Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Are there any good deals around for charcoal at the moment? I’m on Dublin so either it’s local or needs to be able to be bought online for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

maddness wrote: »
    Are there any good deals around for charcoal at the moment? I’m on Dublin so either it’s local or needs to be able to be bought online for now!

Getting mine in Lidl, €5 for 5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

clivej wrote: »
    Getting mine in Lidl, €5 for 5kg

How is that Lidl charcoal?

I haven’t bought yet, there was an open bag the last time I was in and it looked very bitty and crumbly so I avoided it. Might buy a bag for simple cooks like just firing on a few burgers or sausages some evening rather than something longer if it’s any way alright?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How is that Lidl charcoal?

I haven’t bought yet, there was an open bag the last time I was in and it looked very bitty and crumbly so I avoided it. Might buy a bag for simple cooks like just firing on a few burgers or sausages some evening rather than something longer if it’s any way alright?

It's genuinely awful.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Brian? wrote: »
    It's genuinely awful.

The lidl charcoal can be hit and miss.

In fact any charcoal can be hit and miss. Usually the more expensive brands are decent but the odd batch can be useless.

For home bbq'ing I find bbq briquettes easier to cook with and last much longer than charcoal lumpwood.

Each to their own of course, keep playing around with different methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

3kg pork butt just gone down on the WSM, made the Memphis dust rub posted on here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

maddness wrote: »

Used BarBeQuick stuff last week I had in the shed. 57cm Weber smoker. One 15kg bag lasted from 10am and was still going at 11pm. Woodies have it.

840684a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

FixitFelix wrote: »
    3kg pork butt just gone down on the WSM, made the Memphis dust rub posted on here

Excellent! Finished pics please! :D

Excellent! Finished pics please! :D

Will do mateðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Thanks for the replies about charcoal. I tried the Lidl stuff before and it’s sh1te. Must get some of the BarBeQuick lumpwood. Anyone else order online?

• Advertisement

Little before and after of the pork butt from today
    Used Memphis Dust rub
    Apple wood
    Took roughly 10.5 hours bone pulled out clean and was tender and juicy :)

GZpDku8T_t.jpg

JU2LCkcR_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The Nal wrote: »
    Used BarBeQuick stuff last week I had in the shed. 57cm Weber smoker. One 15kg bag lasted from 10am and was still going at 11pm. Woodies have it.

840684a.jpg

I've been using this stuff for a couple of months and it's been consistently good. Lasts for ages and can do high/low temps really well. Not sure if it's available in Ireland but worth keeping an eye out

https://www.kamadojoe.com/collections/fuel/products/kamado-joe%C2%AE-big-block-xl-lump-charcoal-30-lbs-2-pack

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

I tried my first slow cook yesterday in a weber mastertouch, 1.5kg pork shoulder, but it came out more like a giant pork chop than the tender pulled pork I was hoping for. I'm not sure if the toughness was from being cooked too hot, or just not for long enough (was on for about 6.5hrs).

first of all, where on the grill should I put a probe for the ambient temp? I did the charcoal snake method, with the meat in the centre of the grill, and the ambient probe clipped on the grill behind it, so it was shielded by the meat really, is that right in terms of placement? Temperature was kept pretty well between 102C/215F - 110C/230F on that probe.

And second, if I'd left it another few hours would it have gotten more tender? Internal temp had gotten up to 75C/167F. Had planned to give it longer but dinner was already running late!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

simonw wrote: »
    I tried my first slow cook yesterday in a weber mastertouch, 1.5kg pork shoulder, but it came out more like a giant pork chop than the tender pulled pork I was hoping for. I'm not sure if the toughness was from being cooked too hot, or just not for long enough (was on for about 6.5hrs).

first of all, where on the grill should I put a probe for the ambient temp? I did the charcoal snake method, with the meat in the centre of the grill, and the ambient probe clipped on the grill behind it, so it was shielded by the meat really, is that right in terms of placement? Temperature was kept pretty well between 102C/215F - 110C/230F on that probe.

And second, if I'd left it another few hours would it have gotten more tender? Internal temp had gotten up to 75C/167F. Had planned to give it longer but dinner was already running late!

Internal temp needs to be upwards of 195F before it'll pull apart. Might have needed another 2+ hours, or you could have wrapped it at that point to speed up the remainder of the cook.

simonw wrote: »

Everything else sounds right, your internal temp needs to get to 96°(205°f) for pulled pork. Trial and error, always give yourself plenty of time if you're guessing 7 hrs give yourself 9.

Sundays Beef ribs currently 2.5hrs in, St louis ribs below:)

c3jWQYoY_t.jpg

SMPnYWGv_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Please let us know how you get on with the beef ribs, have done them once but was disappointed with the amount of fat, probably was a bad cut i got

Please let us know how you get on with the beef ribs, have done them once but was disappointed with the mount of fat, probably was a bad cut i got

Will do

47cm Weber Smokey Mountain display model on sale in Woodies Carrickmines. €285. Down from €500.

Speaking of beef ribs. Froze these a few months ago. They reheated well last night. Put them in a pot with the sauce, covered with parchment paper and a lid and simmered for an hour or so. Fall off the bone goodness. Didn't even need a knife.

IMG-20200919-202408.jpg

47cm Weber Smokey Mountain display model on sale in Woodies Carrickmines. €285. Down from €500.

Speaking of beef ribs. Froze these a few months ago. They reheated well last night. Put them in a pot with the sauce, covered with parchment paper and a lid and simmered for an hour or so. Fall off the bone goodness. Didn't even need a knife.

IMG-20200919-202408.jpg

Looks tops

• Advertisement

Finished product of beef ribs 10.5hrs on WSM

38f9KzbS_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What are you all using to upload your photos?

What are you all using to upload your photos?

Imgbox

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Finished product of beef ribs 10.5hrs on WSM

38f9KzbS_t.jpg

Looks great, lots of meat no fat and juicy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

840684a.jpg

One 15kg bag? I use about 6kg of Weber briquettes for the same time on the same smoker.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    One 15kg bag? I use about 6kg of Weber briquettes for the same time on the same smoker.

No actually having just checked it was a 4.5kg bag. Used a handful from a 2nd bag so maybe 5kg all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Huge bags of lump wood in the choice shop in Naas here. Made by a company called alder wood “used by the finest restaurants” it says, so it must be good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Huge bags of lump wood in the choice shop in Naas here. Made by a company called alder wood “used by the finest restaurants” it says, so it must be good! :)

Is that a green bag? I got some in a garden centre a few weeks back. Reasonably good, some nice big chunks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

No actually having just checked it was a 4.5kg bag. Used a handful from a 2nd bag so maybe 5kg all in.

That's a lot of charcoal. On my kamado, if I fill the firebox (use around 2kg) and then get it to 225F, I can reasonably expect only half the charcoal to be fully used after 8 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

That's a lot of charcoal. On my kamado, if I fill the firebox (use around 2kg) and then get it to 225F, I can reasonably expect only half the charcoal to be fully used after 8 hours.

Same. My Kamado Joe is positively mean about using up charcoal.

Advertisement