Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

grave site

• 20-11-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Guys

no idea if this is the right area for this one or not, nothing else seemed appropriate except maybe PI. feel free to move it of needed.I'm hoping someone may have some idea how to track down info where there is no record that the council has or the council wont provide it.

So little family history:

My father was born in the 1932. He was raised by his grandparents and did not know his parents. he had one sister and she lived in the UK and she died in 1957 or 59, cant remember. just before my confirmation in the mid 80s my father attended an cousins funeral and found out that his sister was in fact his birth mother. so he was born in good old catholic Ireland outside wedlock in the 1930s. knowing what we all know now about how wonderfully these women were treated by the church his grandparents did the right thing to protect their daughter.

fast forward 40 years and I attempt to find my grandmothers grave. I speak to my mother who tells me what cemetery it is in (the one in finglas village in dublin under the pedestrian bridge). I spend 2 full days walking the cemetery and there's not a single grave stone with her name on it. there is a sign saying call to this house for information on the cemetery.

So I call in and the guy that answers the door invites me in and offers me a tea. turns out he is use to people calling looking for help, his father was the caretaker in the cemetery before him and while he himself is retired he still looks after it. he has copies of all the old grave registers and we spend an hour or two leaving through them. We find her name, Dob, Occupation (house cleaner) and the year she died. but here's the kicker there's no plot number. the guy suggests I contact the local council as they are responsible for the place.I contact the local parish and they pretty much tell me to p1ss off. apparently the local parish doesn't keep records of burials.I've contacted the local council and they cant find any record, i kept going back and forth with them for months and nothing.

So long shot is there anyone out there in internet land that might be able to help? any other source of info i could look at (all i have is here name dob and date of death and the cemetery name) that might allow me to find out where she is and put a marker on her final resting place so that at least someone knows she existed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The genealogy sub forum might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Faolchu wrote: »
    Guys

no idea if this is the right area for this one or not, nothing else seemed appropriate except maybe PI. feel free to move it of needed.I'm hoping someone may have some idea how to track down info where there is no record that the council has or the council wont provide it.

So little family history:

My father was born in the 1932. He was raised by his grandparents and did not know his parents. he had one sister and she lived in the UK and she died in 1957 or 59, cant remember. just before my confirmation in the mid 80s my father attended an cousins funeral and found out that his sister was in fact his birth mother. so he was born in good old catholic Ireland outside wedlock in the 1930s. knowing what we all know now about how wonderfully these women were treated by the church his grandparents did the right thing to protect their daughter.

fast forward 40 years and I attempt to find my grandmothers grave. I speak to my mother who tells me what cemetery it is in (the one in finglas village in dublin under the pedestrian bridge). I spend 2 full days walking the cemetery and there's not a single grave stone with her name on it. there is a sign saying call to this house for information on the cemetery.

So I call in and the guy that answers the door invites me in and offers me a tea. turns out he is use to people calling looking for help, his father was the caretaker in the cemetery before him and while he himself is retired he still looks after it. he has copies of all the old grave registers and we spend an hour or two leaving through them. We find her name, Dob, Occupation (house cleaner) and the year she died. but here's the kicker there's no plot number. the guy suggests I contact the local council as they are responsible for the place.I contact the local parish and they pretty much tell me to p1ss off. apparently the local parish doesn't keep records of burials.I've contacted the local council and they cant find any record, i kept going back and forth with them for months and nothing.

So long shot is there anyone out there in internet land that might be able to help? any other source of info i could look at (all i have is here name dob and date of death and the cemetery name) that might allow me to find out where she is and put a marker on her final resting place so that at least someone knows she existed?

I hope you have success in unraveling this.

My 2 cents worth....could you maybe start trying to contact funeral homes in the area that may have organised the burial? Maybe they have some records? They might have some information about the plot etc. It's a long shot I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

didnt realise there was one I'll pop over there now thanks

My 2 cents worth....could you maybe start trying to contact funeral homes in the area that may have organised the burial? .

not a bad idea I'll check them out, theres one up the road so chances are its was probably around then

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

From my own researches...I used to do a lot of genealogy work .

Graves got reused, and in some places grave plots were shared by more than one family . In my own family that happened around the same time you are looking at as they could not afford a separate plot. The names are all listed in the records in my family case.

Also there were mass graves in some circumstances. eg poverty. And in some cases there are separate areas of the cemetery.

You have the death cert? This IS a church issue. Not the council. Did they know she had been an unmarried mother? Did she ever marry? ( sorry , I may not have understood)

• Advertisement

No she never married, I've found her death registration info in the archives tonight and she is listed as a spinster. she died in 1957 it turns out.

I have a suspicion she was buried with an uncle of hers but that's only something my mother thinks. my mother is in her mid 80s now so the memory isn't there anymore given its 63 years ago.

interesting what you can find out, she came from a good catholic family with 8 kids according to the 1911 census information and could read and write.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Hi Faolchu

This thread is best suited to the Genealogy forum..

I see you have a thread started there already.

No disrespect to your circumstances, but it is looked on dimly to be having a couple of threads started on the same topic.

Do you want me to move this & get the one you had started there closed?

On topic, there is limited graves recorded here:

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery

ted

I wasnt aware there was a genealogy section when i posted this thread as can be seen by the timeline, it was pointed out to me and i started a new thread over there. feel free to lock this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Faolchu wrote: »
    ted

I wasnt aware there was a genealogy section when i posted this thread as can be seen by the timeline, it was pointed out to me and i started a new thread over there. feel free to lock this one.

No problem at all. I'll move this one. it is more active.

better to lock this so as to not cause issues on the other as people have offered help on that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Locked as per OP's request.

See other thread for more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement