Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Country Training Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

arm-twisting of anyone not doing an autumn marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Leinster intermediate and uneven age taking place in JFK Park New Ross Wexford on 8th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Trained on the "Munich mile" for the first time at the weekend (raced on it once before), what a great resource to have access to.

Just a note on the Autumn open XC, seems to have been a great success? The open race seemed to attract plenty of runners and AI probably deserve some credit for getting more people competing at XC. Are these open type of events the way to go to increase the popularity of XC, or is this one simply living off the reputation of the Gerry Farnan? I know my own club has an open XC event (the Rás) and apart from a few guys and girl from DSD we really struggle to get Dublin clubs to travel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

pconn062 wrote: »
    Trained on the "Munich mile" for the first time at the weekend (raced on it once before), what a great resource to have access to.

Just a note on the Autumn open XC, seems to have been a great success? The open race seemed to attract plenty of runners and AI probably deserve some credit for getting more people competing at XC. Are these open type of events the way to go to increase the popularity of XC, or is this one simply living off the reputation of the Gerry Farnan? I know my own club has an open XC event (the Rás) and apart from a few guys and girl from DSD we really struggle to get Dublin clubs to travel down.

I think the Autumn Open is largely an elite event. The numbers are artifiicially inflated by the fact that it doubles as a selection race for the British and Irish masters races. If you look through the field, the vast majority are masters runners and then the rest are mainly accomplished club runners.

If you can't run the Novice or Intermediate races then there aren't too many XC races out there for the top class runners to compete against each other so events like this are probably necessary as preparation for the Inter Clubs and the likes. A lot of counties might not even have very competitive senior county races.

For introducing people to cross country, I think the BHAA races are great. Huge diversity in the field from the likes of Sean Hehir and Mick Clohissey to people just starting out in Fit4Life groups. Everyone is made feel welcome and they have a great, relaxed atmosphere at them too. Plus the brack. Its mainly about the brack, of course.....and the tea, couldn't forget about the tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I think the Autumn Open is largely an elite event. The numbers are artifiicially inflated by the fact that it doubles as a selection race for the British and Irish masters races. If you look through the field, the vast majority are hard ass accomplishedmasters runners and then the rest are mainly accomplished club runners.

If you can't run the Novice or Intermediate races then there aren't too many XC races out there for the top class runners to compete against each other so events like this are probably necessary as preparation for the Inter Clubs and the likes. A lot of counties might not even have very competitive senior county races.

For introducing people to cross country, I think the BHAA races are great. Huge diversity in the field from the likes of Sean Hehir and Mick Clohissey to people just starting out in Fit4Life groups. Everyone is made feel welcome and they have a great, relaxed atmosphere at them too. Plus the brack. Its mainly about the brack, of course.....and the tea, couldn't forget about the tea.
    Fyp. Based on personal observations :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I think the Autumn Open is largely an elite event. The numbers are artifiicially inflated by the fact that it doubles as a selection race for the British and Irish masters races. If you look through the field, the vast majority are masters runners and then the rest are mainly accomplished club runners.

Yes true similar view not many 'open' entrants in races. A few big names missing maybe thats the marathon crew , but good running all round. Hargreaves v impressive in mens as was saunders and the erstwhile AM Larkin/mcglynn. Great to watch and encouraging the number of juniors running although a few of them didnt gauge the pace right:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Yeah, the race on Sunday wouldn't have included many people just having a go. It has a bit of a fierce reputation so you don't even get that many of those very good senior runners ineligible for novice or intermediate. And even fewer (non-master) standard club runner types. Some clubs like Rathfarnham and Liffey Valley seem to generally support it every year though.

It's a great race; brilliant standard and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Sacksian wrote: »
    Thought it'd make more sense to move the discussion here from the Steve Jones thread...

I think Leinster Novice/Masters are always the day before DCM. Not many Dublin teams travel. In fact, the numbers can be lower than the Dublin novice. but it's still a good race at the top end. Donore, Liffey Valley and Sportsworld seem to compete regularly. Crusaders, Raheny and Rathfarnham did in 2013, but not in 2014.

I guess it depends on the club targets, and possibly location too. If you've the same people on Novice/Intermediate/Senior teams for county/province/national races, then it's probably right that it's the provincial race that gets missed.

Do your clubs set squad targets for xc at the beginning of the season? Or is it more discussion between athletes?

I bloody spent the last 3months solid trying to get out a team for the novice Sunday, only for it to disappeared into thin air last minute. The marathon has certainly sucked a good few potential athletes away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Timmaay wrote: »
    I bloody spent the last 3months solid trying to get out a team for the novice Sunday, only for it to disappeared into thin air last minute. The marathon has certainly sucked a good few potential athletes away.

Cross country team organisation thats always the way , it can be a headwreck!! I think you have to factor in a 40% drop out in advance for whatever reason, usually mystery illnesses or overnight health crises :D .Add in a 10% drop out in the race worst case .. So if you need a six to score you need twelve on your list to run a week out..! Usually the mid packers the most reliable too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

youngrun wrote: »
    Cross country team organisation thats always the way , it can be a headwreck!! I think you have to factor in a 40% drop out in advance for whatever reason, usually mystery illnesses or overnight health crises :D .Add in a 10% drop out in the race worst case .. So if you need a six to score you need twelve on your list to run a week out..! Usually the mid packers the most reliable too

Or club not registering you and Athletics Leinster digging their heels in less than 24 hours after register shut-off......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »

That's a shame - just concentrate on getting everyone to the National novice now! It's definitely the least popular novice race of the three for us too, but we get even less interest for the Leinster intermediates and seniors.

Still don't know whether I'll be doing the novice or master race - preference is the novice, but it will depend on the teams we have and I've raced the last 3 weekends, so I'm tired and just looking forward to Sunday evening now. And getting back to doing some training on the weekends...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Remember growing up before indoors got big doing the ras. It's still the only medal I actually give a crap about.

I think the timing is probably the issue moreso than the event itself and is similar to why the Interclubs suffered so bad in recent years.

2 days of rain, 10k XC has never been more daunting.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2 days of rain, 10k XC has never been more daunting.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Yea, for my sins. Not relishing the prospect of it but we might have a decent team depending on who shows up. Would be great to get a senior team medal but its a tough ask with the likes of DSD, Raheny and Rathfarnam. We'll definitely be missing a few of our stronger runners too.

What other XC races have you lined up before Christmas? A lot of options between now and the National Novice.

Yea, for my sins. Not relishing the prospect of it but we might have a decent team depending on who shows up. Would be great to get a senior team medal but its a tough ask with the likes of DSD, Raheny and Rathfarnam. We'll definitely be missing a few of our stronger runners too.

What other XC races have you lined up before Christmas? A lot of options between now and the National Novice.

The three teams named always produce very strong teams for Seniors alright and I would imagine Donore will be there to with a very strong team.

For me the big one I am targeting is Dublin Intermediates (week before Novice) and then will probably do the Vodafone BHAA in Marlay on 13th to wrap up the year. Not doing National Novice though opting for the other Waterford race that weekend :D

The three teams named always produce very strong teams for Seniors alright and I would imagine Donore will be there to with a very strong team.

For me the big one I am targeting is Dublin Intermediates (week before Novice) and then will probably do the Vodafone BHAA in Marlay on 13th to wrap up the year. Not doing National Novice though opting for the other Waterford race that weekend :D

You're just in it for the hat :D

You're just in it for the hat :D

I am looking for something new, have the hat and the snood from a few years back looking to complete the ensemble :P

1-4 at Inter Clubs earlier this year was Clonliffe, Raheny, Donore and DSD in that order. So, it should be between those again, depending on availability of key men. Mark Kenneally ran the Autumn Open, so he may be there for Clonliffe?

1-4 at Inter Clubs earlier this year was Clonliffe, Raheny, Donore and DSD in that order. So, it should be between those again, depending on availability of key men. Mark Kenneally ran the Autumn Open, so he may be there for Clonliffe?

May have been to put himself on radar for European XC team? Dublin Seniors not usually one athletes use to show form (Although a number have ran it in the past).From what I hear Clohisey is running the Inter Clubs in a few weeks so could well make an appearance to.

May have been to put himself on radar for European XC team? Dublin Seniors not usually one athletes use to show form (Although a number have ran it in the past).From what I hear Clohisey is running the Inter Clubs in a few weeks so could well make an appearance to.

I'd say you're probably right. Maybe there will be a few looking to keep their powder dry, but surely it's good timing ahead of Inter Clubs? I think both Clonliffe and Donore had depleted teams last year, so it'll be interesting to see how they go this time around. I don't envy you racing it!

• Advertisement

I'd say you're probably right. Maybe there will be a few looking to keep their powder dry, but surely it's good timing ahead of Inter Clubs? I think both Clonliffe and Donore had depleted teams last year, so it'll be interesting to see how they go this time around. I don't envy you racing it!

Would agree (bar the Claw as probably weighing up recovery)

Would love to see him do well at interclubs though if only to create an Irish running Trivia question of being the only man ever to win the Inter Clubs twice in the same year :D

You not running yourself?

Would agree (bar the Claw as probably weighing up recovery)

Would love to see him do well at interclubs though if only to create an Irish running Trivia question of being the only man ever to win the Inter Clubs twice in the same year :D

You not running yourself?

I raced every Sunday in October so I just want to get back to some actual cross country training (and the Munichs) at the weekends now. And racing 10k - over any terrain - is not on my list of things to do for a long time!

I raced every Sunday in October so I just want to get back to some actual cross country training (and the Munichs) at the weekends now. And racing 10k - over any terrain - is not on my list of things to do for a long time!

It's mad to think just how many races there are. I think my shift work is a blessing at times because trying to get that many sunday's off is difficult.

Just looking at the calendar for November it doesn't look much better

Nov 1st - Dublin Seniors
    Nov 8th - Leinster Intermediate
    Nov 22nd - InterClubs
    November 29th - Dublin Intermediate

It's mad to think just how many races there are. I think my shift work is a blessing at times because trying to get that many sunday's off is difficult.

Just looking at the calendar for November it doesn't look much better

Nov 1st - Dublin Seniors
    Nov 8th - Leinster Intermediate
    Nov 22nd - InterClubs
    November 29th - Dublin Intermediate

I won't be doing any of them! And that's without the two BHAA races that are normally on in October in ALSAA and Santry - I would have done the Santry race.

Meant to be running county senior at the weekend, but twinged my calf on an easy run yesterday. Physio doesn't think there is much damage, seems to have been a cramp that as left a little residual soreness. Hoping a day or two off will help it settle down and I can run on Sunday.

Meant to be running county senior at the weekend, but twinged my calf on an easy run yesterday. Physio doesn't think there is much damage, seems to have been a cramp that as left a little residual soreness. Hoping a day or two off will help it settle down and I can run on Sunday.

Calf seems to be holding up, did 40 mins today with a few surges on grass with no ill effects so looks like we should be good to go. Don't know whether to be happy or sad about that! :pac: At least it's giving a good day Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Disaster of a leinster novice after ha, bad enough head cold that morning, I was heading down to support on some of the kids, so thought I'd try run anyways, I knew afew a lap that I'd have dig seriously deep even for a top10, and risk letting the cold into my lungs, so called it quits and dnf'd. Should have a tidy team (!! Hopefully!!) for the leinster inter, range will be my issue ha, 8k really pushing it at the sec! Going to do the Wicklow senior 10k in December also, mostly for the strengthen before I knuckle down to indoor mode again (thank fook!)

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow.

Cracking weather and a nice course for the Dublin Senior XC in Tymon Park. Credit, where credit's due, it was very well organised by the Brother's Pearse folk.

Sounded like a great race up front between Mick Clohissey, Situk and Hargreaves with Mick taking the win. I was literally standing on the start line with Mick on my left, Situk one over and then Sergiu Ciobanu on my right. Felt a little out of my debt to say the least. :eek:

Bit of a mediocre race from myself but glad I gritted it out after 4k when the going got tough and didn't lose too many places. Nice to do this once a year as its a great eye opener as to where you really stand in the running world. Would have liked to do the Inter Clubs but it clashes with the niece's christening. Hoping to rest up for a week now with just easy runs as I've been a bit fatigued recently an then come back strong for a Dublin Intermediate / National Novice double to cap off the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It was a good race, the three of them in a bunch to the last km and Clohissey had the legs for the finish.
    You first in for Crusaders? (I couldn't remember what you looked like :pac:)

Advertisement