Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cutting pressure treated wood

• 18-09-2020 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Can you cut a pressure treated gate post at the bottom or does that comprise it? I have a post that is 175x175mm and 2.4m long. I’m replacing old posts and the hole is 67cm deep at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Your right cutting the post does compromise the pressure treatment because it doesn't fully penetrate the wood.

BUT???? If you can cut the bottom I can't see why you can't instead cut the top and have the cut surface not in the ground. If its a pointed post cut the point off and put it in upside down. Flood the cut area with something that works like protim 265.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You can put soak the cut end in protim or similar, not just the eco friendly stuff
    Would you consider setting a piece of box section the the holes nd keep the timber above ground level

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can put soak the cut end in protim or similar, not just the eco friendly stuff
    Would you consider setting a piece of box section the the holes nd keep the timber above ground level

I avoided saying soak the bottom end in Protim as it explicitly says on the tin not to use it in contact with the soil. It isn't exactly environmentally friendly stuff. Thats not to say it wouldn't work or that I don't use it in contact with the ground :o

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement