Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vostok Amphibia

• 05-09-2020 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have a Vostok Amphibia which is about 18 months old and has stopped working. At first the winding mechanism seemed to stop engaging from time to time and then it died completely. Would anyone know a good place to have it fixed? I have been quoted over 100 euro but obviously that’s more than it’s worth. I have a soft spot for the watch and would love to get it working again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Your best bet is Julian at Poljot24.de

He has a service capability, and endless original parts.

Last time I sent a Vostok Partner to him it came back under €100.

Email them and inquire, but it might just be easiest to get a new movement.

It is the 2416B auto movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I can't see anyone professional fixing it for less than it is worth if I'm honest. I had one a few years ago that I bought brand new incl shipping for something like €60.

Maybe someone friendly in here with some skills could have a look? Or you could open it up yourself. Worst case scenario is you make it worse, but it's not working anyway, so hey, it doesn't matter. And who knows it might be something just loose or something basic. Best case scenario is you fix your own watch for free :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Open it up and take a pic, it might be something obvious that's stopped it working.

Worst case scenario you can get a brand new movement for around €40

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gratefan35

Hi, thanks for all the advice, I’m going to try opening it up. Really stupid question I know, but...how do I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

gratefan35 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for all the advice, I’m going to try opening it up. Really stupid question I know, but...how do I do that?

You'll need a tool to loosen and remove the locking ring that holds the case back in place.

Locate the prongs of the tool in at least two of the six indents and turn anti-clockwise.

525704.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes it probably will depending on whether the pins are small enough to fit into the indents which are quite small on the Amphibia.
    This is what I use
    https://www.tickintimeworldofwatchtools.co.uk/waterproof-watch-case-back-removal-tool-with--pointed-pins-1063-p.asp
    You don't really need a watch case holder. I'm a great believer in getting good quality tools for the few jobs you are going to do rather than cheap tool sets full of poor quality stuff you'll never use.
    Another good investment is a Bergeon springbar removal tool for changing straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It might be too late by now ..but here's something you can try:

Pull out the crown all the way as if to set the time and twist it back and forth a few times.
    Then push the crown all the way back in and screw it down tight.
    Unscrew the crown and carefully pull it out half way, hopefully it will engage at the spot that winds it.

If it doesn't work first time, repeat the above a few more times.

If that doesn't help, you can still open it, remove the crown and stem and put it back in again...it might not be seated right

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have to confess to using the pliers tip on a Leatherman wave. Folding the handles half way down so that they're parallel to the caseback gives a bit of extra leverage.

If it slips don't hold me responsible:eek: Works on a Seiko anyway, I'm not sure if the Vostock notches will be big enough.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I have to confess to using the pliers tip on a Leatherman wave...

Wimp !
    An old micrometer is where it's at.

If that slips you bleed like a man :D

(does fit fine in the rather small Vostok cutouts though)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice! I’ve taken a couple of pics from the back, would anyone know if there’s anything obviously wrong? I removed and replaced the crown to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Wouldn't have a rasher's, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any rub marks on the inside of the caseback?

Can you get a cocktail stick and spin the rotor to see will the watch start? How does it feel when you spin it, wobbly/tight/too loose?

Not an expert by any means but it seems to be the obvious place to start.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Does it manually wind at all? You should be able to see the gear move when you wind with the stem or the rotor.

It's kinda hard to see as the relevant picture is out of focus ...but your spring barrel seems to have lost its fixing screw

526872.JPG

EDITED to add:

I have no idea if putting that screw back in (should you happen to find it somewhere inside the watch) will fix your problem or if the whole thing needs to come out and be re-set / re-assembled.

peasant wrote: »
    It's kinda hard to see as the relevant picture is out of focus ...but your spring barrel seems to have lost its fixing screw

526872.JPG

EDITED to add:

I have no idea if putting that screw back in (should you happen to find it somewhere inside the watch) will fix your problem or if the whole thing needs to come out and be re-set / re-assembled.

Wow thanks, great spot! It is indeed missing. I can’t find it anywhere, it may be lodged somewhere inside. Is it difficult to procure spare screws do you know?

Perhaps somebody on here will have a broken Vostok lying about and could get you that screw.

I really don't know however if it is as simple as putting it back in to fix your problem. The mainspring may have been dislocated/unwound while the screw went missing and might need total re-assembly.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable may step in?

...also I'd be worried about that loose screw getting into somewhere it doesn't belong. If you're feeling really adventurous you could remove the whole movement and see if you can find that screw. It should be easy enough, it's only two screws (and the stem which you already took out before)

This guy is removing a handwind movement (same as yours minus the auto-winder bits on top) from 2:20 - 5:00 in the video

Advertisement