Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do I reply to a post?

• 12-09-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi, sorry to have to ask this, and not even sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, but can anyone solve a mystery for me please? I see replies posted up, where people have the comment they are replying to in a box, then their own comments underneath the box. Could anyone let me know how to do that please? When I click "reply" to a comment, the comment appears and if I write my reply underneath, when I post it my reply and the original comment all appear in the same box.....hope I'm making sense here not sure if I'm explaining it very well. I'm using a mobile to access this site, not sure if that's making any difference. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

carr62 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to have to ask this, and not even sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, but can anyone solve a mystery for me please? I see replies posted up, where people have the comment they are replying to in a box, then their own comments underneath the box. Could anyone let me know how to do that please? When I click "reply" to a comment, the comment appears and if I write my reply underneath, when I post it my reply and the original comment all appear in the same box.....hope I'm making sense here not sure if I'm explaining it very well. I'm using a mobile to access this site, not sure if that's making any difference. Thanks for reading.

What you're referring to is quoting.

The desktop version has a simple quote button that does it in one single press, but the touch version of the site doesn't have it, only a plain reply button.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi carr62,

Just to follow up on this, looking at one of your old posts, the closing [/quote] tag was omitted.

When you click reply (on a post on touch) or the quote button on desktop, it will put [noparse]
    before the post that you are replying to and
    [/noparse] after. If the [/quote] tag is missing, the quoted message and the reply will also appear to be written as one message without the quote box.

Similarly, if you type anything within these quote tags, it will appear as part of the quoted message with nothing to indicate that it wasn't part of the original post (unless the user outlines as much).

Advertisement