Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

hayoc wrote: »
    Heated is common, but Steam Spin?

Maybe it was a heated spin class. But it was described to me as steam spin. The person telling me could have had it wrong though. Chinese whispers n all that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Surely the data must show, by now, if they have had outbreaks associated with the gyms reopening?

Well, I don't really know... I agree there must be some emerging data at this stage. But to what extent it is a focus of NPHET, who knows.

It just has gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools closed at Level 4 and 5, there doesn't seem to be any ambiguity.

Looking at the plan, it's hard to square closing exercise classes at Level 3 while reopening wet pubs though... Hard to believe that's in any way data driven and not simply Irish politics in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Looking at the plan, it's hard to square closing exercise classes at Level 3 while reopening wet pubs though... Hard to believe that's in any way data driven and not simply Irish politics in action.

Agree. Some of the decisions seem wildly contradictory with others.

Asked in my gym this morning if Level 3 = individual working out but no classes and they said yes, however, they have not been told to close to the school swim sessions which they all feel are more dangerous and have far more people in close proximity in a wet environment as opposed to a class of 6 people in a big room working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Agree. Some of the decisions seem wildly contradictory with others.

Asked in my gym this morning if Level 3 = individual working out but no classes and they said yes, however, they have not been told to close to the school swim sessions which they all feel are more dangerous and have far more people in close proximity in a wet environment as opposed to a class of 6 people in a big room working out.
    Doesn't the chlorine in the water kill virus's. So just the changing area to worry about? Plus children are less likely to carry I thought?

Seems like the advice on swimming pools and covid is reasonably positive. There's chlorine in the water, which is meant to deactivate the virus. That leaves changing rooms and receptions, which are the risk in all indoor fitness type activity I guess. In theory the swimming might actually be safer than individual training in the gym, unless they're very young kids literally on top of each other.

Changing rooms these days seem to be more empty for kids' swimming, I don't know whether most places have reduced class numbers or staggered them but at any rate, even on that score things seem less bananas than usual. Maybe there's less people attending too.

I'm personally glad we seem to be at the stage where we're going to let kids be kids and get on with most of their school and activities, and accept any inherent risk that might pose to the rest of us. There are a lot of adult activities that can be shut down and that sucks for everyone, but nothing worse than a generation of kids preventing from having very fundamental childhood experiences like going to a playground, learning to swim, going to school and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Doesn't the chlorine in the water kill virus's. So just the changing area to worry about? Plus children are less likely to carry I thought?

It was never that they were less likely to have it but the degree that it impacted them was lower and the conclusion from early studies was that there was lower transmission from younger children. Symptomatic children shed as much virus and can infect others to the same degree adults can but there isn't any evidence on how transmission from asymptomatic children.

Surely the data must show, by now, if they have had outbreaks associated with the gyms reopening?

They report on the outbreaks every week. The report up to the w/e last Saturday had no outbreaks identified as being from gyms but they could potentially be covered in 'Other'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Important to note that some cases could easily have been acquired in gyms or similar settings but this may never come to light e.g. Philip Nolan clarifies they don't go very far back in terms of contact tracing:

“Public health only ask me about my contacts for the 48 hours before I developed symptoms. They don’t need to know where I got the virus; that happened 5 days ago. They want to know where the virus is going, who I might have infected, and prevent onward transmission.
    “My contacts are tested, and unfortunately two of my family are infected. It’s now a household outbreak, and I am a case of community transmission. Even though I got it in a restaurant and brought it home.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-will-spiral-out-of-control-if-we-don-t-stop-people-mixing-in-dublin-s-bars-and-restaurants-says-nphet-expert-1.4358304

Important to note that some cases could easily have been acquired in gyms or similar settings but this may never come to light e.g. Philip Nolan clarifies they don't go very far back in terms of contact tracing:

“Public health only ask me about my contacts for the 48 hours before I developed symptoms. They don’t need to know where I got the virus; that happened 5 days ago. They want to know where the virus is going, who I might have infected, and prevent onward transmission.
    “My contacts are tested, and unfortunately two of my family are infected. It’s now a household outbreak, and I am a case of community transmission. Even though I got it in a restaurant and brought it home.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-will-spiral-out-of-control-if-we-don-t-stop-people-mixing-in-dublin-s-bars-and-restaurants-says-nphet-expert-1.4358304

Yeah, they had said the same about the numbers for 'travel related' cases, i.e. that they are most likely in there under community transmission.

And he also said:
    We know that in Dublin at least one in three cases are community transmission. Where is this happening? Wherever we mix socially: our houses, gyms, bars, restaurants. Sadly, unless we stop mixing in these settings, we know the disease will spiral out of control.

