Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

rx8 wrote: »
    No I didn't report it as it seemed to be the same for everyone, not just me. If the Tesla had been getting 100kw, then I would have been unimpressed. I met the Ionity tech guy there the first time and he said the 70kw I was getting was very good. This was at a SOC of 40 - 60 +%.
    I checked the Ionity App later to try to report it but there didn't appear to be a report section.

What are you driving again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

What are you driving again ?

This ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

This ;)

Maybe if you get a chance and you’re near Kilcullen you could try the 150kwh charger just to compare. If you get a better result that’ll confirm Ionity is the issue. If not then the upcoming software update on the ID3 will sort it out for you.

This is an extract from Chris. utube channel battery life.His experience with Ionity looks very good.

Charging time from 2% to 100% SOC was about 65 minutes. Because the power is gradually decreasing, it's probably worth stopping charging at 60-70% SOC, as it takes just about half of an hour (moving to 90% requires an additional 20 minutes).

Charging times:

2%-60%: 25 minutes
    2%-65%: 28 minutes
    2%-70%: 31 minutes
    2%-80%: 39 minutes
    2%-90%: 50 minutes
    2%-100%: 65 minutes

This ;)

On Ionity the ID.3 should pull 100 Kw until around 33 - 34%.

Should be able to replace 30.6 Kwh in 20 mins, that's not bad at all.

• Advertisement

I can't wait to see Winter charge times with a cold battery.

I can't wait to see Winter charge times with a cold battery.

Yes it’ll be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Irishjg wrote: »
    Yes it’ll be interesting.

I'm not sure I understand the issue around DC charging a cold battery. In what circumstances will this happen? Any time I've DC charged, I'm on a long run, having left home with a full charge. By the time I need a charge, the battery is warm enough to take full rate.

Are we talking about charging just after starting in the morning, or in very cold weather where the battery doesn't heat up enough during discharge? It's not something I'm familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm not sure I understand the issue around DC charging a cold battery. In what circumstances will this happen? Any time I've DC charged, I'm on a long run, having left home with a full charge. By the time I need a charge, the battery is warm enough to take full rate.

Are we talking about charging just after starting in the morning, or in very cold weather where the battery doesn't heat up enough during discharge? It's not something I'm familiar with.

For this country it’s a problem for short range cars. Not going to be an issue for your long range car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »
    For this country it’s a problem for short range cars. Not going to be an issue for your long range car.

Shouldn't be a problem if you drive it like you stole it, though I suppose if you try and baby the car to push the range then you'd still be stuck, which cars are affected, I don't think we ever saw slowed charging in winter on either of ours, but then we'd generally be rapid charging on motorway journeys.

• Advertisement

Ireland is more than cold enough to slow down battery charging even in the height of Summer where at night it can get down to 10 deg C or even a bit less, if the battery is under 21 degrees it will prevent the battery taking a higher rate of current due to increased internal resistance, it slows down the chemical reaction in the battery.

If you have a fully charged battery then by the time you run this down enough for a charge on a long trip it may be warm enough where as if you have the car sitting all day and need to fast charge it could take a lot longer to reach 80% say if you stay in a hotel over night or a BnB.

Some cars that charge over 100 Kw such as the model 3 require a temp of 50 odd Degrees C but will preheat the battery prior to arrival at the fast charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Charged today at Kill North my id3. First charger did not work. Moved to next one and was getting 96kw/h at about 22%. Charged to 83% for free thanks to vw offer for id3 1st buyers.

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Charged today at Kill North my id3. First charger did not work. Moved to next one and was getting 96kw/h at about 22%. Charged to 83% for free thanks to vw offer for id3 1st buyers.

96 Kw isn't bad to be honest, think it maxes out at 103 Kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

96 Kw isn't bad to be honest, think it maxes out at 103 Kw.

It was a gloriously warm day though - bet he won't get that speed in Winter.
    It'll interesting, as you say :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Charged to 83% for free thanks to vw offer for id3 1st buyers.

As a fellow ID3 Ist prebooker, I forsee hoards of angry, non VW CCS car owners, unable to get a charge due to ID3 hoggers, hogging the Ionity chargers, sucking every last drop of juice out of them, charging to 100%, because it's free.

Historically, free = hoggers at chargers :p.

Well wear btw :).

Kramer wrote: »
    As a fellow ID3 Ist prebooker, I forsee hoards of angry, non VW CCS car owners, unable to get a charge due to ID3 hoggers, hogging the Ionity chargers, sucking every last drop of juice out of them, charging to 100%, because it's free.

Lol well at least they’ll be fast charging instead of using the Kramermodel 500 charging lead @ 500 watts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »

It wasn't an issue for me in my 28kWh Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Was not that warm when I was there. Maybe 13 degrees?
    30 min should be enough for id3 1st owners so we shouldn't be blocking ionity for others if used correctly.

It wasn't an issue for me in my 28kWh Ioniq.

No it wasn't because you're committed to charging.....:D

Yep if it's free that's going to be an issue alright, no doubt about it. So they'd want to put in a lot more chargers to be honest.

Is it free for life or so many Kwh ?

• Advertisement

If the battery is cold then not a chance it will probably be slow as f1ck unless VW have some way of heating the battery and I don't think there has been any mention of battery heating ?

Was not that warm when I was there. Maybe 13 degrees?
    30 min should be enough for id3 1st owners so we shouldn't be blocking ionity for others if used correctly.

It's battery temp that matters, cold can be a real issue. Ireland is more than cold enough to greatly effect charging power.

I'd be interested to know is the cooling system water or AC, the i3 has the best system out there for cooling, very compact and light with 3-4 times the heat transfer over water systems which might be a reason the charging curve is what it is on many cars out there including the model 3, the i3 cools directly by refrigerant, a really great system which also makes me wonder why the 120 Ah doesn't charge faster than 50 Kw ? you can drive the nuts out of the i3 and fast charge all day and the battery will never get hot.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If the battery is cold then not a chance it will probably be slow as f1ck unless VW have some way of heating the battery and I don't think there has been any mention of battery heating ?

Chances of having a cold battery at a fast charger are kinda slim though. Drive, thus warm battery, need to charge, charge with warm battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yep if it's free that's going to be an issue alright, no doubt about it. So they'd want to put in a lot more chargers to be honest.

Is it free for life or so many Kwh ?

1 year or 2000kWh

Chances of having a cold battery at a fast charger are kinda slim though. Drive, thus warm battery, need to charge, charge with warm battery.

Yes and no, depending on whether or not driving actually warms the battery up enough and this doesn't help if you are staying away from home and want to charge the next morning, the solution, charge the night before after you've driven it which might not be possible or practical, maybe the fast charger is 10 kms away or more.

I would imagine it's less of an issue on a 50 Kw charger where the battery won't need to be as warm and unfortunately there's a lot more of those around.

MJohnston wrote: »
    1 year or 2000kWh

Yeah I can really see Ionity busy with a lot more ID.3s around + any future models of whoever is funding Ionity might also offer free Kwh, I don't think that's a good idea, they need to get the finger out and install more chargers, then it won't be so much of an issue if they had say 5 times the amount of chargers.

I got some very interesting details on the MEB platform so head over to the id.3 forum, winter charging might not be so much of an issue but might depend on a few factors, I'll post the details there in a few mins. A lot of you who haven't seen this will be impressed.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

1 year or 2000kWh

A year so. 2000kWh from ionity in less than a year would be impressive/dedicated. Might get ya hooked on their speed though, so you pony up the extra rates in year 2+

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A year so. 2000kWh from ionity in less than a year would be impressive/dedicated. Might get ya hooked on their speed though, so you pony up the extra rates in year 2+

By next year, VW may have launched We Charge in Ireland, and if that follows the same model as elsewhere, ID3s will get We Charge Go for no monthly fee, which means €0.55/kWh with Ionity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

By next year, VW may have launched We Charge in Ireland, and if that follows the same model as elsewhere, ID3s will get We Charge Go for no monthly fee, which means €0.55/kWh with Ionity.

WeCharge is already available here, I was able to sign up for a free account with the e-Up!

Advertisement