Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tralee thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

It was Phil Farmer that was next to McElligotts undertakers and I remember the shop was it Slattery's, to go in for the taytos and sweets!
    All you had to give was your account number, no names or anything and the video was given out in a plastic sleeve - it was a nice event going to the Video Shop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I remember Xtra Vision having a small video shop down where the plaza is now now,used go in there with the brother as he was a member,but there was another Video shop franchise there before them in the late 80s,cant remember the name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I found the big Chartbusters in the Horan Centre was much better value than Xtravision before they went pop. Non-new releases were 3 for a fiver, a much wider and varied selection, and they had better offers on new releases - I think it was €4 midweek at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I had forgotten about Chartbusters and I passing it all the time it was there, nice big shop and the selection was good. I must go and look at DVD players, all I have here is the computer and the PS3 to play them - must call in to the Top of the Rock and give the kiddies the experience of it before it goes (hopefully it won't).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

If anyone is having problems with your posts duplicating, it seems to be happening when using 'quick reply'. Boards are aware of it, so try using 'Post Reply' for now. I'm tidying up the threads anyway when there is any duplicates. Seems to still be a few tech issues since the problems started a couple of weeks ago. Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

bobdcow wrote: »
    I had forgotten about Chartbusters and I passing it all the time it was there, nice big shop and the selection was good. I must go and look at DVD players, all I have here is the computer and the PS3 to play them - must call in to the Top of the Rock and give the kiddies the experience of it before it goes (hopefully it won't).

You could probably pick up 10 kids films for a € from Xtravision once they get round to selling their stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Vodafone has moved in the Square to just next to no.4 on the Square.

There's also something going into the old Boots unit, not sure what though.

it may be a clothing store.... Mountain Warehouse? Think i spotted some signage there, believe they are the crowd that were mentioned here earlier in regards to being competition for Landers

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Nearly every weekend when I was a child we'd go down to Chartbusters and pick out a movie. Used to rent games for my Gameboy Advance there too. I know as some people point out people who do not know how to download movies still rent, but unfortunately the times are changing. I haven't rented a movie in I'd say about 8 years if not more, as have most people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    it may be a clothing store.... Mountain Warehouse? Think i spotted some signage there, believe they are the crowd that were mentioned here earlier in regards to being competition for Landers
    Yes Mountain Warehouse is going into where Boots was
    be great to have an outdoor store there which is supposedly good value, but we will see I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Lads & lasses! Looking for a bit of help/guidance here if anyone can provide it!

I've recently relocated to Tralee from Limerick due to my partner (who's a local girl) & i having a baby. So far ally's good, loving the town made new friends etc. I kept my job in Limerick even though the commute is hard on a daily basis & due to not much openings down this way. 3 weeks ago though I was placed on a 3 day a week due to slack business in my job & now basically I've no other choice but to to seek work in this area but I'm finding it hard to obviously get work here and also I'm struggling to even find places to hand cv's into!! I'm constantly scrolling through FAS.ie, Traleeles.ie Monsterjobs etc but nothing!

I've 12 years warehouse,production & manufacturing experience behind plus also delivery experience, can anyone recommend places that might be of interest of me & any other industrial estates besides Clash,Monavalley and Ballyspillane in Killarney because as of yet there they only ones I'm familiar with!

Thanks in advance, and apologises if I'm posting in the wrong forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

gstack166 wrote: »
    Lads & lasses! Looking for a bit of help/guidance here if anyone can provide it!

I've recently relocated to Tralee from Limerick due to my partner (who's a local girl) & i having a baby. So far ally's good, loving the town made new friends etc. I kept my job in Limerick even though the commute is hard on a daily basis & due to not much openings down this way. 3 weeks ago though I was placed on a 3 day a week due to slack business in my job & now basically I've no other choice but to to seek work in this area but I'm finding it hard to obviously get work here and also I'm struggling to even find places to hand cv's into!! I'm constantly scrolling through FAS.ie, Traleeles.ie Monsterjobs etc but nothing!

I've 12 years warehouse,production & manufacturing experience behind plus also delivery experience, can anyone recommend places that might be of interest of me & any other industrial estates besides Clash,Monavalley and Ballyspillane in Killarney because as of yet there they only ones I'm familiar with!

Try Miah Lynch Couriers they might be looking for drivers?

Miah Lynch Unit 3 Monavalley Business Park Tralee Co. Kerry

Dairymaster out in Causeway were looking for staff in a number of positions there before Xmas so check them out as well.

http://www.dairymaster.ie/careers/

Try Liebherr in Killarney as well,be no harm throwing the CV in there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

gstack166 wrote: »

Welcome to Tralee! Good to hear you are settling in well. I hope you find work more local soon. There is a thread within the Kerry board that jobs get posted on from time to time, so keep an eye on that. Check the local papers, Kerry's Eye & the Kerryman for job ads. Best of luck!

Apparently there's some sort of fault at the traffic lights in Ivy Terrace, so to take caution.

http://traleetoday.ie/motorists-advised-take-care-ivy-terrace-traffic-lights-still/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Is it true that Super Max @ Manor West (between Sound Store and Citroen) is going under?? Where in town one could get rye bread now?? :~(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sudaltsov wrote: »
    Is it true that Super Max @ Manor West (between Sound Store and Citroen) is going under?? Where in town one could get rye bread now?? :~(

Most supermarkets sell rye bread surely?

PS I hear McDonald's have a case against Supermacs for similar sounding names as the latter try to launch in Australia and Europe! I'm surprised Supermacs haven't taken offence to the Supermax name!

Also Traleetoday.ie says Mountain Warehouse is opening tomorrow (Feb 5) next to Holland & Barrett in Abbeycourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Higgins waste are jacking up their prices by €3 a week flat charge.

This comes only a year after introducing "pay by weight" system. The bad news is buried in paragraph 4 in a poorly written convoluted letter to customers.

It is very unfair to punish people who have worked very hard to reduce their weight of refuse over the last year. Many will see the gains made fully wiped out by the €3/week or nearly €160 / year increase.

I'm not with Higgins but I know of several pensioners who will be very badly affected by this.

This comes only a year after introducing "pay by weight" system. The bad news is buried in paragraph 4 in a poorly written convoluted letter to customers.

It is very unfair to punish people who have worked very hard to reduce their weight of refuse over the last year. Many will see the gains made fully wiped out by the €3/week or nearly €160 / year increase.

I'm not with Higgins but I know of several pensioners who will be very badly affected by this.

You've been backpacking in the foothills of Everest for the past fortnight?..... Old news
    As Higgins would sing " money talks, well it don't sing and dance and it don't walk.. Etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

What other options are there for bins in Tralee besides Higgins?

Adiboo wrote: »

Flytipping

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

KWD provide the service but it's pricing structure is more expensive for the light user such as pensioners.

€160 a year is some increase! And there is no way to avoid it by recycling or reducing the weight of refuse.

• Advertisement

It's a closed shop really. The contract for waste disposal was won by KWD, they subcontracted it to Higgins... And I think Higgins have to get Dillons to process some of the waste as they don't have the machinery.
    ( I'm open to correction on all of the above, I heard it secondhand)

They have a cheek and they know they have the town sewn up! How they can charge per week when they don't even collect every week (only every second week) is a joke! I used to be able to top up my account by the most €8 and this week I had to do €16. I'm So annoyed by it. I was finding the new system ok, and most of time not paying more than it was originally at the €12.50 ticket.

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Flytipping

which obviously isn't advisable!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

sudaltsov wrote: »

There is a polish warehouse if you go up past Kerry ETB in Monavalley, keep going straight past it and youll see it on your left. They have an excellent selection of bread, cakes, polish and Eastern European food as well. Cheaper than Super Max and their food was much fresher.

EDIT: Just realised my directions were terrible. When you drive up St. Brendans Rd, Turn left when you see the ETB then keep going straight keeping the ETB on your right, when you see st. John of God's on your right, turn left into an area with warehouses and you'll see the place I am talking about on your left. The place is called Mercury.

I think there's still a Polish shop opposite the Kerry School of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

But is it true tat we no longer have the capacity to dispose of our own rubbish so the waste collectors have to export it to Europe so that has increased their costs by a lot so they had to pass this on to customers

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I bring my rubbish up to them. €2 for a big bag of mixed recyclables. Paper, cardboard, tin & aluminium cans and of course glass bottles/jars all free. I compost my organic waste.

Quackster wrote: »
    I bring my rubbish up to them. €2 for a big bag of mixed recyclables. Paper, cardboard, tin & aluminium cans and of course glass bottles/jars all free. I compost my organic waste.

I think that's gone up in price too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I think that's gone up in price too!

That's nuts, they charge per item for electrical waste too, would cost a small fortune if you did a clear out of one's house. There's a Kerry CoCo recycling centre about 5 mins from where I live, everything is free except for rubbish. It's brilliant to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

siblers wrote: »
    That's nuts, they charge per item for electrical waste too, would cost a small fortune if you did a clear out of one's house. There's a Kerry CoCo recycling centre about 5 mins from where I live, everything is free except for rubbish. It's brilliant to have.

Where is the recycling centre? The KerryCoCo website doesn't seem to have an address for it.

Advertisement