Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Most people? As in the majority of people? Are you for real??

Btw bat cross species transfer was just one of many speculations in the first weeks.. it is as likely to be from pangolins.... But may never be known.

But just as a matter of fact (general , not SARS specific) cross species infections do occur from ingestion...and people in certain areas in China do ingest bats

If you only saw the variety of animals available to buy/eat in some so called wet markets
    Honestly most people are getting on with their life and are trying to see a way forward, in my personal experience of this. Or they don't feel qualified to comment. Of those I know who do have some qualified background, there's a lot of quiet contemplating and wariness both of the lack of evidence for a natural source and the conspiracies swirling around it. Some accept there will be no true way to know, though I believe the longer a clearly natural history is established, the more skeptical the world will be about what happened in China.

The pangolin hypothesis has become increasingly shaky btw as more genomic analyses have come to light in the literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Honestly most people are getting on with their life and are trying to see a way forward, in my personal experience of this. Or they don't feel qualified to comment. Of those I know who do have some qualified background, there's a lot of quiet contemplating and wariness both of the lack of evidence for a natural source and the conspiracies swirling around it. Some accept there will be no true way to know, though I believe the longer a clearly natural history is established, the more skeptical the world will be about what happened in China.

The pangolin hypothesis has become increasingly shaky btw as more genomic analyses have come to light in the literature.

You have taking to replying to replies on some one else's post

"Most people" referred to thierry12 very exaggerated comment that most people thing the virus is man-made. Most people? I'd love to see the source data for that

And again, answering his comment I said "as likely" that does not equate to likely. They mean different things. Saying as a reply it's as likely to be pangolins as bats is not the same as saying it's likely to be bats..I've said multiple times no one can say for now

And as for these qualified people in quiet contemplation and wariness.....what does that add to the the question( and my initial query was how the nonsense in this thread can be considered serious discourse on current affairs). What qualifications ? How many people? How many equally qualified people hold differing views ( or are not in contemplation in an aura of wariness)

Independent qualified scientific authorities have clearly stated there is no reason to believe it's a man made virus (let alone released or escaped from a lab) it can be googled easily..... You can even find it on Baiidu

Any one with a brain knows there will be no concrete resolution regarding the source and initial spread for years if every.. so all the conjecture...and at times the blatant reiteration of conspiracy theories serves no purpose..

The thread came up on a feed and I read some thinking it actually had something to contribute , not the rubbish it immediately descended into

News of people becoming reinfected, of babies born with the virus, of those who seem resistant etc all contribute to the debate... Terribly written "whistleblowing" articles don't.
    Not least when they barely amount to a "might be"

And now my battery is at 2% so it's time to wrap this..rest until I have to write a heartfelt apology when this monumental articles are peer reviewed and proven to be correct and true

I met up with a Chinese friend recently who went home for a few weeks in June. She says that the theory in China is that it was a mess up at the lab and that the government paid the WHO a bomb to cover it up. And that there have been a lot of "Car Crashes" and other untimely deaths of people from the lab.

I got a WhatsApp meme saying something similar. It's basically fact at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Trump right so this is a Chinese made virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

She's been published in the Lancet back in march and virology in 2018. I'm really hoping a publisher of note interviews her and not just loose women.

The demeaning way in which Dr Li has been referred to by numerous publications is appalling e.g. the telegraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

thebaz wrote: »
    You seam happy with how WHO have handled the pandemic / situation - I'm not - A few months ago they (Dr Ryan) were saying we should go down the Sweden road , the one country that did not adhere to ther advice

This keeps getting repeated a lot.

If my memory serves, in April dr. Ryan said the Swedish model might be the one to go with in future pandemics.

And in May he said it's dangerous to think countries who haven't done anything will suddenly reach a herd immunity, because humans aren't herds.

Has he said something different since?
    I'm open to correction as to what/when he said those things.

---

Meanwhile, I guess we'll wait for Dr. Yan's proof. I wouldn't have published too many medical studies myself (in fact, the number is very, very low) but if I had something to say, I probably wouldn't go on Loose Women or talk to Steve Bannon.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    She's been published in the Lancet back in march and virology in 2018. I'm really hoping a publisher of note interviews her and not just loose women.

The demeaning way in which Dr Li has been referred to by numerous publications is appalling e.g. the telegraph.
    I feel sorry for Dr Li, but I'd love to understand what the benefit to science was by creating chimeric viruses that posed increased infectious risk in mammals was. That proving an artificial recombination posed a risk to humanity? (well duh) or that it could happen naturally with circulating betacoroniviruses? (Isn't that kind of obvious after influenza's H1N1 example?) There are good reasons why the US NIH imposed a moratorium on these kinds of studies in 2014.

