Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best cattle weighing scales

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Obvisously the 300kg calf was superior quality though??

No same quality just younger & lighter.
    The younger lad was shipped the other 2 were too heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

No same quality just younger & lighter.
    The younger lad was shipped the other 2 were too heavy

Oh right. Well that makes sense alright. Cheers

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Oh right. Well that makes sense alright. Cheers

I'm not the best at explaining myself

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Anyone get a scales using tams ?

What down side to doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Got an O'Neill scales under tams safety grant, no problems with it, the only pain was we went for the 8ft, and it's definitely needed if weighing fr blks, even contis are the full of it. But because it's based on a reference cost you only get the grant on what they say it costs. Only other thing about it was you need something else with it to get over the 2000 minimum threshold.
    Looking back I think I'd possibly have gone the route of a full crate even if it was a good bit more money, it'd leave it a lot easier weighing as once there in it there right rather than trying to see if all feet are on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

what sort of money would a crate work out at and would the grant be still be based on the dept. reference cost of the weighing scales at€1300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Weighed them regularly & sold them when they were 300-350kg

How many calves does he sell and how often does he go to the mart.
    If he only had 3 to sell I can't see him going to the mart with 2. That said if he'd only 3 I can't see him investing in a scales either.

cute geoge wrote: »
    what sort of money would a crate work out at and would the grant be still be based on the dept. reference cost of the weighing scales at€1300
    Shop around but they're that ballpark

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Monitoring is extremely useful if you're a weanling producer, it lets you see if you're on target for the sales.

This is the reason I am hoping to get one. In sucklers anyway I think we all need to know what calves ADG is and that will tell us how good a cow really is. I know you look at the calf and say that's a super calf but maybe the ADG isn't as good as we think.
    Chatted a lad in the mart awhile ago, he brought 3 bulls to the sale, 2 big & 1 lesser. His trailer was out of action & a friend brought them as he had a few to sell to.
    He got €900 for 450kg for the bigger & €900 for 300kg for the lesser.
    3 fine bulls.
    If that man had a scale he wouldn't of been feeding 300kg for nothing.
    He thought the bigger were 350kg
    With the way the market is going this is another reason to know weights so that you can target the proper customer. I'm selling the Autumn born bulls next week hopefully because I think they are the right weight for the exporters but I wont know till they are on the scales

Weighed them regularly & sold them when they were 300-350kg

How many calves does he sell and how often does he go to the mart.
    If he only had 3 to sell I can't see him going to the mart with 2. That said if he'd only 3 I can't see him investing in a scales either.
    There comment that I replied to said a scale is handy for dosing & finishing and not needed for weanling production, so I remembered this story & shared it to highlight that weights are hugely important when producing weanlings, as knowing your weights is key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Zr105 wrote: »
    the only pain was we went for the 8ft, and it's definitely needed if weighing fr blks, even contis are the full of it.

Would bullocks be 8' from their front legs to their back legs? Just thinking would a finished lad not fit across an 8' cattle trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

croot wrote: »
    This is the reason I am hoping to get one. In sucklers anyway I think we all need to know what calves ADG is and that will tell us how good a cow really is. I know you look at the calf and say that's a super calf but maybe the ADG isn't as good as we think.

With the way the market is going this is another reason to know weights so that you can target the proper customer. I'm selling the Autumn born bulls next week hopefully because I think they are the right weight for the exporters but I wont know till they are on the scales

If one cow has a calf putting on .3 kg day more than an other calf but the other calf sells for more. What Fies that tell you? Weight and price are most important things in suclking. Not adg or price per kiko

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

If one cow has a calf putting on .3 kg day more than an other calf but the other calf sells for more. What Fies that tell you? Weight and price are most important things in suclking. Not adg or price per kiko
    One thing it tells me is the one with more milk is the one I'll keep replacements off. Maybe it's not for everyone but I'd prefer to have all the information rather than guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Muckit wrote: »
    Would bullocks be 8' from their front legs to their back legs? Just thinking would a finished lad not fit across an 8' cattle trailer?

No, they easily fit on an 8' scale.

Muckit wrote: »

It's not so much they don't fit on it, it's that your trying to get them on and stand still, the extra bit of space gives you more of a chance to get them right on it

Zr105 wrote: »
    It's not so much they don't fit on it, it's that your trying to get them on and stand still, the extra bit of space gives you more of a chance to get them right on it
    Is there a Fn button that will allow the display the static weight

Is there a Fn button that will allow the display the static weight

Once they don't shift too much for 3 seconds the weight will lock and hold so long as they don't move a leg and take the weight off it

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

I bought the scales unit for £250 of a uk company. Just have to get a platform made now. I am sure you'll find better but you wont find cheaper

Cathal, what's the name of the UK company you purchased off

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Hagimalone wrote: »
    The price has gone up or maybe I am thinking of an ex vat price.
    I just need to make platform and I am away

http://m.monsterscales.co.uk/Warehouse_Beam_Weigh_Scales_10274_10276.html?category_id=88

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭zetor 4911

Cathal did you make the platform and how did it turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mushy06

Hagimalone wrote: »

http://m.monsterscales.co.uk/Warehouse_Beam_Weigh_Scales_10274_10276.html?category_id=88
    Hi there Cathal, 
    Whats the Display like with that unit? is there an FN button that reads weight after 3 -5 secs?

It's still sitting in the shed have to get it going

It's still sitting in the shed have to get it going
    if we have time we'd be dangerous :D

Has anyone any experience with Autosupply weighting scales in Roscommon?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En9u13FX-X0

That's what I bought but I bought it direct from the company in the U.K. Who supplies auto supply I think it was £250 plus vat direct. I still have to hook it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just digging up this thread as I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a scales through TAMS.
    Is TRU TEST still the best scales on the market or are there other scales that people would recommend over it.

TRU TEST scales with S3 indicator is coming in at €1600 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Getting them to keep the left hind leg in the channel is a task in itself. A flat platform would be better suited for accurate weighing and ease of use.

platform_scales_5.jpg

Advertisement