Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outdoor camera for parents

• 16-08-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭

My parents have had issues with antisocial behaviour in their area and would like to get a camera to keep an eye on what's going on in their front garden (small 3 bed terrace). It would need to be good at night and have some sort of DVR setup and be wireless preferably. I see there is the likes of the nest doorbells etc but I'd prefer get something that doesn't require a monthly sub to view recordings etc.

What would people's recommendations be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Security-Surveillance-Waterproof-Detection/dp/B0794TN8J5/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2VIA3ZCBA3LHN&dchild=1&keywords=yi+outdoor+camera+1080p&qid=1597737966&sprefix=yi+ou%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWSDdMNFdJRFVOOUwmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NjcyMjkxRFJONUo5SDJQTldZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0OTg5MDkzQ1pDMzZPNTI1RDVRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The Yi camera usually comes highly recommended. You can record to a micro-SD card (it supports up to a 64GB).

Personally I use a Nest outdoor camera but that requires a sub and it can be hit and miss. I've been having awful trouble with dropouts. As the Yi records to a micro-SD card you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanti

Yep I'd second the nest camera. Installed outdoor one for my dad. (really easy to install - especially the IQ camera as the non IQ has a massive 'connector' on the cable so it's a bit awkward - depending how neat you want it) Attached to my home account so 1 sub (€100 for 60 days history but you can pay 50 either for motion only events) covers his and my cameras. FYI...I was having awful problems with dropouts too (almost daily). Moved router closer to camera and have had 1 dropout in about 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'm considering this from eufy

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I have two Yi Outdoor cameras and I think they are great.

They are supplemented with indoor Neos Smartcams which I actually prefer. I have one in the porch pointed at the driveway and it gives me great coverage day or night. I pay for the subscription for these cameras (about €3 per month) because I like them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

We have Foscams and our experience with using SD cards is that they don't last very long. Few months then you have to open up the camera and if that is on 1st floor its risky up a ladder as you need both hands off ladder to complete the sd exchange. Being into IT I setup an ftp server on a Linux box I have for file sharing and backups locally, but for your situation I would recommend you get a full DVR system with POE (Power Over Ethernet )and cameras that can avail of POE so the cameras do not require a traditional power supply which is ok but POE is better / tidier.

Also having a camera front, rear, and at the main front door of home is a good place to start. Wifi CCTV is a bit unreliable.

This is what I'm saying here as a search on Amazon. POE CCTV DVR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Are you using "endurance" SDXC cards? They are designed for constant read/write unlike standard cards. I found the same previously but since moving to endurance cards, I'm getting years rather than months out of them. Foscam cameras are particularly hard on them because they are so poor at smart detection. Almost everything is triggered as a motion event, especially insects, animals and blowing leaves so ends up being written to the card. I've phased my entire Foscam line up out for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

After a recent number of break ins around my parents I installed a few cheap Tuya Smart Cameras.

Very impressed for the price, and have a decent pan with tracking aswell.

Recording onto an sd card and able to live stream via the Tuya App.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We have Foscams and our experience with using SD cards is that they don't last very long. Few months then you have to open up the camera and if that is on 1st floor its risky up a ladder as you need both hands off ladder to complete the sd exchange. Being into IT I setup an ftp server on a Linux box I have for file sharing and backups locally, but for your situation I would recommend you get a full DVR system with POE (Power Over Ethernet )and cameras that can avail of POE so the cameras do not require a traditional power supply which is ok but POE is better / tidier.

Also having a camera front, rear, and at the main front door of home is a good place to start. Wifi CCTV is a bit unreliable.

This is what I'm saying here as a search on Amazon. POE CCTV DVR

Being into IT you should use good SD card. I have had the yi fir several years and haven’t had an issue with SD cards

ted1 wrote: »
    Being into IT you should use good SD card. I have had the yi fir several years and haven’t had an issue with SD cards

I do use sd cards also but not as the main source of recording I prefer to record onto a Servers hardrive which is easier to manage, more secure and easier to share with others.

Are you using "endurance" SDXC cards? They are designed for constant read/write unlike standard cards. I found the same previously but since moving to endurance cards, I'm getting years rather than months out of them. Foscam cameras are particularly hard on them because they are so poor at smart detection. Almost everything is triggered as a motion event, especially insects, animals and blowing leaves so ends up being written to the card. I've phased my entire Foscam line up out for that reason.

I agree the better the quality sd cards for longer life I still don't like using SD cards for main live recording and prefer Hardrive recordings for ease of management. The older Foscams didn't have that smart ability but I think all newer models do have the smart tech. I think it's the old you get what you pay for. I'm on the fence as to whether id recommend the Foscam brand but just put it out there what issues I had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ring bell is brilliant and at €30 for the year it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irelandone

@Dopetech.

I would avoid wireless and go for a simple wired setup. There is mutiple resoans for this but the most important is that it is easier to operate once installed. Dont over complicate what should be a simple setup for your parents.

It is very easy to hide a wire behind a gutter or alongside an existing tv wire running down the house. Once painted will be nearly invisible..If there is a similar house in the area with cameras have a look how they have run the wires for ideas how to install.

(One suggestion is running the wires down the outside side wall and through an existing vent into the kitchen and having the DVR unit on top of a kitchen unit and screen on the counter where there is power.

I would have a look @ some of the simple setups on ebay/ amazon auch as ANNKE/Zosi/Hi Look. (Circa €150)

Blink wireless and actually can be wired don't have a sub and are on offer, they send a clip to your app and you select how long etc. No extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I have 14 Yi outdoor cameras, 4 Kami Outdoor (same as yi but with better night vision) and 1 kami wireless battery camera.

I think their very good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have 14 Yi outdoor cameras, 4 Kami Outdoor (same as yi but with better night vision) and 1 kami wireless battery camera.

I think their very good.

****ing hell man are you covering all of Detroit, all of Killaloe or all of Munster??? 14 outdoor cameras, I'd say most county GAA grounds don't have that many outdoor cameras :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Seriously though, I looked up the Yi range and they look class in fairness, I was a bit worried about security on them so got an indoor one and did a packet tracer on all the traffic for about a year and didn't see anything dodgy at all. If I needed a lot of cameras I would give serious consideration to them BUT for parents I always find it's best to keep them to what they know and all in 1 place so I'd find it hard to go away from the Nest range to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Clareman wrote: »
    ****ing hell man are you covering all of Detroit, all of Killaloe or all of Munster??? 14 outdoor cameras, I'd say most county GAA grounds don't have that many outdoor cameras :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Seriously though, I looked up the Yi range and they look class in fairness, I was a bit worried about security on them so got an indoor one and did a packet tracer on all the traffic for about a year and didn't see anything dodgy at all. If I needed a lot of cameras I would give serious consideration to them BUT for parents I always find it's best to keep them to what they know and all in 1 place so I'd find it hard to go away from the Nest range to be honest.

I thought I read his post wrong on first take.

Just to add, I changed my mesh system last week and haven't had a single drop out on any of the Nest cameras that are running 24/7 here. I'm absolutely delighted with how Google's Wi-Fi has been performing.

Clareman wrote: »

..yea..so now its 16 since I posted last.

To be honest, its 16 cameras on 2 different locations. 11 of which are a farm yard, covering entrance and machinery sheds and then some in sheds to check livestock that are due to give birth.

I get them fairly cheaply, I can get them for as little as 30 euro + delivery and import fees so if ever if goes down it's not a massive loss to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

..yea..so now its 16 since I posted last.

To be honest, its 16 cameras on 2 different locations. 11 of which are a farm yard, covering entrance and machinery sheds and then some in sheds to check livestock that are due to give birth.

I get them fairly cheaply, I can get them for as little as 30 euro + delivery and import fees so if ever if goes down it's not a massive loss to replace it.

where do you purchase from? we have 2 wireless outdoor kami ones cost €135, would like to buy some more

noah45 wrote: »
    where do you purchase from? we have 2 wireless outdoor kami ones cost €135, would like to buy some more

Kamistore.eu rarely, mostly Aliexpress directly from Yi store official on ali express who are the manufacturers

Cost me about 60 euro before import fees for the wireless ones.. you need to watch and wait for the offers about once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Kamistore.eu rarely, mostly Aliexpress directly from Yi store official who are the manufacturers

Cost me about 60 euro before import fees for the wireless ones..

The wireless ones are about €60 on Amazon at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089PX65XF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_EAXXKEZC6JMAFEE88GKB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

Páid wrote: »

Try the EU version of Amazon as UK extra taxes bringing in to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

I currently have 3 Eufy 2C wireless cameras covering my driveway, slide lane and back garden and also an Eufy Wireless Doorbell which is hardwired.

you can view live feed and also recordings from your phone or tablet as it has a 16gb storage in the hub.

Cameras have day and night mode and also zoning.

I dont understand why people would pay monthly subscriptions as Eufy has no monthly subscriptions and top quality.

Renault 5 wrote: »
    I currently have 3 Eufy 2C wireless cameras covering my driveway, slide lane and back garden and also an Eufy Wireless Doorbell which is hardwired.

you can view live feed and also recordings from your phone or tablet as it has a 16gb storage in the hub.

I dont understand why people would pay monthly subscriptions as Eufy has no monthly subscriptions and top quality.

Cloud storage is why I pay for it.

I have local storage. But if the decide to steal or damage the camera I will still have data saved in the cloud

Cloud storage is why I pay for it.

I have local storage. But if the decide to steal or damage the camera I will still have data saved in the cloud

But Eufy dont have the SD cards in the Camera

Its stored on the hub within the house.

Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Renault 5 wrote: »

How do you find battery life on the cameras? I'm in the market for similar (process of elimination!)

DeadSkin wrote: »
    How do you find battery life on the cameras? I'm in the market for similar (process of elimination!)

I usually charge mine every 3 to 4 months but it will always depend if you are using Live Feed or just recording.

Just recording will not much activity you would get 6 months I would think which they are advertised at.

Advertisement