Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way to keep white clothes white

• 09-09-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Feel silly asking, but I've looked online and it's just very confusing and contradictory.

Does anyone have a link to a fool proof way of keeping your white's white, or brightening up white's.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's very difficult, I find. Be religious about only washing actual whites together, put a colour catcher in every wash to catch grime, fake tan etc, add a scoop of oxi brightener every time and wash it on a higher temp (60 or more, depending on your fabrics) than you might wash other colours.

They all still go dingy before long in my experience, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you mean use a colour catcher for all washes, or just white washes?

Is 'Vanish' a type of oxi-whitener? Do you think its better to soak whites in warm water with a scoop of Vanish, or just put it into the washing machine.

I know that whites will eventually go bad, but mine are starting to go bad after just a few wears. Maybe the t-shirts I am buying are poor quality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Use a colour catcher in your all-white washes, they can catch grime and dirt from the water that would otherwise end up in your whites and make them dingy.

I also use them in mixed colour washes but wouldn't bother with one in a black wash, for example.

And yes, an oxi powder is the likes of Vanish but most supermarkets do their own versions. I don't soak the stuff first, just add a scoop to the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

Do you mean use a colour catcher for all washes, or just white washes?

Is 'Vanish' a type of oxi-whitener? Do you think its better to soak whites in warm water with a scoop of Vanish, or just put it into the washing machine.

I know that whites will eventually go bad, but mine are starting to go bad after just a few wears. Maybe the t-shirts I am buying are poor quality

There are also Dr. Beckmann sachets to keep whites white. It works a bit but it's not great. From my experience it's a lot easier to keep cotton clothes white than polyester. I have some cotton underpants with lace trim. I keep washing them in dark washes by mistake. The cotton bit is sort of white and the polyester bit is grey.

I'm 42 and I still hope that one day I will master how to wash white clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Follows thread. This is a life long mystery to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

If you understand the chemistry of it it's quite simple really. Use normal washing powder!

Normal, non-colour washing powders contain a mild bleaching agent i.e. it produces hydrogen peroxide in the water. This, along with the other ingredients keeps white clothes from going grey.

Liquid and liquid pod detergents do a good job, but they don't contain bleach. Instead, they rely exclusively on very good detergent components and optical brighteners, which are basically a fluorescent dye that absorbs UV light and returns it as visible white light. So, your laundry literally glows a bit. Similar to very white paper dyes or what you'd find in a highlighter pen. They're usually pretty good, especially the higher end formulations as they will have a lot of fancy chemistry to ensure stuff doesn't redeposit on clothes.

However, they can't combine peroxide into the liquid detergents as it reacts with the other ingredients.

You can also just add bleach - any of those bleach powders you get in the supermarket or something like Ace or Vanish liquids will do the job.

Miele (the washing machine manufacturer) actually goes to a real extreme on this. They have a system with two tanks at the bottom of the machine. One contains a colour detergent and the other contains peroxide bleach and optical brighteners. When you do a whites, colourfast or colour wash it will automatically combine the optimal blend of washing liquid and bleach to get the right results.

BTW, never use chlorine bleach like Milton or Domestos in a washing machine. It will literally destroy the bearing system that the drum is mounted on as it reacts badly with the metals used. Vanish, Ace etc are all fine.

You can't really go wrong with a scoop of Ariel or Persil (or possibly some of the Lidl and Aldi powders)

A lot of the stuff we're being sold these days is just marketing gimmicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Trace amounts of rust in your water, such as from hard water or old pipes, will turn your whites off colour. Whitening products won't work but a cheap water filter on the supply line to the washer will solve that.

Polyester is a petroleum product. It turns yellow as it deteriorates chemically over time and makes whites look grey. Nothing can be done about that except buy natural fibers for things you want to last.

Advertisement