Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sub 2.50 - and beyond!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Great going lads. I was planning on Dublin and I'd just got up around the 60 MPW where I like to be. Hoped to kick on but injury has struck. I had an ankle issue and it was kind of sitting dormant. Then a groin problem in the other leg. I asked the physio to look at them and he told me run away but shorter distances. A week of that and both problems are persisting so I'm on a week off now. Can still feel pain in both areas when resting. No problems walking around etc so I'm at a loss to explain this. I'd say Dublin could be out for me but I'm worried it might impact in the longer term. Any ideas?

Find a different physio. They should also be trying to find the cause and not just how to heal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

With spring marathon season upon us, said I'd give this thread a bump and see if there's many trying to get into the 2:40's. It'd also be great if a few former posters
    in this thread who still keep an eye on the A&R forums maybe did a 'Where are they now?' update :) It's great reading back through some of the old discussions/build ups/race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

When you say 2.40's, you mean high 2.40's..........right.............like 2.49'ish :)

I read back a few pages to my fantastic plan for DCM (posted June 2019).
    I didn't run DCM - but what I did learn is that you need to have a plan that you trust 100%.

I wanted to run with a plan taken from NAZ for Manchester coming up, but while I liked the plan, there was a nagging voice in my head asking why I'm moving away from what works.
    All my PB's and good races are on the back of Daniels type training.

For me, this is important as I want to be going into a race fully confident and not 2nd guessing the plan - come 20 miles when things get tough, I want to know that I'm able to push and not think..........'maybe if I had of done x or y'.

I've had pretty consistent training since Sept.
    an 8week 5k block that had some good tempos in it, leading to Jingle Bells.
    Back onto Daniels that led to 5m/10m PB's in Raheny/JT10 (..........did I ever mention that I went sub60??)

Feb has seen 3x70 mile weeks and a nice mixture of Daniels/NAZ/BAC (Steve Way Sessions) - the midweek sessions being 13-15 miles, weekends have had 3x20+ miles (1 vanilla 23.5 in there).

6 weeks to go to Manchester - certainly not feeling overcooked at this stage.
    7 big sessions and Bohermeen HM to go - then a 2 week/10 day taper.

Current levels of obsession: Critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I am targeting Boston Marathon in April. The race is 8 weeks and 3 hours away, approximately.....

My current PB is from Sevilla around this time 2 years ago, 2:47:17 in ideal conditions on a flat course. I returned to Seville 4 weeks ago to do a half marathon to test my fitness. I had a good day, coming home in the low 1:17:xx.

I am following the Hanson Marathon Method for Boston. This is my fourth time following the plan having had success with it before. I enjoy the structure of the plan and its simplicity. I have extended the plan to 20 weeks rather than 18 in order to give myself a mini taper for the Seville half and allow a down week after for recovery (and I needed it).

I have just completed the Speed segments of the plan and I am now moving on to the marathon specific Strength workouts and longer Tempo marathon pace efforts this week. The first of the famous three "16miler" long runs is scheduled for this weekend. I plan to do 27km, 28km and 29km for these long runs.

My last three marathons have been on flat courses (Valencia, Seville, Valencia). The course profile of Boston will be a challenge. I am trying to incorporate hills or rolling hills into aspects of my training. In this regard, Im trying to do at least one of my SOS sessions and one easy run on rolling/hilly terrain per week. I am also doing a few strides up and down a 2-3% gradient every so often to bash/strengthen the quads.

I haven't set myself a specific target as of yet. If I can keep the training solid and avoid going into the red, I believe I can PB. A sub 2:45 might be realistic.

After missing Boston last year through an injury I will be glad to make it to the start line healthy and ready to race this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

spc78 wrote: »
    Going for Amsterdam the week before Dublin.

Thats a good set of LR's you've already got under the belt! I've got 2 x 27, 2 x 28, 1 x 30 & 1 x 33 but I've 4 LR's left which should all be 30k+ so hopefully things will look better at the start of 2 week taper.

