Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Cheers had a look at those sites. The route 66 guys have some machine there. I would love to build my own but I don't have a work shop. Has anyone ever gone to a steel fabricator and priced them making one I am guessing it would be very expensive for a one off job like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Montjuic

Hi,

Anyone have any ideas on good steak recipes or techniques for a gas BBQ a Weber?

Also I find the gas BBQ doesn't sear the steaks as good as I like basically I want them nicely quickly seared on the outside rare inside. Even though I have it on full blast lid down etc it still doesn't sear them good enough

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I find if you put the BBQ up full blast, then baste your steaks generously with cooking oil (note: not olive oil), as the oil drips down, it creates a flame which colours your steaks nicely, while leaving them pink in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Montjuic - All you need for BBQing steak is in this thread. Merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey,

Hoping someone in here can advise as to what the best charcoal is for low and slow cooking.

Don't want to be spending a fortune and would be looking to buy in bulk. All web searches are bringing up american brands that are seemingly unavailable over here. Weber charcoal is very expensive also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Try this. 2,5kg about 3-4eur in polish shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tom75 wrote: »
    Try this. 2,5kg about 3-4eur in polish shop.

That's the one I always use. Never have any problems with it. It's proper charcoal too, i.e. not briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

4 day weekend means it's time to get the BBQ out! Doing some ribs at the moment, first of the year.

Cooking them on my WSM, 225-250f, usually takes 4.5-5hrs. I learned using the 2-2-1 method (2hrs on the bbq, 2hrs wrapped, 1hr unwrapped to finish, sauced or not) and still use it as a rough guide, u can usually tell when they're ready for each step by the look and feel of them. Once they have a bark, have started to pull back from the bone and have a good bit of flex in them they're ready to wrap. You can do them without wrapping but I like to wrap em.

Ribs, membrane removed
    344053.jpg

Rub applied, usually I use mustard to help it stick but ran out so just used coconut oil.
    344055.jpg

After sitting for a couple of hours
    344056.jpg

Lash em on, sit back n relax...
    344057.jpg

After around 2hrs.. Ready to wrap.
    344059.jpg

I use melted butter. usually honey but I had none so maple syrup and brown sugar.. If I had some i'd stick in a bit of apple juice. Wrap tightly, I use 3-4 sheets tinfoil to do this. At this stage u could stick em in the oven to finish them off and free up space on ur BBQ or stick em back on the BBQ.
    344060.jpg

I'll leave them on for close to 2hrs and see what they're like then.. I'll unwrap them, sauce them and stick them back on for 30 od mins to let the sauce set.. Then I'm gonna eat them, all of them!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What kind of bbq is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

beertons wrote: »
    What kind of bbq is that?

Weber smokey mountain

Just to finish up..
    Wrapped heavily and stuck back on for around 2hrs.
    344100.jpg

After being unwrapped. The butter, sugar and maple syrup (or honey) create a savage sauce. You could eat them like this if you wished, I like to sauce them to add to the flavors..
    344101.jpg

Saucing them and then giving them another 30 odd mins to set. Usually I'd cut the sauce down with apple/orange juice, coke, beer, whisky,honey and add a few extra spices/rub... but amazingly enough I didn't have a thing in the house (this was a last min decision to do these ribs today...) You'd get a much slicker finish with a cut down sauce too.
    344102.jpg

Nice smoke ring, I used one chunk of hickory and one of apple wood. Less is more when it comes to wood. I've seen people dump in a whole load of wood, fine when you're working with a meat that can take the heavy smoke (pork shoulder, brisket) but with ribs, chicken less i the way to go (heavily smoked chicken is mank!)
    344103.jpg

One satisfied stomach!
    344104.jpg

Hopefully this will give someone an idea as to how to go about getting the best ribs u've ever had.. Same can be done on a kettle BBQ, I've done 2-3 racks on my kettle, used my WSM today just to blow (burn) the cobwebs off it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There are many great things you could do for a BBQ, chicken wings, thighs and use the breast for skewers. Potato salad and a million other things.
    One could prepare days ahead to get everything right.
    In reality it's "The rain has stopped! Quick, light some coal, throw anything on the barbie and hope it's dry for long enough!"
    Usually then the midges arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

<Mod note: There's no need to quote a huge post with multiple pictures>

Nice to see somebody else using a WSM, I brought one in from the States many years ago before they were available in Ireland, used to be an active member of the Virtual Weber Bullet. Since I bought a Big Green Egg the WSM has been put to the back of the shed. I must dust it off and do some ribs and maybe a butt, the WSM does the best ribs I've ever tasted. Keep her lit :)

I've has mine about 6yrs now... Big weber fan, they're gear is built to last.. Mine sit out all year round, decent cover is all they need. Wouldn't minding giving a BGE a go sometime.

Just finished preparing some beef ribs there... Sure what else would I'm be doing at 12.30 on a sat night... BBQ for 12 adults and 8 children tomorrow. Should be a bit of craic....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

What have you attached to your bottom vents? is it a fan to get temp up?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I'd say it's a BBQ Guru to control the temp.

BBQ Guru Party Q Uses a temp probe to measure internal temps and then controls the airflow to maintain it. Handy for long cooks, eats batteries for breakfast though, working on modding it to take an ac adapter so I can just plug it in.

Pricer models have loads of featuers, wouldn't mind wifi so I could check temps without having to get off me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

thats a great piece of kit..saves getting up every three hours during the night when doing some brisket!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Hi all,

I've been BBQing for a number of years now but only recently bought a Weber Master Touch 57cm which promises to take things to a whole different level. I picked up the large Weber Chimney Starter with it and have been using it with great success for lumpwood charcoal, it really is phenomenally easy. However, I've made a couple of attempts at using briquettes (Weber long lasting stuff) and could not get them to light!
    I've been using balls of newspaper with the lumpwood and can see plenty of videos of people using the same method with briquettes, but it just won't work for me. I have the chimney about 2/3 full and it initially looks like it's going to take but never does, having left it for 20-25 minutes, not even slightly. I've since picked up some fire lighters and I'm going to try those but any tips would be really appreciated as I'd like to start doing longer cooks and would prefer not to have to keep topping up with lumpwood every so often to maintain temperature.

The weber charcoal briquettes are muck. I've had the same issues as you, impossible to light and they give out sod all heat...

Bnq used to sell charcoal that came in a small glossy bag, can't remember the brand but they gave out savage heat... I tend to just use lumpwood all the time now, better flavour and more heat.. They burn a bit quicker but that just requires a top up every now n then.

unklerosco wrote: »
    The weber charcoal briquettes are muck. I've had the same issues as you, impossible to light and they give out sod all heat...

Bnq used to sell charcoal that came in a small glossy bag, can't remember the brand but they gave out savage heat... I tend to just use lumpwood all the time now, better flavour and more heat.. They burn a bit quicker but that just requires a top up every now n then.

Thanks for the reply, I was attracted to the briquettes potentially requiring less work, but I'll give the lumpwood a whirl instead and try to get the balance right. Your ribs looks amazing btw.

Make sure you just get std lumpwood n not the easy light stuff that's soaked in lighter fluid..

unklerosco wrote: »
    Make sure you just get std lumpwood n not the easy light stuff that's soaked in lighter fluid..

Cheers, any particular brand you'd recommend? What about that polish stuff someone mentions a few posts back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Charka is great if you're going to use charcoals.

I just found this thread and amazed that I haven't been here before. I love braaing (BBQ) and smoking.

I have two webbers at the moment although its too hot here for them this time of year.

I do our turkeys on the braai each year and go down a treat. One smoked, one un-smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I just seen the ribs, they look great. I usually wrap them with a bit of white wine in the wrap for the first hour.

Its rare to have ribs (pork) here though as the price and quality are terrible.

Shred wrote: »
    Cheers, any particular brand you'd recommend? What about that polish stuff someone mentions a few posts back?

Aldi had some great charcoal in last year, at least I think thats where I got it.. still have some left, burns very hot n lasts quite long.

Woodies is the only main chain that I've found that sells un-soaked charcoal, it's not bad.. been using it for a few years.

This crowd sell a good range of fuels (and BBQs), plan to stick in an order with them soon.

http://www.aroomoutside.ie/big-k-lumpwood-charcoal-5kg.html

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    Charka is great if you're going to use charcoals.

Cheers, after a (quick) google search it looks like it mightn't be available here though, did you buy some here previously?

Advertisement