Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

AKW wrote: »
    Ouch! ;)

Yes this is going ahead with the first scheduled for 10th May. There is a Parkrun Galway facebook page set up.

https://www.facebook.com/knocknacarraparkrun?ref=ts&fref=ts
    AKW, any sign of a parkrun starting in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

jsabina wrote: »
    hello everybody, I would like to do some parkrun, maybe in malahide or griffen or marlay, let's see.

I just started running and I run with my dogs (on leash).
    Would be possible to run with the dogs?

Sorry for the question and don't hate me if it's not possible don't want to do any polemic :)
    I tried to read the FAQ and I asked on the facebook page but no answer.
    If not I'll still come by myself and leave the dogs home!

You're welcome at st annes parkrun as long as you keep dogs on a short lead,don't block the path for other runners and park users and are generally respectful towards the park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Have heard some word that there's been at least one meeting about this, also some detail going out on FB and the like, though have no idea how far along it is.
    I have a barcode already, having signed up to do a few abroad, though having one on my doorstep (a mile warmup to the park), would be awesome.

Afraid I can't commit to helping out just yet as am involved in organising another race at the moment.

Good stuff. Registered myself last night. Will try to sort out a durable laminated barcode soon. I'm about 10km away so will be car or bike i'd say until we get a parkrun on the east side :D
    Will try to help out on occasion once things settle down at work..
    AKW wrote: »
    Ouch! ;)

Yes this is going ahead with the first scheduled for 10th May. There is a Parkrun Galway facebook page set up.

https://www.facebook.com/knocknacarraparkrun?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hehe :D, There was no dig at you there, just wondering if you heard it from someone directly involved or something someone said they heard from their friends 2nd cousins next door neighbour :D:D Oh God, that sounds worse, I better just stop typing :D:D
    I'll take it as going ahead so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bisso

In Ardgillan we are fine with a dog as long they are on short leads and start near the back, as was said earlier. We have one runner who I think has completed nearly all of our runs so far with his dog without any problems. We average around 100 runners a week so probably not as big a deal for us compared to somewhere like Marlay or Malahide with around 500 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Killerz wrote: »
    You're welcome at st annes parkrun as long as you keep dogs on a short lead,don't block the path for other runners and park users and are generally respectful towards the park etc.
    same with Malahide too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Hehe :D, There was no dig at you there, just wondering if you heard it from someone directly involved or something someone said they heard from their friends 2nd cousins next door neighbour :D:D Oh God, that sounds worse, I better just stop typing :D:D
    I'll take it as going ahead so :)

The race director is a guy called Rob Partridge.

I'm so impressed with him as he started running in January of this year, not wanting to be a 'runner' and well within 9 weeks he was truly hooked on running. He may be a newbie in terms of race organisation and involvement but I've no doubt this will be an excellent event (nope, I'm not involved! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

jfh wrote: »
    AKW, any sign of a parkrun starting in Limerick?

Nothing that I've heard. Though I wouldn't put it past the Athletics Limerick guys to start looking at it. I've just got on board with the Feet on the Street. so fingers crossed it's an idea that can be floated out.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

gingerbus wrote: »
    Hi All,

Work is well on the way towards starting a new parkrun event outside Drogheda on the grounds of Oldbridge Estate. At this point, we're looking for a small group of volunteers to get the thing off the ground - some bodies committed to turning up on Saturday mornings to handle the timing etc.

Drop me a PM if you're interested...

Any update on this as to when it's likely to start ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

bisso wrote: »
    We have one runner who I think has completed nearly all of our runs so far with his dog without any problems.

Does the dog have his own barcode? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Does the dog have his own barcode? :)

No, they just give him a woof estimate of his time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

lads how far from the city centre are the dublin parkruns? lets say from O'Connell Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Raheny is about 4 miles from O'Connell Street, Marlay about 5.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

slingerz wrote: »
    lads how far from the city centre are the dublin parkruns? lets say from O'Connell Street?

St Annes Park is 6km.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    RayCun wrote: »
    Raheny is about 4 miles from O'Connell Street, Marlay about 5.5 miles

Cheers lads we would be Park run tourists from the Castle Demense Park run so which ever is easiest to get to via Bus will suit us best! I like the look of St. Anne's seems to be nice and flat anyway.

Any experiences of the courses with you guys and which you would prefer? Looking forward to seeing a large number at the parkrun, we generally have ~50/60 at ours although we had 100+ the day Sonia O'Sullivan came to take part!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've only run Marlay, but I think Raheny is flatter... there are buses that stop outside Marlay, but you can get the DART to Raheny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Has anyone heard anything about a KilKenny based Parkrun? There was mention of it a good while ago on the Parkrun Ireland Facebook page but I've heard/ read nothing since...

In terms of public transport you can get the Dart from Connolly Station to Malahide. Once you get off the Dart you need only cross the road and you'll be at the meeting point for Malahide Parkrun.

In terms of public transport you can get the Dart from Connolly Station to Malahide. Once you get off the Dart you need only cross the road and you'll be at the meeting point for Malahide Parkrun.

How long of a train ride would this be then?

How long of a train ride would this be then?

It depends which train you get but generally between 19 - 25 minutes.
    In terms of Saturday morning I just checked irish rail:
    Depart Connolly 08:24 - arrive Malahide at 08:49
    Depart Connolly 08:49 - arrive Malahide at 09:08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Looks like its official - just got a newsletter from Parkrun Ireland and Knocknacarra, Galway starts as previously stated on May 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It depends which train you get but generally between 19 - 25 minutes.
    In terms of Saturday morning I just checked irish rail:
    Depart Connolly 08:24 - arrive Malahide at 08:49
    Depart Connolly 08:49 - arrive Malahide at 09:08

I think all of the Dublin parkruns are easily accessible by public transport. Naas (I know it's not in Dublin) is also only a few hundred yards from the bus stop or 2.5 miles from the train station, and that's about the furthest walk/jog of any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gingerbus

gingerbus wrote: »
    Hi All,

Work is well on the way towards starting a new parkrun event outside Drogheda on the grounds of Oldbridge Estate. At this point, we're looking for a small group of volunteers to get the thing off the ground - some bodies committed to turning up on Saturday mornings to handle the timing etc.

Drop me a PM if you're interested...

Hi All,

Still looking for some more volunteers for getting the Drogheda parkrun off the ground, in the Oldbridge estate - I've created a Facebook page to track progress and broaden the net:

https://www.facebook.com/oldbridgeparkrun

Don't be shy! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Looks like Kilkenny is starting a parkrun
    PARKRUN KILKENNY - CASTLE PARK -VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!! Meeting Thurs 12th June 7:30pm

KRSP will host an information meeting on the establishment of Parkrun Kilkenny to be held at the Castle Park on Saturday mornings at 9:30am.

Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. We would like to see this become an option for Kilkenny.
    Please come along on the evening and spread the word!

Guest Speaker will be Mr Matt Sheilds from Park run; Meeting details:

Date: Thurs 12th June 2014
    Venue: St. Patricks Parish Centre
    Time: 7:30pm

Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world.

I know the world is a smaller place these days but that's just ridiculous. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pauliemck

Murph_D wrote: »
    I know the world is a smaller place these days but that's just ridiculous. :pac:

You'd be surprised; there are parkruns in Ireland, UK, Denmark, Australia, South Africa, Poland, New Zealand, USA and Russia.

Getting pretty close to worldwide if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

pauliemck wrote: »
    You'd be surprised; there are parkruns in Ireland, UK, Denmark, Australia, South Africa, Poland, New Zealand, USA and Russia.

I got your joke MurphD...

pauliemck wrote: »

I know parkrun is worldwide. That's not what I meant. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pauliemck

There I go, opening my big mouth before looking for the humour in a comment. Nice one MurphD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

I did one of these yesterday in Oldbridge, and in answer to the OP, I think this would encourage me to take part in a local 5k race.

Either way, great initiative, only found out about it on Friday. I'll definately be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Any plans for waterford?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement