Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admitting defeat?

• 21-10-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Have we admitted defeat to the coronavirus?

I was thinking about it after listening to Michael Martin basically saying that we will be taking a seesaw approach, opening up society when we suppress the virus and then closing when it comes back. I couldn't help but think this is a non-strategy, something a 10 year old could come up with. Sure, you will be able to suppress the virus during a lockdown, but that is all you will achieve, you will sacrifice every other element of society, the economy, all other areas of health etc. So, I don't actually see this as a strategy but rather admitting defeat and not tackling the problems we would need to tackle in order to 'live with the virus' which seemed to be the original plan. The two actual preferred strategies are 'zero covid' which doesn't look to be possible is Ireland, OR, get all of the infrastructure in place, contact tracing, hospital capacity etc, and live with the virus ie Keep society open. What we are doing really is a total cop out.

Bear in mind, I think the first lockdown was probably the right move as we didn't know enough about the virus and it was thought be be a lot more deadly than it actually is, but the latest move by the government and this continued approach is going to have a hugely negative impact on society and represents a massive failure to prepare. Not surprising but disappointing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Okay, but what's the conspiracy here?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Okay, but what's the conspiracy here?

Haha Well they have the public believing that we have some kind of strategy and that they are doing all they can, while they have just done f all. Not the juiciest conspiracy I admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

SpencerJC wrote: »
    Haha Well they have the public believing that we have some kind of strategy and that they are doing all they can, while they have just done f all. Not the juiciest conspiracy I admit.

Define what the should have done and what do you call 'f all'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

SpencerJC wrote: »

You’ve just described the vast majority of Irish governments, lots of talk and announcements but damn all progress on fixing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

kippy wrote: »
    Define what the should have done and what do you call 'f all'?[/QUOTE

Having a good contact tracing system and expanding hospital beds for a start. If we got these two things right alone, we could keep society open without being overwhelmed by the virus. The lockdown buys you the time to do these things, having to continuously go into lockdown means we've failed to what was needed in last lockdown. It was being discussed today where they said we will likely need to go into another lockdown in January. Basically admitting defeat to the virus by making lockdowns our primary strategy rather than actually solving the issue around tracing and hospital capacity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement