Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Gilligan hard to listen to. Harsh accent and lots of "ammm"s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Gilligan hard to listen to. Harsh accent and lots of "ammm"s

and like, ye know, like, I suppose, like. Had to turn the radio off.

I dont like this re-shuffle. I have stopped listening to Newstalk Breakfast as I don't like Ciara Kelly. I honestly cannot understand why Ciara left a vocation like medicine and being a GP, after all her years study and training, to work on the graveyard shift in a radio station?

I thought Andrea would be good at Lunchtime slot but I'm not too sure, I'll give her more than 2 days though. She has had difficult topics on that have been controversial already, like "assisted death/end of life" with Vicky Phelan today. Not the easiest to topics to talk about, and a very thin line to walk as a presenter. Its definitely one you have to listen to both sides of the story with...............so I kind of get the "ammms".

Really missing Ivan Yates on the Hard Shoulder......he was sharp, sarcastic, a great **** stirrer and funny! Kieran Cuddihy is so bland.
    Switched over yesterday to RTE at 4pm and switched this morning to FM104 - it was actually more uplifting and funny than anything on Newstalk!

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

I dont like this re-shuffle. I have stopped listening to Newstalk Breakfast as I don't like Ciara Kelly. I honestly cannot understand why Ciara left a vocation like medicine and being a GP, after all her years study and training, to work on the graveyard shift in a radio station?

I thought Andrea would be good at Lunchtime slot but I'm not too sure, I'll give her more than 2 days though. She has had difficult topics on that have been controversial already, like "assisted death/end of life" with Vicky Phelan today. Not the easiest to topics to talk about, and a very thin line to walk as a presenter. Its definitely one you have to listen to both sides of the story with...............so I kind of get the "ammms".

Really missing Ivan Yates on the Hard Shoulder......he was sharp, sarcastic, a great **** stirrer and funny! Kieran Cuddihy is so bland.
    Switched over yesterday to RTE at 4pm and switched this morning to FM104 - it was actually more uplifting and funny than anything on Newstalk!

There's really nothing in the schedule that stands out anymore. All very vanilla and uninteresting aside from PK.

They don't have any big names anymore apart from Pat.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Breakfast radio is far from the ‘graveyard shift’. Ask any aspiring presenter what shift they would like to do the most and more than not would pick breakfast.

Haven’t had a chance to listen to the show and I don’t particularly like Ciara Kelly anyway. I do like Kieran on his own though. It sounds so less contrived than when he was part of a double-act. He’s not Ivan but anybody listening that wants an Ivan was always going to be disappointed.

• Advertisement

There's really nothing in the schedule that stands out anymore. All very vanilla and uninteresting aside from PK.

I agree with both of you. CK was only worth listening to during Ronan Collins, or when the BBC was airing some experimental radio theatre. I don't know why anyone would tune into *relatively* serious (non "banter") breakfast radio, instead of Morning Ireland or its equivalent. If you want the news, check out another station.

I find myself not listening to Newstalk at all now, except listening to PK podcasts in the evening.

Feels like the station's best years are behind it.

There was a time when you could leave the dial on Newstalk from 7am until 10pm for some really competitive content.

I agree with both of you. CK was only worth listening to during Ronan Collins, or when the BBC was airing some experimental radio theatre. I don't know why anyone would tune into *relatively* serious (non "banter") breakfast radio, instead of Morning Ireland or its equivalent. If you want the news, check out another station.

I find myself not listening to Newstalk at all now, except listening to PK podcasts in the evening.

There was a time when you could leave the dial on Newstalk from 7am until 10pm for some really competitive content.

Agree, Pat Kenny is super and the biggest (and only ) star of Newstalk. But before his show and after I now switch to RTÉ or podcasts ........likewise I’m now going to Drivetime not The Hard Shoulder .

I used to leave Newstalk on all day long , not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Don’t know who this teacher is on Lunchtime Live now, but she sounds brilliant! Really articulate and pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Dear lord this is desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's not that they're vanilla, in my opinion. They're just not trolls like Hook or Yates. (Yates to a lesser degree)
    The station is built on reading out ridiculous or outraged text messages to get more outraged people phoning in. Kenny is the only person left who can actually carry out proper analysis and debate the points with them.
    You'd be as well off having Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy doing the breakfast slot on Newstalk for all the lack of proper analysis it does.
    Danny Healy Rae and Paul Murphy seem to be on speed dial.
    Then listeners text it "why are those eejits on again"
    Producer "oooh, we got a good reaction there, let's get them on again next week"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

CK must have a great agent.

We all know its LC day today and of course the Irish media is in full flow today, big news day and all, especially with calculated grades etc.

I just went to read the Indo website and she is bang on the first thing you see, big picture of her standing at her front door telling us about her LC experience.

On a day like today, you'd think that we'd have some Irish students on the story but no, it's a woman who sat the LC a long time ago and who we need to hear a on old story about.

NIMAN wrote: »
    CK must have a great agent.

We all know its LC day today and of course the Irish media is in full flow today, big news day and all, especially with calculated grades etc.

I just went to read the Indo website and she is bang on the first thing you see, big picture of her standing at her front door telling us about her LC experience.

On a day like today, you'd think that we'd have some Irish students on the story but no, it's a woman who sat the LC a long time ago and who we need to hear a on old story about.

like we care:confused:......she is one big pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

like we care:confused:......she is one big pain in the arse.

Know it all soccer mom. The breakfast show is dead to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

There are 3 things certain in life..

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. Ciara Kelly will always find a way to talk about herself....no matter the subject

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

What was the point of that call with the woman whose husband is flying in from the UK tonight? She kept going "We have 3 bedrooms but only one kitchen".

On top of that, she works from home. Whats the issue? Just stay at home together for 14 days. :confused:

"I'm a non-drinker".

Gee, I'd never have guessed it calling for the off licenses to be closed. :rolleyes:

Where is this news that house parties are the cause coming from? Has anyone on this forum been to a house party since this started?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Agreed, this listeners dial in peice between 8 and 9 (or is half 8, I've stopped listening) is pure muck. Joe Duffy show without the madcap entertainment, real lowest common denominator, let the listeners do it for us.
    This was always going to happen, media has broadly gone to **** in the rest of the world due to social media, clickbaiting etc.we were a bit of an outlier and are now falling down to the bottom of the pond like everywhere else. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

this GAA referee guy is insufferable with his WOKE agenda pushing

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nice of Newstalk to have a comedian on now to cheer up the nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Why is there never any challenge as to why the parents dont keep the kids in schools. And why they have such large families of kids who get no education and then wonder why they cant get jobs. Having these softly softly, walking on egg discussions on the topic doesn't serve anybody. It just condemns another generation of Travellers to the same fate because nobody addresses the core issue.

• Advertisement

Why is there never any challenge as to why the parents dont keep the kids in schools. And why they have such large families of kids who get no education and then wonder why they cant get jobs. Having these softly softly, walking on egg discussions on the topic doesn't serve anybody. It just condemns another generation of Travellers to the same fate because nobody addresses the core issue.

Not to mention forced marriages on top of all the usual such as seriously, how do they afford all the new cars?

How is it near every Irish person has had multiple bad experiences with them?

I have a friend who bought a house a few years back. Council got hold of a few houses in the small estate. Put travellers into two of them. They have wrecked the place, vandalised cars, broke into the unfinished houses.

They can't sell eithier as its obvious who lives next door. Imagine that - you work and save and they get it all for free, and instead of being grateful piss all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭tastyt

Having a discussion about travellers in our media is a waste of time .

Always one sided and always just lie after lie .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Woman just now wants to make masks mandatory at school gates so she feels better :rolleyes: Maybe she should just stay home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Probably my first time to listen to this show in its (almost) entirety. It's like a poor combination of Claire Byrne and Liveline...an absolute yawnfest.

I'm pulling my hair our listening to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

She's back on the masks at schools discussion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Thread title needs an update surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I want to like Andrea Gilligan, but I just can't.

Shes a dose, shes not particularly articulate, shes not particularly intellectual (ala PK) or witty (like Sean Moncrief). What does she bring to the table beyond being female and presumably much cheaper than either of the above.

The other day during a discussion about men in maternity wards during covid, a man came on stating that his wife had just had her 12 week scan a week previously, which obviously he couldn't attend.

She then asked, super awkwardly "if its not too personal, and you don't mind sharing.... whens the baby due?".

Do keep up Andrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

SozBbz wrote: »
    I want to like Andrea Gilligan, but I just can't.

Shes a dose, shes not particularly articulate, shes not particularly intellectual (ala PK) or witty (like Sean Moncrief). What does she bring to the table beyond being female and presumably much cheaper than either of the above.

The other day during a discussion about men in maternity wards during covid, a man came on stating that his wife had just had her 12 week scan a week previously, which obviously he couldn't attend.

She then asked, super awkwardly "if its not too personal, and you don't mind sharing.... whens the baby due?".

Do keep up Andrea.

Same here.

I used to hear her occasionally on the early morning news show, and it was just the same - I can't put my finger on exactly why it annoys me so much, but it's the whole "Today we're discussing X - we want to know what you think of it, do you think A? or maybe B? We want to hear from you" etc etc. Not even the tiniest pretence of an analysis by her.

On the face of it, that's no different to how Joe Duffy operates (that's not a compliment), or how PK/SO'R etc operate, so I don't know why it grates so much when she does it..... but grate it does, can't listen at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Thread title needs an update surely
    Better still, why isn't there a brand new thread? They close the threads for RTE shows when the presenter moves on.

Advertisement