Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Docs on the TV this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

****, I just remembered I missed this, I was working last night. Any way to watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Not a documentary, but Eddie and Wolf Van Halen are appearing on CNN Newsroom on Friday 15th in the US. This will be shown here on CNN on Sunday morning at 3am. They will tour Japan in November and the tour will continue into 2013.
    I am hoping for some shows over this side of the pond.

http://www.vhnd.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pete Townsend look back at Quadrophenia

Friday BBC4 9 pm - 10.10

Quadrophenia - Can You See the Real Me?
    Guitarist Pete Townshend revisits his former haunts in Shepherd's Bush and Battersea, London, to reflect on the Who's sixth studio album Quadrophenia, released in 1973. He recalls how the record was nearly abandoned due to financial problems, a culture of drink and drugs, and a studio that was under construction. Featuring contributions by fellow band member Roger Daltrey, manager Bill Curbishley and record producer Ron Nevison

Followed by the film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 alleyjoe

I will stick it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

BBC2 right now, Barenboim on Beethoven - Nine symphonies that changed the world.

• Advertisement

Ah thats a bit posh for this thread! (I did think about watching it but got into Wallander on BBC4)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah thats a bit posh for this thread! (I did think about watching it but got into Wallander on BBC4)

One is bringing class to the thread! No, I'm not very informed about classical music but I watched the Proms this week and thought this programme gave a great insight.

Here's a couple of clips

Later on BBC4 they showed 'Arena: Amy Winehouse - The day she came to Dingle' that is a great doc if you've not see it yet.

In the early hours (midnight - 3.30 am!) BBC4 are repeating Legends - Thin Lizzy Bad Reputation
    Following that Documentary looking at how rock 'n' roll has dealt with growing up and growing old, featuring Lemmy, Iggy Pop, Rick Wakeman, Suggs, Eric Burdon, Alison Moyet and more
    Then, Storyville - 2010-2011 -
    6. Anvil! The Story of Anvil Film which follows the fortunes of respected but obscure Canadian metal band Anvil as they record their thirteenth album and try to live out a childhood dream of rock superstardom

Not sure if this is a repeat -

Friday 9 pm BBC4 - Iron Maiden

A fascinating, high-quality 'home movie', produced entirely in-house by Iron Maiden's own Krew led by Andy Matthews, it reveals how to put on an Iron Maiden tour and what goes on behind the scenes at a show. It describes the extraordinary story of one of the most acclaimed and ambitious touring shows in the world, illustrating the day-to-day life and complex tasks of the Maiden Killer Krew and the other characters behind the scenes.

As well as interviews with the Iron Maiden crew, it interweaves anecdotes from the band and their fans, and includes footage of the live show in this comprehensive guide to the intricacies of staging massive, live stadium shows around the world out of the belly of a Boeing 757.

Starting in Moscow and performing across the globe from Asia to Australia to South America and finishing up in Florida, the band travel over 60,000 miles with lead singer Bruce Dickinson once again at the wheel of their customised Boeing 757- Ed Force One

BBC4 10 pm Iron Maiden Live

Iron Maiden concert filmed on 10 April 2011 in front of over 50,000 ecstatic fans at the Estadio Nacional, Santiago during the Round the World in 66 Days leg of the Final Frontier World Tour, capturing a magnificent performance by the band, ardently embraced by the legendary Latino passion and energy of their Chilean fans. With spectacular stage backdrops, dynamic musicianship and a jaw-dropping appearance by Eddie, this live show encapsulates the heart and soul of Iron Maiden 2011. The set features Final Frontier, El Dorado, Dance of Death, Trooper, Blood Brothers, Where the Wild Wind Blows, Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden

Finally! A new Friday night music evening - Jeff Lyne and ELO

2100 - 2200 : Mr Blue Sky, the story of Jeff Lynne & ELO

2200 - 2300 : ELO Live At Wembley (1978 tour, I saw this on TV Christmas 1978 if its the show I think it is - NEC Birmingham with the spaceship)

2300 - 2350 : Rock Family Trees - Birmingham Beat

2350 - 0020 : Jeff Lynne Acoustic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Led Zeppelin live in London 2007 BBC2 tonight at 10.45 - 11.45 pm.

Ac/Dc in concert (Riverplate) 2009 - TG4 10.50 - 11.50 pm (Just in case you missed it yesterday on BBC4).

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Slade night on BBC4 from 9.00 with repeats after Slade In Flame
    It's Slade
    Documentary first shown in 1999 about the band. During their career, the group, led by Noddy Holder, went from skinheads to mirror-hatted, platform shoe-wearing glam rockers, before finally re-emerging as hard rock heroes. Their six number-one singles in the 1970s included Cum on Feel the Noize, Mama Weer All Crazee Now and Merry Xmas Everybody, and they also sold more than 50 million records worldwide. Featuring contributions by band members Holder, Dave Hill, Jim Lea and Don Powell, as well as fans and friends such as Noel Gallagher, Ozzy Osbourne and Suzi Quatro. Narrated b
    Slade at the BBC
    Noddy Holder introduces a compilation of the band's performances from the BBC archives. Featuring appearances from the 1970s on shows such as Top of the Pops, Blue Peter and Crackerjack, with classic hits including Coz I Luv You, Mama Weer All Crazee Now and Cum on Feel the Noize
    Slade in Flame (1974)
    A confrontation between a horror-themed signer and three backing musicians lands all four in jail, where they decide to form a band together. An ambitious promoter offers them the chance to become famous, and reinvents their image, but as their success grows, tensions within the group threaten to tear them apart. Drama, starring the 1970s rock band, with Tom Conti

Queen on BBC4

9 pm Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender Director's Cut
    10.30 Live in Budapest
    12.00 Queen: The Legendary '75 Concert

BBC4 Tuesday 9pm for three weeks.

The Sound + the Fury: A Century of Music
    Season 1 Episode 1 of 3
    Wrecking Ball New series. Exploring the changes in classical music during the 20th century, when melodies and harmonies of the past were replaced by radically different sounds as artists responded to global upheaval and scientific developments. Featuring performances of key pieces and contributions by modern composers including John Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC2 tonight at 9.20pm
    David Bowie - Five Years
    Documentary exploring five key years in the singer's career, which saw him redefine himself as an artist by adopting a different persona - each one marking a shift in musical direction. Featuring interviews with his collaborators, the programme focuses on five pivotal years in Bowie's career as a recording artist - from 1971's ultimate glam-rock icon Ziggy Stardust and reinvention as the impeccably dressed soul stylist the Thin White Duke in 1975, to his regeneration in Berlin with the critically acclaimed 1977 album Heroes, 1980's Scary Monsters triumph and Let's Dance's global success in 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 71,248 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Two-part award-winning Eagles documentary tomorrow night, BBC2 NI 10pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xfq6p

You don't have to watch it...you can tune out any time you like (sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Two-part award-winning Eagles documentary tomorrow night, BBC2 NI 10pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xfq6p

You don't have to watch it...you can tune out any time you like (sorry).

I Watched it. Fascinating stuff. More than a few grudges still being held.

Part two of The character assassination of Don Felder History Of The Eagles tonight BBC2 NI 11.25pm.

Hands up those who now have a man-crush on Joe Walsh?

Its Mr Felder!

Edit: Didn't really watch the credits but I think I caught out of the side of my eyes that Glen Frey was one of the producers of this doc and he still came out of this programme still looking like he had a huge ego and not someone you would want to be in the same room with along with Henley.

Walsh is still high I would say.

Part two of The character assassination of Don Felder History Of The Eagles tonight BBC2 NI 11.25pm.

Hands up those who now have a man-crush on Joe Walsh?

Didn't watch part one (not an Eagles fan) but always liked Joe Walsh.

mike65 wrote: »
    Didn't watch part one (not an Eagles fan) but always liked Joe Walsh.

I'm not either but this was a Programme more than just about music it was about egos and human interactions. Really,the wrong type of people having too much money. Funnily enough all the nicest people seemed to leave the band except for Schmit who seemed decent enough.

• Advertisement

I'll watch it when this turns up on BBC4 (as it surely will)

BBC Four tonight is Beach Boys night!

10.25 The Beach Boys: Doin' It Again
    11.20 The Beach Boys: Live At Knebworth
    12.30am Legends: Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy

Surf's up!

:D

RTE1, Saturday at 10.55pm

Shine a Light
    Martin Scorsese's concert film capturing the Rolling Stones' 2006 performances in New York's Beacon Theatre. Along with the footage of the concerts, featuring guests Jack White, Christina Aguilera and Buddy Guy, the film includes backstage interviews and archive material of the band throughout their history

Do you like Bjork?
    Do you like David Attenborough?

Have you ever dreamt that they might one day collaborate on a documentary about how music, technology and nature are connected?

Then you might like 'When Bjork met Attenborough' on Channel 4, Saturday at 7pm!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/when-bjork-met-attenborough/episode-guide

Might be great, might be mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

BBC 4@ 10PM Old Grey Whistle Test 70s Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Anyone watch the new TG4 series Guth tonight? The series is about famous musicians that have Irish heritage. Last week was Bing Crosby, this week was Dusty Springfield. It's been pretty good so far, thought this weeks show was a lot better than the Bing Crosby one. Lots of good archive of Dusty Springfield and a good case made for her being influenced by her Irish roots - she even had her ashes scattered at the Cliffs of Moher.

Remaining episodes look at John Lydon, Morrissey/Marr & Gallagher brothers. Looking forward to Lydon - I read his autobiography No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish a few years back and he talks a good bit about his Irish roots in it.

Imagine - Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A 'Comin
    Tuesday Oct 29th - BBC 1 Northern Ireland 11.05pm (Other Regions 10.35pm)
    Jimi Hendrix was a true original, a former private in the 101st Airbourne who famously found an audience when former Animals bass player Chas Chandler discovered him and brought him over to the UK. He revolutionised the music scene and pushed his musical gifts to their extremes to become arguably the greatest rock guitarist of all time. Bob Smeaton's film features never-before-seen performance footage, home movies and family letters, as well as contributions from the Hendrix family, Paul McCartney and former bandmates Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell

Read more at http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=12868224#MKQGIdLeOviYOjJY.99

Its Who night on BBC4 Friday (tonight)

Making of Tommy
    Tommy (1975)
    Quadrophenia - the making of (repeat)

BBC1 Tonight (Tuesday) 10.35

Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train a Comin'

if you miss it I'd say there will be a repeat.

• Advertisement

Great documentary about Hendrix, makes me a bit sad every time I'm reminded - just 4 years and so much that could have followed.

Advertisement