Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Tennis seems to be going down the "woke" road alot lately.
    Murray now calling for the Margaret Court Arena to be renamed .
    https://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/12073772/andy-murray-thinks-margaret-courts-name-should-be-removed-from-australian-open

"Every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped.”

Not wanting tennis stadiums named after virulent homophobes is hardly "woke". If Court had been as racist as she is homophobic then the name would've been changed a long time ago. It'll happen eventually though, mind. And I think trying to make links to 1984 is... tenuous at best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

This Musetti kid is scary good........

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted to see Schwartzman in his first Masters final, and with a win over Nadal to boot too, hope he can take the title now. Bit of strange loss by Nadal, especially with their prior h2h, perhaps feeling the lack of match play at the moment. I still think he's winning RG though.

Halep seems to have come out the blocks firing, will probably win her second title since the tour resumption against Pliskova tomorrow. Encouraging to see both Muguruza and Azarenka playing well this week too, the latter in particular after just losing a grand slam final. Halep, Muguruza and Azarenka are the form players heading into RG... probably meaning none of them will win it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Delighted to see Schwartzman in his first Masters final, and with a win over Nadal to boot too, hope he can take the title now. Bit of strange loss by Nadal, especially with their prior h2h, perhaps feeling the lack of match play at the moment. I still think he's winning RG though.

Halep seems to have come out the blocks firing, will probably win her second title since the tour resumption against Pliskova tomorrow. Encouraging to see both Muguruza and Azarenka playing well this week too, the latter in particular after just losing a grand slam final. Halep, Muguruza and Azarenka are the form players heading into RG... probably meaning none of them will win it.

Nobody beats Diego Schwartzman 10 times in a row. :pac:

Surprising as that result is, Nadal will (hopefully) be a different animal altogether at the FO. Lack of matchplay definitely was a factor, but some may begin to fancy their chances against him in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

With Djokovic's Italian Open win, can Nadal or Thiem still overtake him to year end No. 1 and what would they have to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

josip wrote: »
    With Djokovic's Italian Open win, can Nadal or Thiem still overtake him to year end No. 1 and what would they have to do?

After the FO there is a limited enough calendar left. Djokovic has alreadygained a few points this week by bettering last years result.
    Thiem can add points at the FO by willing it, Djpkovic can add points by making the final, Nadal can't add (or loose) any points.

What Djokovic has to do after that will depend on if Thiem or Nadal opt to play a 500 that they didn't play last year such as Vienna. Djokovic could then opt to play that too, of course.
    Presuming that the WFT goes ahead, Djokovic had a bad one last year so could add enough points in that alone to ensure he keeps the No 1 to year end.

From what I read elsewhere, if Djokovic gets to the FO final, or wins 3 matches at the WTF, he can't be caught no matter what anyone else does.

its nearly as complicated as no more than 6 people from no more than 2 households....

lostcat wrote: »
    From what I read elsewhere, if Djokovic gets to the FO final, or wins 3 matches at the WTF, he can't be caught no matter what anyone else does.

A FO Final doesn't seem impossible given that Nadal and Thiem will be on the other side of the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

josip wrote: »
    A FO Final doesn't seem impossible given that Nadal and Thiem will be on the other side of the draw
    Nadal will be on the other side, we don't know where Thiem will end up. Draw on Thursday will decide that. And dare I say it, that could also determine who ends up winning the French. Whoever has to play Thiem in semis will be too gassed for final (if wins) or goes out in semis

Nadal will be on the other side, we don't know where Thiem will end up. Draw on Thursday will decide that. And dare I say it, that could also determine who ends up winning the French. Whoever has to play Thiem in semis will be too gassed for final (if wins) or goes out in semis

I thought the FO uses world ranking to determine seeding?

These will be Nadals least favourite conditions ever at the FO, cold, dampish and slow.
    I didn't see his match against Schwartzman but I saw the first set of Djokovic against him, it looked really hard to hit a winner and there were very few handy service games.
    I'd give Thiem or Djokovic every chance against him. I can see all of them getting dragged into a couple of long matches along the way, but I dont see winning this as a gimme for Nadal at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I watched some of Nadal - Schwartzman and it looked like there was not much point in having a first serve. Every first serve in was returned like they were already mid rally.

More records for Djokovic in terms of Total Masters Titles and Total Big Titles

Fed looking short on the masters titles stat

VZkDYIj.png

Djokovic won't be long overtaking for weeks at #1 either, should be early next year some time?

Djokovic won't be long overtaking for weeks at #1 either, should be early next year some time?

March, as long as he can retain AO

Even with his wig-job bedded in now Nadal has really aged the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

glasso wrote: »
    More records for Djokovic in terms of Total Masters Titles and Total Big Titles

Fed looking short on the masters titles stat

VZkDYIj.png

Djokovic and Federer look really arrogant in above photos compared to Nadal.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Djokovic and Federer look really arrogant in above photos compared to Nadal.

Well they are all complete ballers!

I would say it's more that Nadal looks sheepish in his photo in contrast even if the other two are "portraying confidence".

In other news, Zverev's ex girlfriend announced today she's 20 weeks pregnant with his child and she has no intention of splitting custody. Another ex, meanwhile, has accused him of domestic violence. Quite the day for him.

He's just after winning consecutive titles in Cologne so some are speculating he didn't even know himself.

Thiem (defending champion)and Djokovic both dumped out of Vienna in straights. it was a very strong starting field (for a 500), but most of the big guns are gone by the 1/4 finals.

• Advertisement

Nadal beaten by Zverev in the semis of the Paris indoors, as good a chance as Nadal will ever have of winning this masters I'd say...

Hardcourt tournaments are going to get increasingly harder to win for the older chaps..

This means (if there was any lingering doubt) that Djokovic will end 2020 at No 1, thus tying Sampras for 6 year end No 1's and edging past Nadal and Federer who are at 5 each.

Sampras finished number one 6 years in a row, hard to imaging such dominance again any time soon..

The Groups for next weeks ATP tour finals in London (last year in London, btw) are out:

Group 1:
    Djokovic, Zverev, Medvedev, Schwartzman

Group 2:
    Nadal, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Rublev

All in good form so should be a decent end to the year.

Djokovic hasn't won this in a few years, Nadal has never won it, Tsitsipas is the defending champion.

Would love Schwartzman to win it all, so expect him to go 0-3 in the group stage. Had totally forgot about Tsitsipas winning last year.

This means (if there was any lingering doubt) that Djokovic will end 2020 at No 1, thus tying Sampras for 6 year end No 1's and edging past Nadal and Federer who are at 5 each.

Sampras finished number one 6 years in a row, hard to imaging such dominance again any time soon..

Djokovic on track to take the record for most weeks at number 1 from Federer

295 vs 310 currently

I'd say Djokovic will be more motivated this year at the finals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi gang,

Other than Amazon prime and europort (through Sky), is there any tennis subscription worth picking up for the next year or so? Looking at an Xmas present for a tennis fan but the majority of games may be covered by the two already listed, I'm not sure! Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Hi gang,

Other than Amazon prime and europort (through Sky), is there any tennis subscription worth picking up for the next year or so? Looking at an Xmas present for a tennis fan but the majority of games may be covered by the two already listed, I'm not sure! Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

yes those two cover it off pretty much for being based in Ireland

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

tennis tv covers most ATP events. Also has a huge backlog of matches back to the 90s. Sign up in STG, much better value than €

Would love Schwartzman to win it all.....

A doughty competitor to be sure, but is he anything other than the new Ferrer?

I can see him hanging around in the top 10 for few years and having a solid career, but he doesn't have enough weapons compared to most of the other guys to win many tournaments...

A doughty competitor to be sure, but is he anything other than the new Ferrer?

I can see him hanging around in the top 10 for few years and having a solid career, but he doesn't have enough weapons compared to most of the other guys to win many tournaments...

I'd never have put the two in the same sentence tbh. Surely he's got much bigger weapons than Ferrer had, no?

• Advertisement

Schwartzman would be doing well to finish up with Ferrer's career and cash at the end.

7th all-time in earnings

27 ATP Titles

Schwartzman has 3 titles currently at age 28

Advertisement