In a contextual sense, gain of function studies will draw skepticism on the wider field of science like a lightning rod when what's being done in a lab then ends up appearing nature in an analogous way. What good does it do go undertake such risky research when it can serve to undermine public faith and funding in pandemic surveillance and prevention?

When you say "loose women", what are you getting at here? Are you comparing the author of the so-called smoking gun paper to a prostitute or am I missing something?!

Independent qualified scientific authorities have clearly stated there is no reason to believe it's a man made virus (let alone released or escaped from a lab) it can be googled easily..... You can even find it on Baiidu

Any one with a brain knows there will be no concrete resolution regarding the source and initial spread for years if every.. so all the conjecture...and at times the blatant reiteration of conspiracy theories serves no purpose..
    I cut out the rest, what I reply to here or what your battery life is, or when you condescend to reply, isn't even slightly relevant. Why in blazes would anyone in their right mind use a censored Chinese search engine to investigate anything of note in an impartial way regarding what goes on in the PRC?

With SARS, we had some good leads established during the same year of the outbreak (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12958366/), which have been confirmed and expanded upon ever since. The real way to actually show a natural origin would be to, well, find close common ancestors circulating in the wild and not offer up some 96% similar bat virus that would mean its closest common ancestor was many decades ago. As has been demonstrated consistently throughout 2020, this is a remarkably stable RNA virus at the genomic level and to accept this as a normal run of the mill event in nature without even a decent phylogenetic tree to back it up is blindingly myopic and presumptuous.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Moved to Conspiracy Theories. Please note that their charter now applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I cut out the rest, what I reply to here or what your battery life is, or when you condescend to reply, isn't even slightly relevant. […] Why in blazes would anyone in their right mind use a censored . As has been demonstrated consistently throughout 2020, this is a remarkably stable RNA virus at the genomic level and to accept this as a normal run of the mill event in nature without even a decent phylogenetic tree to back it up is blindingly myopic and presumptuous.

Again with the attributing of characteristics to someone you don't know, and without foundation. None of my replies have been condescending in regard to the important task of trying to identify the origin of this virus

And your contribution regarding the knowledge currently held on the virus origin would be interesting but for the fact you are totally missing the point

I responded in this thread because I queried the idea that this level of discourse could seriously be considered a rational, objective , fact-based contribution to current affairs. In addition I then responded to some of the clearly ridiculous statements as if fact such as "most people2 believe it is man made ( which even if true is irrelevant - beliefs do not make facts. )

So you continue to argue with me as if I am denying that the origin of the virus could be manmade; I never said any such thing. I said at this time no one can determine it is or isn't. The CDC said there was nothing to suggest it was man-made.

So I was commenting initially on this thread itself, and then on some of the blatantly sensationalist conspiracy theories. You are talking about the possible origin of the virus - these are different things .

I am not sure why you would take your time to do so in this thread , where there is so much irresponsible commentary with no level of backup to statement of facts . But for the sake of clarity ; you need no longer direct any argument towards me regarding the origin of this virus; I do not, and have not here, disputed anything in that regard.

I posted because I stumbled across the thread, and was curious how many would refute the sensationalism etc. I am surprised that some one with your competence decided my contribution - which was directed at the thread - was more necessary to comment on - rather than the recurring themes that every body knows that the virus was manmade by China, down the road, and they left international flights open so as to destroy the world economies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Fox News “China holds US citizens hostage in virus death trap city”

Fox news is partisan but its usually reliable and fair. The problem is they don't all cover the stories but the ones they do cover are well covered so your hypothical isn't realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I feel sorry for Dr Li, but I'd love to understand what the benefit to science was by creating chimeric viruses that posed increased infectious risk in mammals was. That proving an artificial recombination posed a risk to humanity? (well duh) or that it could happen naturally with circulating betacoroniviruses? (Isn't that kind of obvious after influenza's H1N1 example?) There are good reasons why the US NIH imposed a moratorium on these kinds of studies in 2014.

In a contextual sense, gain of function studies will draw skepticism on the wider field of science like a lightning rod when what's being done in a lab then ends up appearing nature in an analogous way. What good does it do go undertake such risky research when it can serve to undermine public faith and funding in pandemic surveillance and prevention?

When you say "loose women", what are you getting at here? Are you comparing the author of the so-called smoking gun paper to a prostitute or am I missing something?!

Gain of function research has been around a long time, e.g.

https://www.nature.com/news/engineered-bat-virus-stirs-debate-over-riskyresearch-1.18787

Can't believe this has been moved to conspiracy theories. She's a respected researcher published in Lancet...

I dont think Beijing would see it this way
    Loose women is a tv show that interviewed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Why on earth has this been dumped in the conspiracy thread? It’s literally mainstream news and belongs in current affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

splashuum wrote: »
    Why on earth has this been dumped in the conspiracy thread? It’s literally mainstream news and belongs in current affairs.

The paper itself is questionable in its intentions (funded by what is essentially an anti-china political group) and doesn't actually prove anything regarding it being definitely manmade.

The subject matter is definitely up for discussion though as we can't be fully sure of where it originated

The paper itself is questionable in its intentions (funded by what is essentially an anti-china political group) and doesn't actually prove anything regarding it being definitely manmade.

The subject matter is definitely up for discussion though as we can't be fully sure of where it originated

The science should stand on its own merits. When National Economic and Social Council (a social justice quango) or TASC (a social justice lobby) publishes their studies I don't dismiss it as conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,528 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

From the Original Post:
    Dr. Yan has since had to flee to the US in fear of the CCP.
    The incredibly detailed report can be found here :https://www.scribd.com/document/475993573/

It is now fair to say that its a conspiracy theory to believe this virus was entirely natural.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5903613/chinese-defector-virologist-publishes-explosive-proof-coronavirus-man-made/

https://www.itv.com/loosewomen/articles/virologist-dr-li-meng-yan-coronavirus-cover-up-claims

These claims have already been debunked and were sadly given new oxygen by Fox News Channel's highest rated program.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Overheal wrote: »
    These claims have already been debunked[/URL] and were sadly given new oxygen by Fox News Channel's highest rated program.

That debunking article acknowledges another possibility, which in my opinion is most likely. The virus may be natural and was being studied in the lab. It may have been released by accident.

I thought 5G caused it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,528 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Several off topic posts deleted. As always if you have a problem with a moderator decision contact the corresponding moderator first; if you can't reach an understanding take it to the Help Desk. Final notice. Thank you for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

The most likely scenario is that the virus was taken from Chinese caves where the horseshoe bat is prevalent. The virus was then brought back to the WUHAN virology lab to study and alter. (this was admitted in various articles). It was then leaked either by accident or on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

bobbyy gee wrote: »

So we are dealing with either independent liars or a massive cover up.

This indeed is interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

NaFirinne wrote: »
    So we are dealing with either independent liars or a massive cover up.

This indeed is interesting times.

Ermm...yes to the liars. No to the coverup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A good article and sanity check on why Yan's paper is very likely nonsense from Nat Geo.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/09/coronavirus-origins-misinformation-yan-report-fact-check-cvd/

Yan has published a paper with no evidence, a poor hypothesis and one that quite frankly given its timing and sources of support is very more likely a propaganda piece, than a work of credulous research.
    The report also argues that SARS-CoV-2 has “restriction-enzyme sites,” or genetic sequences that can be cut and manipulated by enzymes. These genomic features are sometimes used in cloning, and the report claims their presence is indicative of an engineered virus. But scientists point out these sites naturally occur in all types of genomes, from bacteria to humans.

“It looks legitimate because they use a lot of technical jargon. But in reality, a lot of what they're saying doesn't really make any sense,” says Rasmussen. She adds that the type of cloning that uses restriction enzymes is very outdated, and so it is unlikely to be used to make a viral bioweapon. And on a basic level, making an engineered virus is not a trivial matter. Scientists are still just trying to understand the molecular and genetic reasons why some viruses are more infectious than others. Adding features to a virus to make it more transmissible, for example, is called gain-of-function research. It is highly controversial for its potential to make bioweapons and was even banned in the U.S. for a time, limiting the data available on how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

banie01 wrote: »
    A good article and sanity check on why Yan's paper is very likely nonsense from Nat Geo.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/09/coronavirus-origins-misinformation-yan-report-fact-check-cvd/

Yan has published a paper with no evidence, a poor hypothesis and one that quite frankly given its timing and sources of support is very more likely a propaganda piece, than a work of credulous research.

I am not saying the Yan paper is good but I am more interested in the russian-american guys article which highlights that the gain function research is controversial but has links to the group working in Wuhan and in fact the USA has been worried about Chinese activities in this area, it doesn't seem like that area of the rebuttal holds water.
    The Chinese are absolutely awful about bioethics, look at the CRISPR stuff for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Batman.... Half bath half man...new Batman film coming out...virus from bats....virus got into man...BatMan..... omg

• Advertisement

Advertisement