Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car 2 cycle rack suggestion?

• 16-09-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

We have two old bikes, men's and women's. We have a 2015 Peugeot 2008 and a 2019 Toyota Corolla each with the hatchback rear door, ie no boot. Neither have a tow bar. A tow bar for the Peugeot is I think around €500. We had one on our previous car but never had a use for it so I'd be reluctant to spend that much. OTOH we'd pay more than the Amazon £60 if it gave us a sturdy one for two bikes that was not too hard to put on and off. Thule online are very expensive at over €300. We'll probably have to import it from UK or EU as local shops say they won't have supplies till October.
    So: any suggestions please?
    TIA
    Patrick
    Tagged:

Comments

would a standard halfords one not do you?

you can check on their site in advance for compatibility with your car model

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

would a standard halfords one not do you?

you can check on their site in advance for compatibility with your car model

That was quick snoopsheep, thank you. I've read a few threads here and seen some who thought the halfords was poor quality and damaged their car.

jesus i hope not, i bought one last month and havent used it yet!

i was up at decathlon the other day and they had quite a few options, towbar and strap. might also be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Might be worth looking into sea sucker, no towbar needed and can be used on any car. I got one recently and is great (once you get passed the initial worry that it's gonna fall off).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

https://www.thule.com/en-ie/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-clipon-3-9103-_-910301

If this one fits your car, is very good. Easy to instal and remove. Had one in the past and was worth the money paid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You can get a tow bar put on 250

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

IMO, these are the only racks that will not “damage” your car. By damage, I mean very minor scratches.

Www.seasucker.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Can’t go wrong with a Saris bones 2

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Crippens1

Can’t go wrong with a Saris bones 2

I highly recommend Saris Bones. I've a second hand Saris Bones 3. They're extremely versatile; I've used it on both an SUV and a soft-top.

They come up on Adverts.ie now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I have a Honda civic 2006 hatch. It's a nightmare trying to find something decent to carry bikes on. I had a rear rack on it but it's a glass boot all around the top and they are known to shatter so haven't used it in a while.
    Other than that, it was €25 in home store and done the job for my bike and 2 kids bikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement