Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nike React Infinity - good for neutral pronators

Options
  • 29-11-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Looking for a pair of new running shoes. Currently running in Brooks Ghost 12 and before that Nike Air Zoom Pegasus - liked both.

Did a search on a few running shops for neutral running shoes and the ones that caught my eye are Nike React Infinity. Getting them for a fair price and am intrigued after reading the reviews. My only concern is are they really a suitable shoe for a neutral runner? Any opinions from anyone who runs in these?

I'll be using them for my training runs, anything from five miles to twenty.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They'll be fine, though probably a bit lighter than the Ghost or the Pegasus.

Don't get too hung up on the pronation aspect when it comes to running shoes, if they are comfortable and feel good running in them then they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I wore the Ghost 12 and also Pegasus 35 and 36. Currently I alternate between Ghost 13 and the Nike React Miler. I believe the React Miler are pretty similar to the Infinity React. I find the miler super comfy as a daily trainer and for long easy runs. I can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thanks both for your replies, I appreciate it.

I'm also now looking at a pair of Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37 Shield. I assume the only difference between regular Pegasus and Shield version is shield has extra water proofing. Wondering if anyone has Shield version and if the "Shield" has any negative side effects (e.g. make shoe less breathable? too warm?)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

adrian522 wrote: »
    They'll be fine, though probably a bit lighter than the Ghost or the Pegasus.

Don't get too hung up on the pronation aspect when it comes to running shoes, if they are comfortable and feel good running in them then they should be fine.

What a stupid comment. Why make support shoes at all so then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

What a stupid comment. Why make support shoes at all so then?

To make money I suppose.

I don't see anything stupid about that comment.
    Wearing a particularly type of shoe is hogwash. No "type" if shoe will prevent injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,965 ✭✭✭✭event

I have them and I would overpronate, fine for me.

They do begin to hurt upwards of 12 miles though

Ceepo wrote: »
    To make money I suppose.

I don't see anything stupid about that comment.
    Wearing a particularly type of shoe is hogwash. No "type" if shoe will prevent injuries.

You clearly don't over pronate so then.
    If you did you'd realize you need to carefully consider the shoes you wear.
    Over pronation is caused by mechanics of the body and a "comfortable shoe" won't magically correct it, unless the shoe is the right match for the existing mechanics of the wearer.

For some the body can become stronger over time with the right strength training for legs and hip flexors or overall core improvement but the majority of pronation issues stay with the person that suffers with them for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Picked up a pair on the Nike app for €72.35 with free delivery, thanks OP!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Plenty of studies out these debunking the myths around "Stablitiy" and"Motion Control" shoes if you are intested in educationg yourself.

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2019/10/24/how-not-to-buy-running-shoes-according-to-science/
    For instance, in a series of studies performed on military recruits, those who were given motion control, stability, or neutral shoes based on their arch height did not fare any differently injury-wise than those who were all given stability shoes. Furthermore, another study found that running in motion-control shoes led to more injuries and put runners in more pain, regardless of their foot type. Although one study exists suggesting that motion-control shoes might reduce injuries in runners who over-pronate, the consensus seems to be that the way most people choose their running shoes is not science-based at all.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Plenty of studies out these debunking the myths around "Stablitiy" and"Motion Control" shoes if you are intested in educationg yourself.

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2019/10/24/how-not-to-buy-running-shoes-according-to-science/

Ok so you have your opinion based on google, but I am basing it on fact that I have never had an injury in 13 years, aided by wearing the correct type of shoe.

How is you luck with injuries? I don't think I'd be taking your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Ok so you have your opinion based on google, but I am basing it on fact that I have never had an injury in 13 years, aided by wearing the correct type of shoe.

How is you luck with injuries? I don't think I'd be taking your advice.

How do you know you wouldn't have been injury free regardless though?

That's the whole point of the scientific process.

The "opinion" the other poster has based on google is actually two studies with almost 3000 participants with experimental and control groups.

Wear whatever shoes you like if you think they help, but in this instance N=3000 > N=1 from a proof perspective.

The "opinion" the other poster has based on google is actually a 700+ participant study with experimental and control groups.

Wear whatever shoes you like if you think they help, but in this instance N=700+ > N=1 from a proof perspective.

Because I overpronate, how many injuries to you see day in day out because people want to wear flats and racing shoes despite what their body is telling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The "opinion" the other poster has based on google is actually two studies with almost 3000 participants with experimental and control groups.

Wear whatever shoes you like if you think they help, but in this instance N=3000 > N=1 from a proof perspective.

You'd have to assume he found out about his gait after an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

You clearly don't over pronate so then.
    If you did you'd realize you need to carefully consider the shoes you wear.
    Over pronation is caused by mechanics of the body and a "comfortable shoe" won't magically correct it, unless the shoe is the right match for the existing mechanics of the wearer.

For some the body can become stronger over time with the right strength training for legs and hip flexors or overall core improvement but the majority of pronation issues stay with the person that suffers with them for life.

As it happens I do, as do the vasy majority of people. Pronation is one of the bodies natural shock absorbing mechanisms. Some of the best athletes in the world clearly pronate including Kipchoge and Cheptegei
    Even the term "over pronation" is very subjective, as we dont have any clear "guidelines " as to what might be natural pronation, to ascertain what "over pronation" might be.

Foot pronation can come from may areas of the foot, this is even before we look at external tibial rotation, femoral retrotorsion, pelvic orientation etc.

The fact that you or anyone else are injury free for a period of time, is probably coincidence.
    As already pointed out, there's no evidence that an particular type of shoe prevents injuries.
    The commonly done in store gait analysis might be good to observe what the foot does in mid stance phase of the gait cycle, but not any good as to the "why"

Theres is nearly always a case of "if its not broke, do try fix it".
    Many many people run every day with biomechanical dysfunction and are injury free, however if someone is having reoccurring issues soft tissue or joint issues, I'd recommend get them look at, as this is more likely a muscle imbalance restrictions or weakness than it is a shoe issue and people would be better served in the long run before looking at runners

Road running shoes are the only type of foot wear that promotes different types of shoe, no other sports cater for this, in fact even trail runners don't.

If you're happy with your shoe type choice, then great for you, long may you stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

When I started running I had a gait analysis done and was deemed to overpronate. I always ran then in stability shoes. I picked up Nike Epic Reacts about 18 months ago for a really cheap price, absolutely loved them and ended up doing DCM in them. No injuries or foot soreness. I actually just assumed they were stability shoes. Went looking to buy more but couldnt find them so there is a pair of Infinity reacts waiting under the tree for me in a few weeks (It'll be such a surprise:-) ). I dont know how that answers the OP's question but I guess if the Infinity Reacts are the same as the Epic Reacts then I dont imagine there would be any issue with pronation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm a big fan of the Adidas Ultraboost. I've tried react, zoom etc and they're grand but I do pick up niggles occasionally with them. I've not had any niggles for the last 6 months doing 20K a day 5 days a week on Ultraboost.

They are pricey, and possibly a tad heavier than other options, but I got them on sale so no complaints. :)

Jeepers, what have I started ;-)

My Nike React Infinity arrived. Nice shoe except I find the right a little tight - left is perfect. I'll give them a few more runs to see if the right loosens out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

tmh106 wrote: »
    My Nike React Infinity arrived. Nice shoe except I find the right a little tight - left is perfect. I'll give them a few more runs to see if the right loosens out a bit.

I'm liking my new ones so far too. Have to say the material that grips the road is very thin indeed, I expect they are therefore not going to last into as high mileage as my other New Balance runners. Time will tell.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

tmh106 wrote: »

They are a great shoe, just get out there and trust the fit.
    I alternate from lock laces on a kayano to this and find them just fine, no blisters or sliding of the foot, the sock liner is snug but not tight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement