Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

The Soprano's is mentioned several times in this thread!

Well no harm mentioning them again to be sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Well no harm mentioning them again to be sure..

Best series ever made no question, just about to finish my 8th rewatch, still picking up new things and still getting great laughs especially from Paulie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Last episode of the Succession rewatch tonight and I'll miss it as my nightly distraction

Not sure what's next but there's some great suggestions in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Best series ever made no question, just about to finish my 8th rewatch, still picking up new things and still getting great laughs especially from Paulie.

Yup, couldn't agree with ya more.

Have you listened to any of the Taking Sopranos podcasts with Steve Schripa and Michael Imperioli? Some good insights and interviews with the cast and crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Yup, couldn't agree with ya more.

Have you listened to any of the Taking Sopranos podcasts with Steve Schripa and Michael Imperioli? Some good insights and interviews with the cast and crew.

Just started the first one during the week, looking forward to getting through the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I started watching Unforgotten based on a few posts here. It is a really engrossing show. Not as flashy as Luther or even Line of Duty, more like Broadchurch or Happy Valley but still totally captivating. Feels similar in tone to the Nordic noir like The Killing or The Bridge. I really like the angle of how a crime from decades ago can come back to haunt the people involved even if they are now leading very different lives. Nicola Walker is a compelling protagonist too.

Highly recommended if for fans of the genre

Succession finished

What an amazing show. It's only had two seasons so far and could genuinely be an all time great if HBO lets it go to around 5 seasons

What next?

What's the best TV show of the 2010s in your opinion?

Classics from the last decade already watched include:

Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Game Of Thrones
    (It had some great moments. I've still to watch the last season because I heard it's appalling)

I need to finish:

Veep
    Silicon Valley

I found the latter to be amazing in places but it repeated itself a lot as the seasons go on

Suits is really excellent. Whatever else you might think about Meghan Markle, that girl can act.

Suits is really excellent. Whatever else you might think about Meghan Markle, that girl can act.

I bailed early in the season where
    one of the characters goes to prison
    First couple of seasons of it are good though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Succession finished

What an amazing show. It's only had two seasons so far and could genuinely be an all time great if HBO lets it go to around 5 seasons

What next?

Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Game Of Thrones
    (It had some great moments. I've still to watch the last season because i heard it's appalling)

I need to finish:

Veep
    Silicon Valley

I found the latter to be amazing in places but it repeated itself a lot as the seasons go on

The Americans definitely deserves a watch if you haven't seen it. For some reason it never achieved the popularity it deserved unlike Breaking Bad which skyrocked in its last few seasons. The performances by Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell are some of the best I've seen on TV.

Hannibal is also worth a watch especially for Mads Mikkelsen. It sadly got cancelled before they could introduce Clarice Starling but the existing seasons are still brilliant.

Fargo is great too, especially the first two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Succession finished

What next?

Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Game Of Thrones
    (It had some great moments. I've still to watch the last season because I heard it's appalling)

I need to finish:

Veep
    Silicon Valley

The rewatchability of Breaking Bad is what makes it such a great show each time you see it. You notice small things you missed and gentle hints about future episodes.
    like the teddy in the swimming pool missing an eye etc

Hannibal is also worth a watch especially for Mads Mikkelsen. It sadly got cancelled before they could introduce Clarice Starling but the existing seasons are still brilliant.

I watched the first 2 seasons and didn't view the third when I saw it was cancelled

Bryan Fuller planned a 6 season arc so I'm presuming loads of storyline threads were left unresolved from season 3

Schitt's Creek set a new Emmy record last night with 7 wins for a Comedy show

Does it live upto the hype and what show could it be compared to in tone etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brotherhood is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Paranoid, very good, only found it by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have just started Why Women Kill, Jack Davenport and Lucy Liu are great in it, it is from Marc Cherry who created Desperate Housewives

Only 2 seasons here with 17 x 30 minutes or so episodes in total

Mr Inbetween

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7472896/

About an Australian fixer / hitman / father of young daughter / mate to his mates.

Dark but smart and self-aware with the main character being equally straightforward and violent (when necessary)

Worth a watch for sure.

If you like the dark side of something like "Breaking Bad" this will appeal I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Shows we've watched over the last year

Ray Donovan - Consistently very good
    Rectify - Excellent drama
    Yellowstone - Gets better and better
    Succession - See above
    Billions - Gone to sh1t, but first few season are really good
    The Morning Show - Great cast, and looking forward to season 2
    Ozark and BCS on Netflix are both pretty great too.

Going to start zero zero zero at the weekend.

After that, it's either the Sopranos or Gomorrah.
    My wife has never seen the Sopranos and i'd be glad to re-watch.
    Neither of us has seen Gomorrah, and my wife isn't keen on subtitled series.

Also, the wire, deadwood, six feet under are all amazing tv.

Finished zerozerozero last night. Very good.
    I think it's from the guy who did Gomorrah, so we'll be starting into that after we watch the Comey rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think it's from the guy who did Gomorrah, so we'll be starting into that after we watch the Comey rule.

Agree. Yes the makers of Gomorrah are behind it

Watch the film from 2008 first imo and the film Suburra from 2015 ( there is also a series of that but get the film).

Liked ZeroZeroZero but found the Gomorrah series not as good.

• Advertisement

Halt and Catch Fire

Recommended by many in this thread

I'm "acquiring" the first episode right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Has Search Party been mentioned I love this show.

Hard to describe this show maybe dark comedy.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5460226/

Collateral - very good, police vs MI5 etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

bladespin wrote: »
    Collateral - very good, police vs MI5 etc etc.

BBC4 is repeating this series starting Sunday week (18th Oct).

brian_t wrote: »
    BBC4 is repeating this series starting Sunday week (18th Oct).

Available on Netflix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Schitt's Creek set a new Emmy record last night with 7 wins for a Comedy show

Does it live upto the hype and what show could it be compared to in tone etc?
    First season is hard work and a bit forced in places. Most of the way through the second season and it has settled into a nice groove. Been told it keeps it up.

For those who might be interested Emily in Paris is good fluff, predictable but has funny moments. Didn't get past Episode 3 but I can see the big attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

glasso wrote: »
    Only 2 seasons here with 17 x 30 minutes or so episodes in total

Mr Inbetween

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7472896/

About an Australian fixer / hitman / father of young daughter / mate to his mates.

Dark but smart and self-aware with the main character being equally straightforward and violent (when necessary)

Worth a watch for sure.

If you like the dark side of something like "Breaking Bad" this will appeal I would say.

Where can I watch this. Sounds like I would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Just finished S2: E4 of Mindhunter on Netflix.

Exceptional stuff so far. Thoroughly engrossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

joeguevara wrote: »
    Where can I watch this. Sounds like I would love it.
    It's brilliant..

.. might be on Amazon Prime.

• Advertisement

Is Gomorrah good?

Stuck between starting that and the Pacific.

Advertisement