I've tried to address a few things that have gone wrong for me in the past:

Getting sick before race day - started loading up on the multi vitamins now
    Taper too much - only doing a 2 week taper and not taper so hard, just 10% off the normal load each week
    Not enough Endurance - more long runs, more MP miles in the LR's
    No 'down' week - try to avoid that one week in the plan where you end up with half the mileage you planned - avoided so far

I did manage to more or less to address above and went sub 2:50 in Amsterdam - 2:46 - a 6min PB but it did come after maybe not quite hitting the wall but certainly staggering into it a good few times over the last 10k....I ran 1:19 for the first half, 1:27 for the second half. I had plenty of long runs in training but I figure my issue was not lack of long runs, but ultimately I started a 12 week marathon training block not in race shape for my marathon goal - 6 or 7 weeks out from the marathon, my marathon pace 'efforts' during long runs were sometimes 30sec/mile off from my goal pace but I trusted that by the time my taper was over, marathon effort would equate to goal marathon pace....which it did but I suppose I just did not have enough 'hard' miles in the legs and also lacked any 10 mile or half marathon races.

Not doing a spring marathon this year and probably not doing an autumn one as I want to get some half marathon races into the legs before attempting the marathon again....I actually broke my half marathon PB in the first half of Amsterdam which is a sign I was really missing the appropriate races in training.

what worked well for me:

- ran Marathon Pace miles in training at marathon effort rather than target pace - this was via a combination of heart rate & stryd power meter to gauge effort.
    - 2 week taper only reducing load by 10% each week - felt properly primed on race day
    - late autumn marathons suit me - find it much easier to get the long runs in in Aug/Sep/Oct, its a nice time of the year to train.

what i was lacking:

- half marathon races during build up
    - didn't have weight under control prior to starting the final 12 weeks of training - lost 8 lbs during the last 10 weeks of training which was risky in terms of getting sick (luckily I didn't)
    - I meant to do some strength training but never did - I still mean to start simple 5-10min a day bodyweight at home - we'll see!

• Advertisement

I am targeting Boston Marathon in April. The race is 8 weeks and 3 hours away, approximately.....

My current PB is from Sevilla around this time 2 years ago, 2:47:17 in ideal conditions on a flat course. I returned to Seville 4 weeks ago to do a half marathon to test my fitness. I had a good day, coming home in the low 1:17:xx.

I am following the Hanson Marathon Method for Boston. This is my fourth time following the plan having had success with it before. I enjoy the structure of the plan and its simplicity. I have extended the plan to 20 weeks rather than 18 in order to give myself a mini taper for the Seville half and allow a down week after for recovery (and I needed it).

I have just completed the Speed segments of the plan and I am now moving on to the marathon specific Strength workouts and longer Tempo marathon pace efforts this week. The first of the famous three "16miler" long runs is scheduled for this weekend. I plan to do 27km, 28km and 29km for these long runs.

My last three marathons have been on flat courses (Valencia, Seville, Valencia). The course profile of Boston will be a challenge. I am trying to incorporate hills or rolling hills into aspects of my training. In this regard, Im trying to do at least one of my SOS sessions and one easy run on rolling/hilly terrain per week. I am also doing a few strides up and down a 2-3% gradient every so often to bash/strengthen the quads.

I haven't set myself a specific target as of yet. If I can keep the training solid and avoid going into the red, I believe I can PB. A sub 2:45 might be realistic.

After missing Boston last year through an injury I will be glad to make it to the start line healthy and ready to race this year.

I trust you have seen this on the BAA website?
    https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/enter/training/levelfour

If you are incorporating some hills into your training, theres some structure here for both the uphill & the downhills.
    Not advocating you to ditch the Hansons, but some sessions may compliment it.

I trust you have seen this on the BAA website?
    https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/enter/training/levelfour

If you are incorporating some hills into your training, theres some structure here for both the uphill & the downhills.
    Not advocating you to ditch the Hansons, but some sessions may compliment it.

Thanks for that.

I did switch one of the BAA 400m uphill/ 400m downhill speed sessions in for a 6x800 Hanson session.

I also have a copy of Hansons Boston specific training plan. I have switched in a few of the Hanson Boston specific sessions into my plan too.

So the Advanced Plan from the book forms the bones of my plan. The meat involves a few alterations- including a small bit of extra mileage on easy days, strides with a gradient, and switching some sessions for course specific workouts.

I have been listening to the Luke Humphrey's podcast, reading some of his blog
    and watching some of his youtube stuff. Some useful info, clarifications, and updates on what is contained in the original book. There is a good course profile podcast and suggested tactics on one his podcast, specific to Boston.

I wonder has he done a Manchester one? :D

Some great reading on here today :)

6 weeks to go to Manchester for me. Coming off 2:53:55 in Dublin, kept things ticking over and ran a 17:06 at the Jingle Bells off a couple of 5k sessions, which was a pleasant surprise.

Been averaging about 70/75 miles a week. A little down on what I'd be able to average in training for an Autumn marathon but not too bothered about that as it's still a decent number. Changed things up a little for this block; less of a focus on shorter stuff like 400's, 800's and 1k's and more emphasis on longer intervals and tempos and also doing 'stuff' in my weekend LRs at the expense of a Saturday session. I'd done very little MP work in my LR's up until this block, in fact I ran my first two sub 3 marathons without a single MP mile in a LR.

Have 6 LR's in the bag so far inc 2 steady LRs, 3 LRs with stuff inc two @ 16k steady/16k MP and 36k with the middle 12k at MP and the rest steady (ave 4:15 for that one). The one i found most difficult was yesterday's vanilla LR @4:40'ish which was a bit of an effort in the conditions.

Sessions have included two 8 mile tempos, a 10 mile tempo, mile repeats, 2k repeats and a couple of hill session.

Have also raced back to back weeks in Raheny & Trim, running a couple of PBs; 28:12 & 59:52, but really digging a sub 60 out on a day when I struggled a bit at the end of a hard weeks training.

Like AMK I don't feel overcooked, but at the same time, if you told me that I had 2 weeks to taper and race the marathon, i think I'd be good to go. I'm hoping that's a good thing! Racing Carlingford HM in a couple of weeks, looking to get a good race effort in and hopefully bag a PB on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just starting out. I was picking up so many niggles I decided to get some personal training in the gym to build myself up. 5 weeks in it’s going well and limiting what I can run but I’d rather gym cause that than injury! So I’m taking the pressure off for now and just e joying running. I did track session on Tuesday night 10x600s. What type of pace should I be doing if I’m thinking sub 2:50? I know it’s in isolation but indulge me

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Just starting out. I was picking up so many niggles I decided to get some personal training in the gym to build myself up. 5 weeks in it’s going well and limiting what I can run but I’d rather gym cause that than injury! So I’m taking the pressure off for now and just e joying running. I did track session on Tuesday night 10x600s. What type of pace should I be doing if I’m thinking sub 2:50? I know it’s in isolation but indulge me

If you use the Jack Daniels formula a 2.50 marathon equates to a 17.30 5k and would probably try to run that session at 5k pace or better so 3:30 /km.

• Advertisement

Using the JD calculator, a 2:49:30 marathon throws up 600m paces of 1:57 for reps & 2:06 for intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I cant get my head around a marathon plan with only 3 'long' runs of 16 miles. What sounds too good to be true usually is. I wouldnt be comfortble unless I had done at least 5 runs of 2.30 with at least 2 of over 3 hoirs.
    There maybe a method to the maddness for slower runners who would take 2.30 to cover the 16 miles in training but for someone targeting a fast time a 16 mile long run just wont cut it. It may be that high weekly mileage takes up some slack but how do you get high mileage in with such a short long run? I see you have decided to extend those long runs and thats sensible imo but I would definitely be going for 3 runs of over 33k if it were me especially on a course like Boston where strength is the most valuable attribute. Again imo strength is always the most important attribute for a marathon but Boston is particularly up and down and strength is vital. Im probably obsessive and go to 27/28 miles in training but I know I can handle that. Best of luck in Boston I hope the remainder of your training and the race goes well regardless of how you approach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I cant get my head around a marathon plan with only 3 'long' runs of 16 miles. What sounds too good to be true usually is. I wouldnt be comfortble unless I had done at least 5 runs of 2.30 with at least 2 of over 3 hoirs.

