Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

astrofluff wrote: »
    Or Hulkenberg!

Hulkenberg hasnt got it, let a lad up from f2, young schumi maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It seems counter-intuitive but at the top level there can be tipping points where a tiny difference leads to a big difference. Watched a video of how the high-rake the Red Bulls use is very sensitive to changes and from corner to corner. Verstappen seems to be able to drive it, I assume Hamilton could and possibly Vettel. When you see the difference between him and Webber when the car was more on the edge then I think he'd be ok with it. Not seen enough of the rest of the drivers at the top level to make too much judgement.

Ah here Vettel spins in a ****in straight line! Did it AGAIN today ffs.

He’s not in any way too level. He’s washed up. Had a couple of lucky years. It’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's too easy to say ferrari have given him poor cars. Ferrari gave him a championship winning car in 2018 and maybe 2019. If his form wasn't in a nosed dive for those two seasons he could have won. It's not all ferrari's fault.

He came on the radio after quali and said he had gotten everything out of the car... His teammate was 0.3s faster than him so there was at least that much in the car.

It's time to take off the rose tinted glasses and just view his recent form (2 years) for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

https://youtu.be/_Ck9QUri1BY

Couldn't give a monkey's by the sounds of it or lack there of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Ah here Vettel spins in a ****in straight line! Did it AGAIN today ffs.

He’s not in any way too level. He’s washed up. Had a couple of lucky years. It’s over.

Didn't Riccardo spin in the same place too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I honestly believe Vettel still has it in him to mount a serious challenge at the front.
    Put him in the black Merc or the Pink Merc and Ferrari would be sorry.

On another note,
    Something I thought I would never say,
    "Thank the gods for Max and Red Bull"
    Fingers crossed for them again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One thing I've learned about Mercedes Benz is that when a weakness is exposed, it's only there once. The two James's will be working double time this week to adjust the aerodynamics for Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Missed the race and only saw a couple of minutes of the highlights. How did LeClerc manage a one stop? I know he was caught easy by Hamilton at the end but forth seems an incredible result all things considered.

Is he dragging Ferrari through a bad patch like we've seen some veterans of the sport do in bad cars previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree Hulkenberg is the type of driver they need now beside Leclerc. He was very unfortunate not to finish higher up yesterday but RPs strategy let him down that and him not getting to drive in the race the weekend before.
    As for Vertel his heart is just not in it and he has no confidence in the car he is driving or even I think at this stage the people around him which is very sad. I do not think even with Alonso did it get this bad. Maybe if Vettel could leave the team now then that is what he should do even if it was to sit out the rest of the season. Ferrari would be better just asking him if he wants to leave mow or not
    The sooner Vettel goes the sooner they can have a new driver there and get them up to speed as well as rebuilding the team around them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I disagree Hulkenberg is the type of driver they need now beside Leclerc. He was very unfortunate not to finish higher up yesterday but RPs strategy let him down that and him not getting to drive in the race the weekend before.
    As for Vertel his heart is just not in it and he has no confidence in the car he is driving or even I think at this stage the people around him which is very sad. I do not think even with Alonso did it get this bad. Maybe if Vettel could leave the team now then that is what he should do even if it was to sit out the rest of the season. Ferrari would be better just asking him if he wants to leave mow or not
    The sooner Vettel goes the sooner they can have a new driver there and get them up to speed as well as rebuilding the team around them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seb has checked out of Ferrari.

Ferrari have checked out regarding Seb.

Poisonous for all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

My first F1 race, it was nearly not a disappointment

https://twitter.com/1990sf1/status/1292744636499464192?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

My first F1 race, it was nearly not a disappointment

https://twitter.com/1990sf1/status/1292744636499464192?s=21

As a Hill fan at the time, it was gut-wrenching :(

This is the worst bit

https://twitter.com/1990sf1/status/1292765122486841345?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Tyre choices are determined at the start of the year, given we only had 8 races this is what was decided for those initial 8! Spa and Monza have the same selection as Silverstone II which could lend itself to a good performance from Red Bull given they are both very high speed tracks, might make it interesting:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Also Villeneuve's last F1 race win I believe. If you'd be told on the day he'd never win again in F1 you'd never have believed it.

Also Villeneuve's last F1 race win I believe. If you'd be told on the day he'd never win again in F1 you'd never have believed it.

That was Nurburgring the following month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's too easy to say ferrari have given him poor cars. Ferrari gave him a championship winning car in 2018 and maybe 2019. If his form wasn't in a nosed dive for those two seasons he could have won. It's not all ferrari's fault.

He came on the radio after quali and said he had gotten everything out of the car... His teammate was 0.3s faster than him so there was at least that much in the car.

It's time to take off the rose tinted glasses and just view his recent form (2 years) for what it is.
    He really belongs in a Mercedes. It would be a logical step on his career path but, of course, is unlikely to happen unless Hamilton moves to Ferrari or retires. It's much too early to write him off completely. The decision not to renew his contract was obviously a complete shock to him and is somewhat unfair on him. Mercedes simply have a superior organisation to Ferrari. I think he is just being a bit petulant and sulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Brawn revealed that if Hamilton wasn't to accept that Mercedes contract back all those years Hulkenberg was their second option to partner Nico.

What could have been :(

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Brawn revealed that if Hamilton wasn't to accept that Mercedes contract back all those years Hulkenberg was their second option to partner Nico.

Niki Lauda was the one who got that deal done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Debatable, but possibly Rosberg as multiple champion?

Ms

Nico as 4 or 5 time WDC champion and maybe Vettel in the team with him would have made it even more interesting.
    christy c wrote: »
    Debatable, but possibly Rosberg as multiple champion?

I doubt it. He only ever wanted the one WDC and is content and happy with that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Can’t imagine he would have lost to Rosberg in 2016. Six time world champion by now most likely, heading to his seventh.

Though without the toxic atmosphere back when Hamilton had a competitive team mate I doubt Mercedes ever would have hired a third rate driver like Bottas when Nico retired. Could have seen Alonso in the car as was rumoured at the time. Now that would have been something to see.

Hijpo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/_Ck9QUri1BY

Couldn't give a monkey's by the sounds of it or lack there of

Probably embarrassed after being hammeted two weeks in a a row by his teammate driving the wheels off the ferrari.

I like Vettel but tight now is performance is worthy of a midfield drive at best

chicorytip wrote: »
    He really belongs in a Mercedes. It would be a logical step on his career path but, of course, is unlikely to happen unless Hamilton moves to Ferrari or retires. It's much too early to write him off completely. The decision not to renew his contract was obviously a complete shock to him and is somewhat unfair on him. Mercedes simply have a superior organisation to Ferrari. I think he is just being a bit petulant and sulky.

Not in his performance he doesn't belong at Mercedes. Maybe on nostalgia or like ability.

When you're weighing a driver's career you have to view being petulant and sulky, very negatively. Whatever the cause of this terrible form, the fact that he's performing so poorly for so long has to be a major blight on his career.

Hulk was good this weekend. Why did he drop back behind Stroll in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not in his performance he doesn't belong at Mercedes. Maybe on nostalgia or like ability.

When you're weighing a driver's career you have to view being petulant and sulky, very negatively. Whatever the cause of this terrible form, the fact that he's performing so poorly for so long has to be a major blight on his career.

Hulk was good this weekend. Why did he drop back behind Stroll in the end?
    Reported vibrating rear tyre so boxed for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's starting to get a bit hot under the coast collar for Vettel. Now Berger saying that he should leave Ferrari immediately.

edit: I should proof my posts before submitting!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

with the break from testing to the start of the season I thought we may have seen movement prior to the races actually starting. Was a little surprised we didn't see the Ferrari swap at the time. Can't see it happening now. Would McLaren give up Sainz etc - or would Ferrari need to bring in a dev driver for the remainder if Vettel wasn't to finish out the season with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I think Vettel should go, saying that it's a bit of an ignominious departure, to be dumped mid season. If he does go then I hope he's back next year with Racing Point / Aston Martin, and has a chance to see out his career in a happier environment.

The only reason I'd want him to go now is to see who ends up where. Sainz to Ferrari now? Hulk in the McLaren?

If Vettel does go to RP there'd be no room for Hulk which would be a shame.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    It's starting to get a bit hot under the coast for Vettel. Now Berger saying that he should leave Ferrari immediately.

That's not the way it works though. Berger knows better so is presume it's just a throwaway comment from him..
    Vettel must be feeling awful but he has to finish out the season. He's a professional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement