Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Double check if the new account can accept electronic lodgements to be sure and its IBAN & BIC also keep in mind if you can use new account it can take up to a week to set up electronic payment

I might give the bank a call and ask them just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

I applied for the PUP at the start of August after my place of work closed down. I got refused, called and was told to reapply and it should be fine. After again being refused and calling the helpline multiple times I was told a supervisor reviewed it and escalated, not understanding why I was refused.
    I still haven't received a payment and any calls have resulted in "I'll call you back". That call back never comes.
    I'm at a complete loss. It's been weeks of job hunting and chasing this up, as you can imagine I'm stressed out of my mind.
    Has anyone had their application escalated and any time frame on a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ChlC wrote: »
    Hi there,

I applied for the PUP at the start of August after my place of work closed down. I got refused, called and was told to reapply and it should be fine. After again being refused and calling the helpline multiple times I was told a supervisor reviewed it and escalated, not understanding why I was refused.
    I still haven't received a payment and any calls have resulted in "I'll call you back". That call back never comes.
    I'm at a complete loss. It's been weeks of job hunting and chasing this up, as you can imagine I'm stressed out of my mind.
    Has anyone had their application escalated and any time frame on a response?

Very odd this, are you an employee, Where you on the TWSS prior to been laid off and where you in the job in or before March?

I can't see why you were refused, I've only seen a few incidents were it transpired the people had just been laid off, were being paid TWSS via employer, employer forgot or neglected to remove them from the TWSS, resulting in decline as you can't be on both payments, one issue identified, reapplying sorted it out.

I can say there's reports of serious delays with appeals on payment reductions but not on declines.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Very odd this, are you an employee, Where you on the TWSS prior to been laid off and where you in the job in or before March?

I can't see why you were refused, I've only seen a few incidents were it transpired the people had just been laid off, were being paid TWSS via employer, employer forgot or neglected to remove them from the TWSS, resulting in decline as you can't be on both payments, one issue identified, reapplying sorted it out.

I can say there's reports of serious delays with appeals on payment reductions but not on declines.

I was on the wage subsidy but removed from that when my employment ceased in August. I was employed full-time since January.
    I spoke to welfare again today, once again told I'd get a call back.
    I just want to know where I stand, I've had no income since early August. They haven't given me a timeframe, told me if it'll be backpaid, or even if all this is a lost cause if it's not resolved by the 17th when it closes to applications.
    They can't even tell me why my application has been put on delay so long, I'm a legitimate person who lost their job from covid. Emergency payments my eye.

ChlC wrote: »
    I was on the wage subsidy but removed from that when my employment ceased in August. I was employed full-time since January.
    I spoke to welfare again today, once again told I'd get a call back.
    I just want to know where I stand, I've had no income since early August. They haven't given me a timeframe, told me if it'll be backpaid, or even if all this is a lost cause if it's not resolved by the 17th when it closes to applications.
    They can't even tell me why my application has been put on delay so long, I'm a legitimate person who lost their job from covid. Emergency payments my eye.

Sorry to hear this is still not resolved, very unusual case but I feel it will be resolved. On the TWSS, we're you paid monthly? I ask because of a case I'm aware of whereby the person was laid off 2nd week August, was removed from TWSS but as paid monthly, their final payment end of August reflected still being on TWSS until final payment, holidays owed etc were submitted via final payroll, they applied as is required on date of lay off but were declined because of TWSS issues, since resolved on second application. SW do not however seem to be raising this as the problem.

I can only advise at this stage to seek an emergency payment through CWO, community welfare officer, normally based out of Local Health centres. Appointment needed but with social distancing, they may do telephone consultation . I would advise SW or local Intreo center of your dilemma first. It won't affect your PUP claim. Emergency Payments arranged through local PO. I'm unsure if you require a PSC (Public service card howeve) normally that's an ID requirement, if you don't have one, advise Intero centre in advance and CWO

I would not worry about your PUP application re 17th September, Your application was submitted prior to this date.

Finally I would certainly be contacting a local political representative, TD etc, it can hurt and may help esculate your case.

Not sure if any of the above helps but definitely get in touch with your local CWO, they are generally very helpful and understanding and your case is exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Does anyone know if sign-on's have resumed for JSA payments? I haven't seen anything but I'm afraid they'll suddenly cancel my payment if I don't go down to the office.

Does anyone know if sign-on's have resumed for JSA payments? I haven't seen anything but I'm afraid they'll suddenly cancel my payment if I don't go down to the office.

You'll be notified of resumption of signing at intero centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you look at the bottom of the post office receipts that you get for the JSA on Tuesday. My next signing day on it has a date which is the 27th of October 2020. It might be the same for you or for anyone else who is receiving this payment. I suppose this would be the date that everyone who gets JSA or JSB will go back to sign-on at the Intreo office.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

My contract ends on 30th September with no prospect of being extended.

Am I eligible for the covid payment?

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    My contract ends on 30th September with no prospect of being extended.

Am I eligible for the covid payment?

Sorry to hear this, sadly the PUP ends for new claims on the 17th September, it's unlikely you'll be able to apply as this is done on final day of employment. Its likely you'll have to apply for JSA/JSB

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear this, sadly the PUP ends for new claims on the 17th September, it's unlikely you'll be able to apply as this is done on final day of employment. Its likely you'll have to apply for JSA/JSB

crazy. So in theory it would be worth my while finishing this week instead as working the final 2 weeks would see me get €203 for forseeable future instead of €300 per week.

Seems unfair, contract wont be renewed as times are uncertain by all accounts.

crazy. So in theory it would be worth my while finishing this week instead as working the final 2 weeks would see me get €203 for forseeable future instead of €300 per week.

Seems unfair, contract wont be renewed as times are uncertain by all accounts.

It is unfair and its clear Government not for turning, I fear a lot of people are going to the caught with PUP ending for new claims and the amount being paid is also reducing for everyone on it. Uncertain times it seems.

It is unfair and its clear Government not for turning, I fear a lot of people are going to the caught with PUP ending for new claims and the amount being paid is also reducing for everyone on it. Uncertain times it seems.

Why isnt it cut for everyone then?

Surely a new claim would be allowed but at max rate of €300?

If covid isnt a factor (as seems to be the reasoning) for anyone being let go post 17th September, then those still in receipt of PUP payment should on that date should be reduced to JSA/JSB rates also no?

If my employer cant keep me on because of the way things are then why should I be penalised because I missed deadline by 2 weeks?

Had same issue pre Covid, let go 2 weeks before the payment inception date in March, was on JSA whilst everyone else was on €350.

Why isnt it cut for everyone then?

Surely a new claim would be allowed but at max rate of €300?

If covid isnt a factor (as seems to be the reasoning) for anyone being let go post 17th September, then those still in receipt of PUP payment should on that date should be reduced to JSA/JSB rates also no?

If my employer cant keep me on because of the way things are then why should I be penalised because I missed deadline by 2 weeks?

Had same issue pre Covid, let go 2 weeks before the payment inception date in March, was on JSA whilst everyone else was on €350.

The rules unfortunately are quite rigid, everyone is actually having payment cut, €350 down to €300, for those who earned more than €300 pw, €250 for those who earned less than €300 and the lowest rate €210, basically 3 rates from 17th September.

I appreciate the issue about being penalised but claim only applicable from date of cessation of employment and if that's after the 17th September, thats it.

It's government bizzare assumption that suddenly on the 17th September, no one will loose their jobs because of the pandemic crisis.I suspect they'll be proven to be very very wrong.

And NO new claims after 17th September

Breaking news for anyone concerned about no new PUP claims from the 17th September, Government just announced they have decided to allow new entrants up till the end of the year :) this will I'm sure come as a relief to some anticipating job loss in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

Double check if the new account can accept electronic lodgements to be sure and its IBAN & BIC also keep in mind if you can use new account it can take up to a week to set up electronic payment

Update on this - if anyone else is wondering.

I called PTSB and the Demand Deposit account they offer can be used for SW payments.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are post offices still holding JSA payments for 90 days? Or did it go back to normal when they stopped paying fortnightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Habata

Just a quick question that I haven't been able to answer elsewhere

I was on JSB, it ran out, I applied for JSA. Two weeks later I had a job lined up which fell through. There was no sign of JSA coming through. I applied for PUP. I was given it for a few weeks, then received a phone call that I had been given it in error. I wasn't told what would happen, just to apply for JSA again. The JSA still hasn't come through, so for several week I've had nothing.

2 Qs

What is the expected wait time for JSA?
    And, will I have to pay back the PUP?

Habata wrote: »
    Just a quick question that I haven't been able to answer elsewhere

I was on JSB, it ran out, I applied for JSA. Two weeks later I had a job lined up which fell through. There was no sign of JSA coming through. I applied for PUP. I was given it for a few weeks, then received a phone call that I had been given it in error. I wasn't told what would happen, just to apply for JSA again. The JSA still hasn't come through, so for several week I've had nothing.

2 Qs

What is the expected wait time for JSA?
    And, will I have to pay back the PUP?

JSA, worse case scenario, up to 4 weeks but normally quicker.

If you were paid PUP in error, there is a mechanism to repay it, links on the DEASP website. However, I would assume you were entitled to something during that period, so it's going to be a case of SW advising you on the balance owed.

You don't say if you applied for JSA online, but I'd be contacting them or your local intero centre urgently, based on what you've said, I fear your caught up in a processing error. If you require urgent payment, contact Community welfare officer, normally based out of health centres, they may be able to approve temporary payments until JSA application is sorted, I'd also advise Intero office your doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Habata

Thanks. Yep I applied for the JSA online. I'll contact my centre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are post offices still holding JSA payments for 90 days? Or did it go back to normal when they stopped paying fortnightly?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Does anyone know if it is possible to check online if my claim closed properly? I closed it last week but I just logged on and the option is still there to close it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check online if my claim closed properly? I closed it last week but I just logged on and the option is still there to close it.

Unfortunately it seems to take some time for the portal to update, if you closed it last week, you should see an update on payment history on Friday if you've access to that (unsure if this feature available if you don't have full govid account), if your concerned, perhaps call the dedicated number on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Unfortunately it seems to take some time for the portal to update, if you closed it last week, you should see an update on payment history on Friday if you've access to that (unsure if this feature available if you don't have full govid account), if your concerned, perhaps call the dedicated number on the site.

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm hoping it hasn't closed as I started a job completely unrelated to my trained field but now my home circumstances have changed and working these hours simply isn't possible.

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm hoping it hasn't closed as I started a job completely unrelated to my trained field but now my home circumstances have changed and working these hours simply isn't possible.

O, that could be a problem if it has been closed, reopening in this scenario will be difficult if not impossible I'm sorry to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

I went back to work on a part time basis after being on PUP. I applied for casual dockets online 4 weeks ago but it is still awaiting review according to the website. Is this a normal waiting time? No one is picking up the phone at Finglas Intreo.

I went back to work on a part time basis after being on PUP. I applied for casual dockets online 4 weeks ago but it is still awaiting review according to the website. Is this a normal waiting time? No one is picking up the phone at Finglas Intreo.

In a normal situation it can take a few weeks but times are not normal, I'd advise dropping into your local intero centre to seek an update, keep in mind, opening times fluctuate at the moment. If approved payments should be back dated to date you submitted application

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

I lost my job earlier this year due to the Covid virus, but started working full-time again in an old job in August. Unfortunately, that now looks like it will also end this week due to the restrictions in Donegal. There may be a possibility of part-time hours, but that is up in the air at the moment.

Can I get the Covid 19 payment again and what payment category would I fall into? If I worked P/T hours for a few weeks, would that mean I would only get the lower rate if I had to re-apply for the Covid payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Email them at finglas@welfare.ie. It's much better to email offices as lots of staff are working from home. Include your PPS Number and telephone number in the email.

Advertisement