I haven't tried the hanson plan myself but for someone aiming for a 4hr marathon, the 16 mile Hanson run has them out on their feet for around 2.5hrs which is a proper long run and makes far more sense than sending a 4 hour marathoner out for a 3.5 hour long run in order to do 20+ miles.

I do have my doubts that any 'elites' doing the plan are actually sticking to the 16 mile long run - that actually they are going by time and doing a 2.5hr long run, however many miles that is. A 2:20 marathoner can get an easy 25 miles done in under 2.5hrs. i can understand that a 16 mile long run may be sufficient if its done off fatigued legs, the day after a longish tempo or something, but I don't believe thats the case with a hanson plan?

So 16 miles for a 4hr marathoner - yes, fine - for a sub 2:50 marathon, I'm in ultrapercy's boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

spc78 wrote: »
    I haven't tried the hanson plan myself but for someone aiming for a 4hr marathon, the 16 mile Hanson run has them out on their feet for around 2.5hrs which is a proper long run and makes far more sense than sending a 4 hour marathoner out for a 3.5 hour long run in order to do 20+ miles.

I do have my doubts that any 'elites' doing the plan are actually sticking to the 16 mile long run - that actually they are going by time and doing a 2.5hr long run, however many miles that is. A 2:20 marathoner can get an easy 25 miles done in under 2.5hrs. i can understand that a 16 mile long run may be sufficient if its done off fatigued legs, the day after a longish tempo or something, but I don't believe thats the case with a hanson plan?

So 16 miles for a 4hr marathoner - yes, fine - for a sub 2:50 marathon, I'm in ultrapercy's boat.

There is an elite version of the plan, and you're right, they don't stop at 16 miles!! These guys aren't amateurs. To answer Percy, a number of us on here have got sub 3's on the Hanson method, I think the first was Aero from a few years back. What I don't know is how fast you could go without adapting the plan to a big degree. I mean, could a fella do 2.30 or 2.45 without adding miles?

I know a lot of people add a little bit to the 16 milers. I did 30k one day and 28k another... the 30 was 2k w/u,26@Mpace+20 seconds, 2k c/d.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    There maybe a method to the maddness for slower runners who would take 2.30 to cover the 16 miles in training but for someone targeting a fast time a 16 mile long run just wont cut it. It may be that high weekly mileage takes up some slack but how do you get high mileage in with such a short long run? I see you have decided to extend those long runs and thats sensible imo but I would definitely be going for 3 runs of over 33k if it were me especially on a course like Boston where strength is the most valuable attribute. Again imo strength is always the most important attribute for a marathon but Boston is particularly up and down and strength is vital. Im probably obsessive and go to 27/28 miles in training but I know I can handle that. Best of luck in Boston I hope the remainder of your training and the race goes well regardless of how you approach it.

Hi Ultrapercy,

Thanks for your opinion. I guess the key line I take from your advice would be “I wouldnt be comfortable unless…”.

I have followed the Hanson Plans few times, and I personally have never felt as comfortable in the last ten kms of a marathon, compared to when I have followed plans involving multiple 20 milers.

The “Long Run” always causes much debate. I personally extend it to 29km following the guidelines of the Hanson philosophy of keeping it between 25-30% of weekly mileage rather than any other reason. Based on my current training, that long run would be around 2:00-2:05 on my feet.

The plan has a lot of high intensity midweek mileage. For example, this week for me had two sessions. One of 6x1mile at MP(-10) and a marathon pace tempo of 8miles. With warm ups and cool downs that’s two solid sessions and 40km logged. So when the long run comes around, the legs are pretty fatigued.

I agree that strength is vital for the marathon and Boston will require it more than a more even terrain course. I hope to develop the necessary strength. The MP(-10) workouts are labelled “strength”. By completing some of these, some of the MP tempos and LR’s over rolling terrain I hope to achieve this goal.

There are multiple ways to skin a cat or train for a marathon. For me personally, the Hanson plan works. That’s not to say it will work for everybody. I have bought into it, and I have the confidence that I know it works for me.

Following the plan, I have gone 3:00:xx, 2:52:xx, 2:47:xx and 2:55:xx (was probably in sub 2:45 shape but for an injury in last 3 weeks).

The Elite Plan involves a lot higher mileage than the books Advanced Plan. The philosophy on the long run remains the same. They want it to equated to 25% of weekly mileage, with a maximum of 30% (to cater for me and Itziger who might want to sneak in an extra km or two).

healy1835 wrote: »
    Using the JD calculator, a 2:49:30 marathon throws up 600m paces of 1:57 for reps & 2:06 for intervals.

What’s the difference for reps and intervals buddy? That’s given me a bit of encouragement I thought I was way off form just I’m not doing an additional 50 miles along with that session at the moment!

What’s the difference for reps and intervals buddy? That’s given me a bit of encouragement I thought I was way off form just I’m not doing an additional 50 miles along with that session at the moment!

Straight from the man himself......

Interval Pace
    Variety: VO2max Intervals (see below).

Intensity: Generally in the range of 95-100% of VO2max or 98-100% of HRmax. Intervals are "hard" but not all-out running by any means. Usually at a pace that you could maintain for about 10-15 minutes in a serious race. Intervals are best if they involve runs of 3 to 5 minutes each (800m and 1000m workbouts are typical), with jog recoveries of similar duration (not necessarily, equal distance); relative to the runs they follow. If a workout calls for "hard" runs, then go by feel and imagine 5k race pace, as he intensity of each run.

Purpose: Stress your aerobic power (VO2max). It takes about two minutes for you to gear up to functioning at VO2max so the ideal duration of an "Interval" is 3-5 minutes each. The reason not to go past 5-minutes is to prevent anaerobic involvement, which can result in blood-lactate build-up.

Rep Pace
    Variety: Pace reps and strides.

Intensity: Reps are fast, but not necessarily "hard," because work bouts are relatively short and are followed by relatively long recovery bouts. Recoveries are to be long enough that each run feels no more difficult than the previous run, because the purpose of Reps is to improve speed and economy and you can not get faster (nor more economical) if you are not running relaxed. If it takes 3 minutes recovery between Rep 400s, then that is what is needed. Reducing rest time between individual work bouts does not make for a better workout, in fact it probably makes for a worse workout because the short rests could increase the stress and lead to poor economy. Think of Reps as similar to current 1500 or mile race pace.

Purpose: To improve your speed and economy.

So Boston will have to wait until September for me, but it's the sensible decision.

I have been mulling over what do to do from here. I have 15 weeks of a training block done and I am feeling good for it. My current thinking is that I will try to ease off of the Hanson plan. Maintain elements of the sessions and do a couple of longer runs, maybe a 30 and two 32 km long runs at a slower pace than the Hanson prescribed paces.

I will then do 4 weeks of easy running and strides, with the odd session etc. 18 week Hanson plan starts on May 11th. I will adjust some of the speed sessions for hill reps and focus on hilly tempo sessions also.

I am looking at the postponement as an opportunity to focus on any weaknesses I have noticed during this block of training.

An added challenge will be the weather in September. Looks like we can expect temps of +20 degrees that time of year. But sure that's just another obstacle to plan for and try overcome.

Hopefully as a community, country, and globe we can overcome the health and social issues that are accelerating towards us and we can get back to normality soon!

Well lads, with everything cancelled what are you currently doing? I’m kinda ticking along with low miles and one speed run or tempo per week. Plan to continue like this until the end of June

Well lads, with everything cancelled what are you currently doing? I’m kinda ticking along with low miles and one speed run or tempo per week. Plan to continue like this until the end of June

Just trying to stay sharp really. Have the bones of a plan done up with some sharper sessions, a few shorter TT's thrown in, keeping touch with the LR 15/16 miles and trying to log 90/100k if possible (more to stop me going insane and/or gaining about 2 stone than anything else).

Signed up for Amsterdam but not exactly confident that's going to happen. Will prob throw my GFA entry in for DCM as a back up.

• Advertisement

Once Manchester was out the window, I reduced the volume and the sessions.

My training will probably follow a very loose 2 week cycle that includes CV reps, a Tempo, the odd bit of Hill Work and a long run or progression run.
    I'll aim for 2 session a week. - I'll also keep the strides going.

Volume will be 40-50miles (60-80km :) )

Not breaking any records during these times, just ticking over with lower volume sessions.
    I can feel the body slowly return from the marathon levels of fatigue that I'm 'used to' feeling as my easy pace has crept up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ever since I started running I have always been training for either a marathon or an ultra. I always had the idea in the back of my mind that it might be helpful to focus on some shorter races at some point but in reality there was always a long race on the horizon that I was training for, so that never happened.

With no races on I decided to finally do a block of 5k training. How that will work on the treadmill I'll find out but at the very least it should keep me sane and occupied.

With the lockdown potentially in place for quite some time I am actually more interested in keeping well mentally rather than physically, though a decent training program should do both.

Lads I was too ashamed of myself to reply to that. Lingering in the murky waters of 30 odd mpw. So I set about manning up and went to 6 days per week coming out at mid 40s now and should cross over 50 this week.
    Been tentatively looking at programmes and I’ve never followed AM plans but looking at 18 weeks of 55-70 mpw. Have you guys used it? I’m a tad concerned by the lack of speed work but my friends assure me the volume makes up and more for that. I’m too late to scroll back pages and I really need to put the shoulder to the wheel of predicting grades. So thoughts?

We were young and innocent on this thread back in March and April :( Boston in September...GFA entries into Dublin just in case Amsterdam didn't pan out! What's everyone doing/future plans? I'm still sort of finishing out Amsterdam block, running a HM TT in 3 weeks, toying with a hard virtual marathon effort but really not sure. On the plus side, I'm as sure as one can be about these things that I'm in sub 2:50 and beyond shape :) but it's not much use when you've nowhere to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

We were young and innocent on this thread back in March and April :( Boston in September...GFA entries into Dublin just in case Amsterdam didn't pan out! What's everyone doing/future plans? I'm still sort of finishing out Amsterdam block, running a HM TT in 3 weeks, toying with a hard virtual marathon effort but really not sure. On the plus side, I'm as sure as one can be about these things that I'm in sub 2:50 and beyond shape :) but it's not much use when you've nowhere to prove it!

I've very much grasped the chance to focus fully on rehab\S+C since the world got turned on its head, reducing volume and intensity of training. I've ramped things up considerably in the last 6 weeks and while I'm really moving well again, I'm a long way off 2.50 shape - never mind beyond.

I've deferred both London and Chicago entries, lots of talk about marathons in early 2021 but I just don't see what changes on Jan 1st 2021 that makes them possible?

For me its a case of rebuilding, keeping the focus\discipline on the S+C (it has made the world of difference), enjoying the process, maybe racing xc if it goes ahead and seeing where I land next year

J - I'd imagine there'l be quite a few running unofficial marathons in late October if that tickled your fancy, better than a solo effort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

My plan for 2020/21 was seville, Dublin, Seville, Berlin.

Really lucky seville worked out before it all went tits up.

Using this time to do stuff I would not usually get to do. A few bits on the track. Planning to give cross country a go all going well. Avoided cross country altogether in the build up to Dublin and seville.

Dropping weight and trying to keep it off, weight would be similar to the same as pre marathon.

No interest at all in a virtual marathon.

Duanington wrote: »

I'd imagine there'l be quite a few running unofficial marathons in late October if that tickled your fancy, better than a solo effort

No interest at all in a virtual marathon.

Yeah I don't know. I have this nagging thought that after 2 marathon blocks in a year, I need to make some type of withdrawal from the bank of training.

Say for arguments sake I'm in 2:48 shape right now. If next Spring sees a return to some bigger marathons, I'm going to be toeing the line with sub 2:45 as the target. Mentally (and physiologically?) trying to run that would be more manageable coming off a hard marathon effort in October?

I'll qualify the above by adding that I have no desire to run a PB marathon effort in training or even in a small local race, but such are the times we find ourselves in, I'm wondering can I avoid it. Not all of us were lucky enough to get Seville in the bag ;)

On the other hand, I DO own a pair of XC spikes... They've just never been used, so you never know :)

My plan for 2020 was Boston. Unfortunately, that was not to be. I put a good training block in for the original April date and I was probably in PB shape at that time. I took a step back at this point to take care of a few niggles.

The rescheduled marathon was to be next weekend. I was 90% sure that his would be cancelled also, but I decided it would be a good target to train towards and give focus over the summer months. I have put another good block together and found it liberating to have no real goal. I think it has thought me to listen to the body a bit better and back off when necessary. Previously, I would have found it mentally tough to take a step back when there was a big goal race on the horizon. This has probably cost me in terms of niggles becoming injury lay-offs before. I have put big ASTERISKS and underlined N.B.s on my training diary to remind myself of the good decisions. Hopefully, I can learn from this and use these good habits in future training plans when the big events return.

At this point I am probably in PB shape again. Boston is running a virtual event, open only to those who have qualified for the original event in 2020. I hummed and hawed about this. But given as its exclusive to qualified entrants and I have now trained for the event twice, I have decided I will do it. My brother was also supposed to run this year, so we are just going to do the 42.2 a bit kms next weekend as easyish training run and enjoy it and the chat.

I will take a step back in the training after the virtual and then try decide on a direction for training. I have also been threatening to do cross country for years. That could be something different and fun. I also have some relatively clean trail shoes that might see the light of day.

Might as well kick the tyres on this thread and see if there's any chance of bringing it back to life now that it looks like people are actually going to be racing Autumn marathons 😃 I bailed on Amsterdam for the (relative) organisational assurances that Manchester provided. Excitement/procrastination levels are steadily rising and I'm still four a half weeks out. Hoping to put a decent performance on the board.

• Advertisement

Nice one Mr Healy, what are the final 4 weeks of the plan looking like? I am looking forward to seeing how everybody gets on in their marathon debuts post pandemic.

I am hitting the road to Valencia after getting the call-up from the waiting list. I was half thinking about San Sebastian, and Seville in February as the back-up but delighted to be going back to Valencia.

I am on week 4 of a 16 week plan. I have followed the Hanson Advanced 18 week plan the last few goes so I decided to try something slightly different. It is also a Hanson plan, with a few extra bells and whistles. Higher mileage, a few diff sessions, some progression runs, and a long run greater than 16 miles (sacrilege!). It all falls within the Hanson "philosophy".

I have a good consistent 18 months of running/training, so hopefully I can maintain that and stay niggle free. Although, the body seems to know when there are REAL races coming and decides to tighten the muscles accordingly!!!

I haven't set a goal as of yet. Other than completing race, Plan Z will be a Boston Q time. I am hoping to eventually get there on my fourth attempt (injury, covid, covid). I didn't apply for the October event this year as I didn't fancy the risk of another cancellation and I would also like to experience the Boston Marathon in all its traditional glory rather than the scaled back pandemic version.

Best of luck for Manchester!

Advertisement