Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Country Training Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have a pair of brooks XC spikes, find them great. Very comfy, yet resilient and easy to clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Once you go track, you’ll never go back.

I used the Brooks Mach 13 (150g approx) for a year or two and they were fine but last year I just wore my track spikes (Wire 2 - 103g approx) and they were really, really good. They had no support whatsoever, but I felt there was a noticeable difference between the two - although I didn’t run any longer than 6k in them and they had split by the time of the national novice.

I did buy a pair of spikes back in March in anticipation of the track season, but they’re proper 800-1500 spikes so I don’t think I’ll get away with them over 6k. I’ll probably be looking to get another pair of Wires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Sacksian wrote: »
    Once you go track, you’ll never go back.

I used the Brooks Mach 13 (150g approx) for a year or two and they were fine but last year I just wore my track spikes (Wire 2 - 103g approx) and they were really, really good. They had no support whatsoever, but I felt there was a noticeable difference between the two - although I didn’t run any longer than 6k in them and they had split by the time of the national novice.

I did buy a pair of spikes back in March in anticipation of the track season, but they’re proper 800-1500 spikes so I don’t think I’ll get away with them over 6k. I’ll probably be looking to get another pair of Wires.

My track spikes are Steeplechase spikes which are a basically a fishnet type material so was never able to get away with them.

The Ngong are a great spike, mud resistant, high back lip for extra achilles protection so in terms of the proper mudbath slogs they aare invaluable but they are almost twice the weight of the Brooks so on a faster dry course might be a little too heavy so I have decided to go with the Mach 13 (managed to source them cheaply there) and will try them out.

Again, just my personal experience, but I found that it's a case of the lighter the better even on very muddy ground. Everything gets heavier in mud and the less you're carrying at the start, the less you'll be carrying by the end! But my calves complain more from hard ground - no problem with soft ground, so that's a personal preference.

Brooks are on to the Mach 17 now, so might be worth seeing if you can get a more recent version than the 13s.

Dunno if it might be a runner but if there was enough interest possible organise a boards XC training session in the coming weeks and months. I know most probably train with their respective clubs but if anyone wanted to perhaps meet up somewhere central (PP for Munichs or Polo Grounds for flatter reps) seems to be a decent group of us aiming for it this winter and a group training session might even entice a few lurkers on the thread.

• Advertisement

Is this an elaborate plan for Tallaght to nobble rival club runners ahead of the xc season?

Is this an elaborate plan for Tallaght to nobble rival club runners ahead of the xc season?

Haha not enough of us Tallaght XC runners to nobble even a smallest of training groups :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I used the New Balance XC spikes last year and found them great.

New%20Balance%20XC700v3%20Cross%20Country%20Spikeless%20Men%20-Male%20879_LRG.jpg

Very light and the difference from the Asics spikes I used to have was massive. I have been using my track spikes for the first few XC sessions this year and I'd be tempted to stick with these for the Dubiin Novice if it is dry. Need to make the start line first though:(

Need to make the start line first though:(

Injured?

Injured?

Yea, bit of a weird one. Fell while running on the Bray cliffwalk. Thought the damage was superficial but developed a pain in my ribs that evening. Ran a session of the Munich hills, well half a session and this aggravated it pretty badly. Its been very sore recently so not sure how long it will take to get better. Getting worse if anything but I'm cautiously optimistic its one of those 'gets sorer before it gets better'. injuries. Few weeks out anyway so should make it. Would be gutted to miss out.

• Advertisement

Yea, bit of a weird one. Fell while running on the Bray cliffwalk. Thought the damage was superficial but developed a pain in my ribs that evening. Ran a session of the Munich hills, well half a session and this aggravated it pretty badly. Its been very sore recently so not sure how long it will take to get better. Getting worse if anything but I'm cautiously optimistic its one of those 'gets sorer before it gets better'. injuries. Few weeks out anyway so should make it. Would be gutted to miss out.

Look after yourself, hopefully just bruised ribs and nothing more

Hopefully you make it, but I wouldn't worry too much about missing the Dublin novice if you don't. It's very, very early in the season and you know from last year that a good or bad performance there doesn't mean too much come December, or even March!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

+1 for me on the XC session, I don't mind traveling to the park so long as it's on a weekend.

Edit: However, have races nearly every weekend (apart from this one) up to the 2nd week in October, but definitely after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

ANy word on the Gerry farnan or national venues yet , assume the former is still the Phoenix park , despite some issues last year with course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Anyone have any feedback on the Brooks Mac or Saucony Kilkenny XC spikes?

Have been wearing the Puma Ngong XC spike the last few years and while they are a great spike for heavy duty XC conditions I am looking for something for the drier day.

I've used both Kilkenny and Mach's. Both very good spikes. If I were to choose between both then I'd go with the Mach, as the update is very good. Weighs a little over 110g but has a track spike style sole.

youngrun wrote: »
    ANy word on the Gerry farnan or national venues yet , assume the former is still the Phoenix park , despite some issues last year with course ?

Cross-posted from events...

Athletics Ireland site has been updated with a few extra details:

Autumn Open is Phoenix Park - 18th October

Interclubs on in Santry Demense - 22nd November

National Novice is St.Augustine's College, Dungarvan, Co.Waterford - 6th December

National Intermediate & Masters is Dundalk I.T - 24th January

Intercounties on in the Curragh - 14th February

National Novice is St.Augustine's College, Dungarvan, Co.Waterford - 6th December

This brings back nightmares from my youth (though at the same time my best ever juvenile placing at nationals :P)

Overall though seems to be a relatively flat course calendar.

This brings back nightmares from my youth (though at the same time my best ever juvenile placing at nationals :P)

Overall though seems to be a relatively flat course calendar.

So what's the inside scoop on the course? Remember the lads saying that the course in the WIT is a tough one too. Must be made of sterner stuff down in the Deise

So what's the inside scoop on the course? Remember the lads saying that the course in the WIT is a tough one too. Must be made of sterner stuff down in the Deise

Been a good few years now since I was in the Juvenile ranks however from memory the course is not actually too bad at all in terms of hills, one or two drags down the back fields but other that that only real issues are if it becomes cut up from the earlier races, drainage from what I can remember wasn't the best in one or two patches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Cross-posted from events...

Intercounties on in the Curragh - 14th February

Just need to sell running around a muddy field in Kildare as a romantic day out to the missus now !

• Advertisement

RuMan wrote: »
    Just need to sell running around a muddy field in Kildare as a romantic day out to the missus now !

Ladies Race day, minus the horses ;)

* wouldn't recommend suggesting her Sunday best and flowery hat min you.

Been a good few years now since I was in the Juvenile ranks however from memory the course is not actually too bad at all in terms of hills, one or two drags down the back fields but other that that only real issues are if it becomes cut up from the earlier races, drainage from what I can remember wasn't the best in one or two patches.

Ran the Novice here back in the day , very fast course, and a sideways bank at the back of the lap made it a bit different.

Some decent courses there though the Curragh is a bit dull in terms of terrain, good for spectators I guess.
    Hopefully AAI will give the XC events as much coverage as they are doing wth the Sonia runs and other such events, given the calendar changes and cross country forum etc, XC needs some marketing , promo and a push through with clubs and county boards and RDOs needs to be done as well, imho it makes track and distance runners all the better

4k Short Course XC Championships are being held in ALSAA on 09/01

Leinster Novice is Moyvalley, Co. Meath on 26/10 - don't know what type of course it is.

Dublin Novice this Sunday.

Hope ALSAA is a bit drier than the Intermediates a few years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Dunno if it might be a runner but if there was enough interest possible organise a boards XC training session in the coming weeks and months. I know most probably train with their respective clubs but if anyone wanted to perhaps meet up somewhere central (PP for Munichs or Polo Grounds for flatter reps) seems to be a decent group of us aiming for it this winter and a group training session might even entice a few lurkers on the thread.

I wouldn't mind a recce on the Munich loop in advance of the Open on the 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

First championship race of the season last week, county novice, solid run and good to get out racing again.

Luckily for us, the county board and Munster athletics have done some juggling with the schedule over the last 2 weeks and the spread is much better now. Was going to be 5 races in 6 weeks between county and provincial which had me a bit worried and considering dropping races. There's a 3 week gap now in the middle so there's an opportunity to get some decent mid season training in and not just ticking over from week to week. Plus, it means I should be able to run all of them now.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a recce on the Munich loop in advance of the Open on the 18th.

Would be up for doing something along those lines if we could get a bit of interest in it for certain.

I have a 3x5k tempo planned for next Friday (3 laps of Munich) if it suited people could maybe us elements of that to find a session that suits them best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Would be up for doing something along those lines if we could get a bit of interest in it for certain.

I have a 3x5k tempo planned for next Friday (3 laps of Munich) if it suited people could maybe us elements of that to find a session that suits them best

Sure, I haven't got my schedule yet for next week but it should be 1k repeats for Thursday which I can swap to Friday. Let me know what time of day best and I can palm my kids off arrange childcare.

What did you say, 3x5k??!! :eek:

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Sure, I haven't got my schedule yet for next week but it should be 1k repeats for Thursday which I can swap to Friday. Let me know what time of day best and I can palm my kids off arrange childcare.

What did you say, 3x5k??!! :eek:

Am available all day so any time that suits to be honest.

Ha unfortunately so :( the more the merrier on this also if anyone fancies it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Are the opens definitely on the 18th??

What's a Munich loop?

Advertisement