Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

To all the critics on here...

Ironically these gifs and all the replays of Greta online increase her indirect carbon footprint if you think about it...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/U1aN4HTfJ2SmgB2BBK/source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

LirW wrote: »
    Imagine being an adult who gets worked up over a few youngsters talking about something that matters to them on the Late Late show of all places after a full week of work when it's time to relax and unwind.

Just press the red button on the remote, better for your blood pressure.

Exactly. We'll be dead and the youngsters can sort the planet out amongst themselves. They should piss off and have themselves a latte. Speccy twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Can't help but notice that the Earth is a wee bit more flooded than usual and there are more hurricanes and big storms. I must be a climate change moron.

Oh well, I got to visit Venice once, when I myself was a 'speccy wee twat', probably never again though. Ah well I guess I should just be happy enough with that, and I would be but it's flooding plenty in parts here too. Stupid boomers ye melted all me dam icecaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I must be a {climate change} moron.

Well we agree on something.

gifted wrote: »
    Tis cold....another log on my stove....

Thought this was just another boring thread until I read this post, and I suddenly perked up. Then I realised it was only 'tis'.....

Back to Yawn again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I agree with on this matter, far fewer insects inc bees, moths and butterflies over past two decades. However the cause for this is not likely climate change as such. I suspect insecticides sprayed in agriculture.
    Could well be B. Though I have noticed farmers much more aware of the environment in general. Fewer fish kills on rivers for example. But yeah, maybe more reliance on insecticides, or maybe the insecticides have become more potent? I also remember as a kid lots of ads on RTE for insecticides against hoose and roundworm and yet the insect life was much more varied and present.

Oddly many rivers in urban areas often have more varied insect life than they had when I was a kid. Better management of waste and sewerage and a general cleaning up of the urban environment of things like fumes from cars and the like seems to be major factors and I suppose feck all agriculture in urban areas so far less insecticides and the like in those environments.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Exactly. We'll be dead and the youngsters can sort the planet out amongst themselves. They should piss off and have themselves a latte. Speccy twats.

Yea they're the cannon fodder of climate change, them and pandering to them is part of the problem, their rooms are probably full of the rubbish that causes climate change. walk to school every friday they say, **** it I walked to school every day... sense of entitlement reigns

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea they're the cannon fodder of climate change, them and pandering to them is part of the problem, their rooms are probably full of the rubbish that causes climate change. walk to school every friday they say, **** it I walked to school every day... sense of entitlement reigns

Yeah. Fúck em. They deserve everything they get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Imagine being an adult who gets worked up over a few youngsters talking about something that matters to them on the Late Late show of all places after a full week of work when it's time to relax and unwind.

Well to many of us young people behaving like this comes across as sinister. It's not so much the kids. They seem programmed by adults who are weaponizing them via ideological possession. It's unnatural and unsettling. It's also dishonest. The 'attacking a child!' tactic is a way of shutting people up. We saw this with Greta Thunberg. It's creepy and the stock and trade of tyrants.

https://youtu.be/FN7r0Rr1Qyc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Motivator wrote: »
    They need to get back to whatever private school they bunked off of today and learn some manners.

Specky twats.

Irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Why does boards.ie attract so many climate denialist crackpots?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Are these people actually serious with this climate carry on? Why do they all look and sound the same? Specky twats with terrible names and even worse fake accents.

When will this end?

It will end when you pay more carbon tax. I think that is the problem some people have with climate activists, you don`t want to pay more tax but alas you must.

I suggest you pay it and refocus your energies on how to reduce your carbon footprint.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

When we were staying up nights stressing about Cuba and the nuclear end of de world, we didn't get on de Late Late

I remember watching the Soviet ships turn back from Cuba, and the general relief that WW3 was averted,
    Kennedy seems to have professional team and plan - His brother the AG, Mcnamara, some back-channels to Moscow etc.
    If same circs arise now, we will be depending on Trump's tweets

quokula wrote: »

This is After Hours you know, we have artistic license :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You seriously think China is going to follow the lead of an insignificant island on the edge of Western Europe?

Small countries can have big impacts by creating replicable and feasible means of countering climate change . It doesnt matter that an idea comes from a small country so long as the idea can be replicated in other countries easily and affordably

Yeh I have to wonder what their deal is. Do they feel guilty about not caring, or just so lazy and stubborn that they dont want to change their life in any way and just try to remain ignorant to reality by calling these young people immature or stupid?

Seems particularly common to boards. Hopefully this type of denialist mindset isnt as prevalent in wider society, or we're ****ed

Are these people actually serious with this climate carry on? Why do they all look and sound the same? Specky twats with terrible names and even worse fake accents.

When will this end?

American accents crossed with Dublin 4, you couldn't make it up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Never met anyone in my entire life denied their was a climate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Nothing wrong with the climate, just wear the right clothes...

We're designed to adapt there's been climate change on and off for millions of years.

Even when there wasn't any ok industry and man made pollution...

**** it there's fields that flooded a lot during the 80's and they haven't flooded in the 90's and 00's and onwards

And nobody dug any drainage then.

There was frequent storms, we called it gaoth ag seidhe or something in school....

Frequently you'd see the grass shiny from the wind and leaves inside out....

River's flooded etc

give me a break

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

nuac wrote: »
    I remember watching the Soviet ships turn back from Cuba, and the general relief that WW3 was averted

Well the problem is that its probably too late to stop the runaway greenhouse effect even if we cut our emissions dramatically. So the chances of anyone ever being able to say we have reversed man made climate change are remote

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the climate, just wear the right clothes...

We're designed to adapt there's been climate change on and off for millions of years.

Even when there wasn't any ok industry and man made pollution...

**** it there's fields that flooded a lot during the 80's and they haven't flooded in the 90's and 00's and onwards

And nobody dug any drainage then.

There was frequent storms, we called it gaoth ag seidhe or something in school....

Frequently you'd see the grass shiny from the wind and leaves inside out....

River's flooded etc

give me a break

This is why this is such an issue. because people like you dont look or think beyond their back garden. Climate change is not an emergency because ireland will be warmer and you have to change your clothes. Its because hundreds of millions of vulnerable people in the third world live in already hot low lying coastal areas that will become completely inhospitable

All i see are anecdotes, since when does that trump scientific truth? Flood patterns change, it doesnt mean that the climate, overall, isnt getting much wetter. maybe another region is receiving rainfall while the area of fields youre talking about has actually recieved less rain recently.A wetter worldwide climate doesnt mean every single place gets wetter. Some places will get so dry that draught is an will become a massive issue. Nobody said that storms are a new thing, they are just growing in number and intensity. You really need to think beyond your life, and ireland, because theres so much more important pieces to the big picture, and sadly we are some of the people contributing the most harm because of our massive consumption of resources per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

in a world where everything is a crisis, the actually crises can get lost in the woods.

health crisis
    homeless crisis
    housing crisis
    rape culture crisis
    immigration crisis
    climate crisis
    brexit crisis
    pensions crisis
    water quality crisis
    pay gap crisis

people only have so much crisis bandwith

nuac wrote: »
    I remember watching the Soviet ships turn back from Cuba, and the general relief that WW3 was averted,
    Kennedy seems to have professional team and plan - His brother the AG, Mcnamara, some back-channels to Moscow etc.

Where were you watching this? Pathe news before the 3pm matinee?

wakka12 wrote: »
    This is why this is such an issue. because people like you dont look or think beyond their back garden. Climate change is not an emergency because ireland will be warmer and you have to change your clothes. Its because hundreds of millions of vulnerable people in the third world live in already hot low lying coastal areas that will become completely inhospitable

All i see are anecdotes, since when does that trump scientific truth? Flood patterns change, it doesnt mean that the climate, overall, isnt getting much wetter. maybe another region is receiving rainfall while the area of fields youre talking about has actually recieved less rain recently.A wetter worldwide climate doesnt mean every single place gets wetter. Some places will get so dry that draught is an will become a massive issue. Nobody said that storms are a new thing, they are just growing in number and intensity. You really need to think beyond your life, and ireland, because theres so much more important pieces to the big picture, and sadly we are some of the people contributing the most harm because of our massive consumption of resources per capita.

A boy da kiddd

Undermining my ability to get outside of my garden...
    Nice one.

I'm slightly dyslexic so bare with me.

If we all look after our gardens and plant more natural forest's and wetland shrubs, look after our own patch first and foremost...

It's unfortunate that millions of people worldwide are living in draught area's, they should educate their own people and look after their own business.

People like yourself pontificating to people like me about climate change ain't going to impress me and lot's of others.

I manage a fairly big park 25 acres, no spraying of glyphosate or chemicals.

We plant a lot of natives and non hybridised perennials and shrubs.
    Native fruit trees too.

Every perennial I grow you can collect the seeds from in the autumn, store them and grow more plants again the following season.

So if you can better that or match that.

I'll be impressed, but nice try in educating me about biodiversity and conservation.

All you did was talk about the problem, without any solution..

Actually I'll plant a tree for you on Monday

how's that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'm just one 7 billionth of the population of humans on earth. How can I possibly make any difference?

Only an infinitismal difference. But it's about being an ok person.

I think an issue is that the people demanding change tend to be seen as people out of touch or unaffected by change. Like the Green Party in Ireland is doing a great job of negative PR for environmentalism. They want to reintroduce wolves and for people in villages to have one car per ten households. Utter nonsense.

Me, I have my one off build house with a **** ber rating and an LPG tank, two diesel cars. Changes mean hassle and financial hits. Now I need to get house up to B2 rating to be allowed extend it the way we plan. Annoying and it feels unfair when it conflicts with our plans, but I can get over myself.

People quibbling about trying to stop the planet heating up need to get over themselves.

true to form, you either have to clap along with the babbas or you are hurriedly shrieked out as a climate change denier

I'll tell you what doesn't change- the crowd that insist you follow their instructions at once, to the letter or its "with us or against us" are a crowd to steer clear of.

a mob pointing at a child or a cause as their justification is still just a mob.

nthclare wrote: »
    A boy da kiddd

Undermining my ability to get outside of my garden...
    Nice one.

I'm slightly dyslexic so bare with me.

If we all look after our gardens and plant more natural forest's and wetland shrubs, look after our own patch first and foremost...

It's unfortunate that millions of people worldwide are living in draught area's, they should educate their own people and look after their own business.

People like yourself pontificating to people like me about climate change ain't going to impress me and lot's of others.

I manage a fairly big park 25 acres, no spraying of glyphosate or chemicals.

We plant a lot of natives and non hybridised perennials and shrubs.
    Native fruit trees too.

Every perennial I grow you can collect the seeds from in the autumn, store them and grow more plants again the following season.

So if you can better that or match that.

I'll be impressed, but nice try in educating me about biodiversity and conservation.

All you did was talk about the problem, without any solution..

Actually I'll plant a tree for you on Monday

how's that ?

The point is, our actions affect those peoples lives indirectly but very significantly and its difficult to appreciate because their lifestyles dont have any kind of similar effects on ours here in ireland. They cant mind their own because many of the climate related problems affecting them are caused by people in western countries.

wakka12 wrote: »
    The point is, our actions affect those peoples lives indirectly but very significantly and its difficult to appreciate because their lifestyles dont have any kind of similar effects on ours here in ireland. They cant mind their own because many of the climate related problems affecting them are caused by people in western countries.

What are you doing about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I'm not a crackpot. I just think that 97 per cent of the world's climatologists are wrong about climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Funny cos the usual people complaining about them are all the same lonely faceless lifeless keyboard warriors.
    Funny and apt.

Advertisement