Leafs from 2011 onwards.

Cheapest is a €2200 G-wiz. Overpriced by a good €1700 though, worth just hundreds 😂

There's also a battery owned fluence for 3k, a good bargain!

If I hadnt earmarked that same 3k for a deposit on an... ugh... Funky Cat... I'd be already arranging collection of the fluence.

Looks very rough, I spotted it as soon as it went up. If it had been a bit better, I would have bought it earlier this week myself. Still a bargain though, but no profit in it for resale. And not cheap enough to buy just for the battery.

Yes the battery chemistry was outdated 10-12 years ago, it's super out of date now with all the deg. Like gen 1 leaf batteries. Why would anyone buy it when Lifepo4 is so much better and you can get new cells for cheaper than that fluence.

• Advertisement

All depends on the price. I'd gladly buy some 10 year old Leaf / Fluence blocks for €50-60 per kWh of remaining capacity. Unfortunately the market value is even higher than that.

CALB cells new are about €130 per kWh for comparison.

Oh right. I wasnt aware that the Y had gone from 63k to 46k for similar rwd models. That's kinda crazy.

Yes it's bonkers. Well, that last price cut was. I really don't know why they did it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla missed their sales numbers last yr, they're now establishing the 3 and Y as non-premium (even though in Ireland that's still a lot of money) and aggressively attacking that market segment

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

Hey all,

If anyone is looking for a 2nd hand Ioniq 5 Executive, ready to go NOW, i'm selling my own car in excellent condition throughout. Just turned 1 yesterday, 15,400 km.

It comes with a few extras and will be fully valeted before going to its new home:

-5 year service pack (4 left now)

-Tinted windows rear and boot

-V2L adapter

Link to carzone ad: https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/ioniq-5/fpa/202301233512417?journey=Search

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just a word, having worked in the Vehicle Insurance Industry the tinting of any window is considered a vehicle alteration and a report from Institute of Automotive Engineers & Assessors is required and declared with your Insurer.

I think this is a crazy thing and don't want to take the thread off topic but is fact, check with your insurer. Obviously no issue when you're driving around but it will be an issue if you ever have to make a claim.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

Thanks slave1! I did declare it to my insurer but definitely didn't provide any paperwork and don't think I got anything special from them once policy was updated to the new car etc.

I better follow up on this though. Appreciate the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

I think its madness myself - that ID4 GTX is a lovely car & if the owner gets asking price (which is hard job), its still a 13k drop in 6 months. As good as it is, its very debatable if the Model Y is a better car. Definitely no guarantee a new Tesla will provide zero depreciation, Tesla could quickly become the Fiat of the 90's on the used car market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thought that was just for the front windows and windscreen? I saw a car fail its NCT a few months ago 'cause he'd the front windows tinted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

I just look into this more. Loads of ioniq 28kw owners here for windows tinted & roofs & bumpers wrapped.

When I was insuring mine with fbd I asked if I did mine would I need to declare it & they said yes but shouldn't be a problem.

I'll have to ask again before doing it

Advertisement