"We know that in Dublin at least one in three cases are community transmission. Where is this happening? Wherever we mix socially: our houses, gyms, bars, restaurants. Sadly, unless we stop mixing in these settings, we know the disease will spiral out of control"

A proportion (likely significant) of community transmission are just contacts that slipped the net, weren't provided, couldn't be contacted and passed it on to someone else etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Anyone hazard a guess at when Flyefit might extend their opening hours?

Flyefit is about to announce they are closing again possibly?

Gyms only allowed open for individual training under level 3. Or does this mean no classes? Thought it might be private PT

Flyefit is about to announce they are closing again possibly?

Gyms only allowed open for individual training under level 3. Or does this mean no classes? Thought it might be private PT

It means no classes. So booking 'Gym only' is yer only man

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Message via the booking the app for Gymplus

Swimming and individual training is ok but group activities are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was driving by flyfit on Macken St yesterday, its sad seeing people having to Q to go to a gym

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I was driving by flyfit on Macken St yesterday, its sad seeing people having to Q to go to a gym

They're just waiting to go in at the start of the session they have booked

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Really missing Citywest!! It will be next Jan/feb at this stage at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

silverharp wrote: »

This is only people arriving early for their slot. I'm usually 5-10 minutes late and I waltz right in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Papers are reporting tighter restrictions for Dublin by the weekend. If it’s a jump to level 4 the gyms close. Hope that’s not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I've noticed my gym is getting busier at 5am. When it reopened, there was maybe 2 or 3 other people there max. Now there's regularly 6 or 7. The same people usually, but they're definitely showing up earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

faceman wrote: »
    Papers are reporting tighter restrictions for Dublin by the weekend. If it’s a jump to level 4 the gyms close. Hope that’s not the case.
    I'm assuming by papers you mean the tabloid types. That's unlikely unless the numbers push up very fast and they tend to do things in 2-3 week cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'm assuming by papers you mean the tabloid types. That's unlikely unless the numbers push up very fast and they tend to do things in 2-3 week cycles.

Irish Times saying 'increased measures' may be required in Dublin and elsewhere by the weekend. Doesn't specifically say level 4 for Dubljn but you'd assume that is the next stage hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Irish Times saying 'increased measures' may be required in Dublin and elsewhere by the weekend. Doesn't specifically say level 4 for Dubljn but you'd assume that is the next stage hopefully not.

The media often flags the upcoming extras by giving a few days warning making these suggestions.

Same last week - on Tuesday the new levels were announced and Dublin was suddenly "2 and a bit" with rumours it would hit 3 soon, then Friday - 3.

There is a lot of leaking / flying of kites going on alright.

Both here and in the UK there was several days build up before the announcements about increased restrictions.

I would be genuinely surprised if we do not hit level 4 before the October mid term. The other possibility is that they wait and have us in level 4 for the October mid term, to try to prevent people shooting around the country while the kids are off school.

(Not going to comment on whether we should be going to level 4... That's another kettle of fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

My current gym is hopefully going to stay open... obviously reliant on the whole of Dublin doing the right things.... My training is starting to go well too so it would be a major disappointment to stop again.

I was around Ben Dunne in Cherrywood today and see a good bit of activity there. New signs and the logo vans in the carpark. This must be the activity that will get it into shape to open, similar to how Blanchardstown has opened.
    Hopefully in the next 6 weeks, would be great to see and it's super convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Just had the email from Ben Dunne that they open the Cherrywood gym 8th October, great news overall and luckily I have my replacement gym open and can still use that. Happy to see and they stated that a link to book the sessions will be sent in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Just had the email from Ben Dunne that they open the Cherrywood gym 8th October, great news overall and luckily I have my replacement gym open and can still use that. Happy to see and they stated that a link to book the sessions will be sent in the next few days

I just got the same email but then got an email following stating it will cost me 29 per month.....

I have my sign up email saying my membership would be 19 per month until I cancelled it - I never cancelled over the pandemic, can they just change my fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kg703 wrote: »
    I have my sign up email saying my membership would be 19 per month until I cancelled it - I never cancelled over the pandemic, can they just change my fee?
    Did you skip any payments over the pandemic?
    If not your a strong argument that your contract is still valid.
    If you stopped paying, they a strong argument that the contract is void. If you are signing a new contract, they can up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Did you skip any payments over the pandemic?
    If not your a strong argument that your contract is still valid.
    If you stopped paying, they a strong argument that the contract is void. If you are signing a new contract, they can up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I just got the same email but then got an email following stating it will cost me 29 per month.....

Any business can increase their prices and notice for this is normally included in the contract. In my experience, its normally one month notice and if you remain a a member, you have agreed to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Looks like we're back to home workouts if Nphet have their way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement