Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I agree, added 3 mins to my usual 5k time although a min of that could be down to fitness etc. is this the course going forward or just a once off change?

I will check with the race director when I talk to him later and post an update.
    As far as I know, multiple routes have been mapped within Ardgillan.
    One of the original routes which goes through the fields on the top of the domain would have been too wet yesterday to accommodate runners.

A quick update on this week end Ardgillan Run : some slight changes with Start and finish line , more details to follow on the FB page.
    Hope to see you on Saturday as I'll be on Scanning duty ... [ so be nice to me , it's my 1st time ... ]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Marlay Parkrun is coming to your TV this Friday ...
    PARKRUN ON TV!! This Friday 21st March, 7pm, the RTE Nationwide tv programme will include a feature on Marlay parkrun. Anne Cassin and her team were along last week to film all you runners and volunteers, and get an insight into the amazing phenomenon that is parkrun. It could be a great opportunity to showcase an example of a parkrun community in action, so if you can, please get the word out to the wider running community near you. Thanks parkrunners.

https://www.facebook.com/marlayparkrun

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gingerbus

Hi All,

Work is well on the way towards starting a new parkrun event outside Drogheda on the grounds of Oldbridge Estate. At this point, we're looking for a small group of volunteers to get the thing off the ground - some bodies committed to turning up on Saturday mornings to handle the timing etc.

Drop me a PM if you're interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Skid X wrote: »
    Marlay Parkrun is coming to your TV this Friday ...

https://www.facebook.com/marlayparkrun

It seems to be parkrun in the media week! We had the Irish Times along at St. Anne's last weekend, they took some great photos and a super video too. For those that haven't seen them, check them out:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/video?vid=1.1729379
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/gallery/park-run-and-get-running-graduation-1.1729462

Parkrun is really coming along in Ireland - we have some great events here, with a high bar set by plodder and the team at Malahide since they kicked the whole thing off almost a year and a half ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,

Anyone do the parkrun in Naas on Saturday?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I did, it was my first time out at Naas and my first parkrun. Good experience and will do more.
    You'd need to give yourself about 15mins to get from the car park to the start line. I parked at 9:20 and was just up to the start for 9:30 so missed some of the warm up stretches but had done some at home so felt I was well covered. The track itself is nice to run on, it's tarmacadam and well maintained. At a few points there's wood chippings where the horses would be crossing same but grand underfoot. Got a new pb for a 5K so was happy with how it all went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

St Anne's & Ardgillan parkruns both cancelled this week.
    Malahide will probably be busier due to this and the fact that Sonia O'Sullivan is due to run there with her daughter.

Also an apology to Krusty on the Ardgillan website:

"We had another new first finisher in the men's placings Eoin Woolley coming first in a time of 19:22 in his first parkrun followed by another first timer Eamonn O'Sullivan and Brian Moore (Star of the sea) who has improved his time and placing in each of his 6 runs here, The placings could have been different but for a wrong turn by the early leader, sorry I didn't get your name and hopefully we'll see you again in Ardgillan."

Fair play to them.

Krusty, if you're reading I found this on their Facebook page:

1381673_649192765117405_1536920855_n.jpg

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm glad to see it's not an apology, as they did nothing wrong. I took the wrong turn. It would be great though (bearing in mind that these are all volunteer-led efforts) if the Parkrun maps could be updated to reflect changes to the courses which would help directionally-challenged runners like me to 'recce the course beforehand and reduce chances of pleasant self-guided tours of remote castles!

Anyone know if it is difficult to update the course map, once it has been initially published?

Perhaps someone could add a link to their Ardgillan Garmin Connect tracklog here:
    parkruns
    Malahide castle
    Marlay park
    St. Anne's Park
    Castle demesne Macroom
    Westport

• Advertisement

I'm glad to see it's not an apology, as they did nothing wrong. I took the wrong turn. It would be great though (bearing in mind that these are all volunteer-led efforts) if the Parkrun maps could be updated to reflect changes to the courses which would help directionally-challenged runners like me to 'recce the course beforehand and reduce chances of pleasant self-guided tours of remote castles!

Anyone know if it is difficult to update the course map, once it has been initially published?

I was thinking that myself. Apparently Ardgillan have a few measured routes so even if you studied the one that's published on the website it may not be the one used on the day (which appears to be what happened to you?)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself. Apparently Ardgillan have a few measured routes so even if you studied the one that's published on the website it may not be the one used on the day (which appears to be what happened to you?)
    Nah, no such excuse. I ran past a volunteer who didn't realize I was part of the parkrun and my flawed leap of logic while interpreting a sign that was facing backwards failed miserably. Still, the castle is a sight worthy of high praise, early on a Saturday morning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are a couple of alternative routes for my local parkrun that they use depending on the weather and how precious the groundsman is feeling towards his pitches that week. Although you would be doing very well to manage to get lost at any point seeing as it's just variations on where the start and last lap of the park is.

Counting the wrong number of laps would be the biggest issue.

robinph wrote: »
    There are a couple of alternative routes for my local parkrun that they use depending on the weather and how precious the groundsman is feeling towards his pitches that week. Although you would be doing very well to manage to get lost at any point seeing as it's just variations on where the start and last lap of the park is.

Counting the wrong number of laps would be the biggest issue.

Plenty of jockeys have done that around a few of the gaff tracks in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just got notification of this addition on Facebook:

parkruns
    Malahide castle
    Marlay park
    St. Anne's Park
    Castle demesne Macroom
    Westport
    Castlebar
    Griffeen
    Knocknacarra, Galway
    A few of us got together and have started a parkrun in Galway! Taking place every Saturday at 9.30am at Cappagh Park, Knocknacarra, starting May 10th. It's free to enter you just have to register at parkrun.ie and bring your barcode with you. We need runners and volunteers. If you're interested in doing either or both or just want more info sign up to the mailing list at http://goo.gl/Zq6jM4 Please tell anyone you think might be interested and share this with your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bisso

Hi all

This is the Ardgillan route we have used for the last 7 weeks (week 1 had the laps gong the opposite way) Basically it is down along the path and through the trees to the bottom half of the park, one large lap on the path anti clockwise and then the smaller lap and finish up the same path/hill you came down.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/469690407

http://connect.garmin.com/course/6125296

Not sure how to add it to the list of other routes. Hope that is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

parkruns
    Malahide castle
    Marlay park
    St. Anne's Park
    Castle demesne Macroom
    Westport
    Castlebar
    Griffeen
    Ardgillan Parkrun
    Naas
    Knocknacarra, Galway

Added Naas. Couldn't find one for Clonakilty though. On the course maps, they are surprisingly difficult to update. All of that stuff is managed centrally, and it takes days to get changes made. The best thing always is to check the local facebook page for latest course info. Sometimes there might be a map of sorts on it if there is a significant change.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

gingerbus wrote: »
    Hi All,

Work is well on the way towards starting a new parkrun event outside Drogheda on the grounds of Oldbridge Estate. At this point, we're looking for a small group of volunteers to get the thing off the ground - some bodies committed to turning up on Saturday mornings to handle the timing etc.

Drop me a PM if you're interested...

Any more information on this parkrun. Would be great to see go ahead

Are you affiliated to any club? DDAC have big numbers so would be good to see them on board

What's the course likely to be, flat or hilly? I'm afraid to try Ardgillan due to the hills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

yaboya1 wrote: »
    St Anne's & Ardgillan parkruns both cancelled this week.......

We have an agreement with the park to defer to other large events taking place on the same day. I think over the course of the year, this will happen 3 or 4 times which really is minimal in the grand scheme of things. BHAA uses pretty much the same area of the park for its race, which is on this Saturday at 11am. We are off on the 19th too due to the Battle of Clontarf festivities. Awkward that they are not two weeks in a row or have a wider break, but them's the breaks and it gives us an opportunity to go steal Token #98 from other parkruns.

Has to be done through requests from the event team to central parkrun IT as far as I know. Apart from a couple of sections of the website, the Event Director/ team doesnt have direct access to edit stuff. Or if they do, no-one has told me how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

AKW wrote: »
    Just got notification of this addition on Facebook:

parkruns
    Malahide castle
    Marlay park
    St. Anne's Park
    Castle demesne Macroom
    Westport
    Castlebar
    Griffeen
    Knocknacarra, Galway

Knocknacarra, Galway??
    Has This been confirmed?? No sign of anything on parkrun website... Credible source??

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

hello everybody, I would like to do some parkrun, maybe in malahide or griffen or marlay, let's see.

I just started running and I run with my dogs (on leash).
    Would be possible to run with the dogs?

Sorry for the question and don't hate me if it's not possible don't want to do any polemic :)
    I tried to read the FAQ and I asked on the facebook page but no answer.
    If not I'll still come by myself and leave the dogs home!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A lot of parkruns are OK to run with dogs, usually if not it will be down to the local rules of the park. They do ask that you only run with one, on a short lead, and start from the back.

That said I have done a parkrun with a couple of dog runners who started at the front, but they were very fast dogs and very fast runners so made a swift get away and didn't cause any holdups. The number of runners in some of the Irish parkruns may be an issue though so if you are running with dogs then be aware that there are several hundred other people all going the same place you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Knocknacarra, Galway??
    Has This been confirmed?? No sign of anything on parkrun website... Credible source??

Have heard some word that there's been at least one meeting about this, also some detail going out on FB and the like, though have no idea how far along it is.
    I have a barcode already, having signed up to do a few abroad, though having one on my doorstep (a mile warmup to the park), would be awesome.

Afraid I can't commit to helping out just yet as am involved in organising another race at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

belcarra wrote: »

Is griffeen two laps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Is griffeen two laps?

Yep, 2 identical laps.

Knocknacarra, Galway??

here you go : https://www.facebook.com/knocknacarraparkrun

jsabina wrote: »
    hello everybody, I would like to do some parkrun, maybe in malahide or griffen or marlay, let's see.

I just started running and I run with my dogs (on leash).
    Would be possible to run with the dogs?

Sorry for the question and don't hate me if it's not possible don't want to do any polemic :)
    I tried to read the FAQ and I asked on the facebook page but no answer.
    If not I'll still come by myself and leave the dogs home!

Naas specifically state dogs are not allowed: "In consideration of our landlords and their business dogs are not allowed at this event."
    I think most of the others are ok with it though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Knocknacarra, Galway??

Ouch! ;)

Yes this is going ahead with the first scheduled for 10th May. There is a Parkrun Galway facebook page set up.

https://www.facebook.com/knocknacarraparkrun?ref=ts&fref=ts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement