Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you have done?

• 29-11-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Was out early this morning had to drive young lad to work and I was passing through our local town and I spotted this young one, she was legless on her own and looked very disoriented, my first thought was to stop and try to get her home safely as I have a young daughter myself. But than I said fucck better keep going and not get involved just wondering what would you have done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭9db3xj7z41fs5u

popa smurf wrote: »
    Was out early this morning had to drive young lad to work and I was passing through our local town and I spotted this young one, she was legless on her own and looked very disoriented, my first thought was to stop and try to get her home safely as I have a young daughter myself. But than I said fucck better keep going and not get involved just wondering what would you have done.

I would have done the same.

The other option would have been to call the Gardaí, but I doubt they would come

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Thanks guys just thinking about it today and how vonrible she was on a cold dark morning and was there anything I should have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I'd have stopped to see if she was OK or needed a lift and called the Gards if she was completely out of it or lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

It's a desperate sad sign of the times when the majority of replies so far say they would have carried on their way and I'm disappointed in myself to say I'd have done the same. Too risky these days of being accused of something and having yourself destroyed.

I would have just rung the Gards and said someone is in a bad way and I cant hang around for them to arrive but I wouldn't have gone near her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Absolutely would just carry on..even the act of stopping and asking how she is could be taken out of context by her, especially in her state or by passersby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I would have rang the local station, so in essence I would have done the same as you.

What are people afraid of happening if they asked her if she was OK? If she takes it the wrong way or is uncomfortable she'll ignore you or say she's grand or something. She's not going to start blowing a rape whistle at the side of the road because someone asked if she was ok.

More than likely she'd either say she's OK, take the lift or ask to use your phone to call someone to pick her up.

A worse thing would be to carry on, do nothing and hear something happened to her. That'd worry me more than accidentally looking like a perv.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

No good deed goes unpunished as they say. Very easy for onlookers to misjudge the situation, and hard to shake off aspersions after theyve been cast. I'd have done the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I would have put my phone on audio record and asked he was she ok or did she need assistance.
    If the answers concerned me, I'd have then called the Gardai.

If someone I cared about was in such a situation, I'd like to think someone would be good willed enough to help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I think I would've drove on. Or called the guards.
    Its terrible to think that the way society is gone, that you can't do a good deed without the chance off of getting into bother. Then again, my colleague's saying is No good deed goes unpunished.

Kylta wrote: »
    I think I would've drove on. Or called the guards.
    Its terrible to think that the way society is gone, that you can't do a good deed without the chance off of getting into bother. Then again, my colleague's saying is No good deed goes unpunished.

Is that the way society has gone? Is there a load of incidents where people have been accused of stuff for trying to help people that I've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Absolutely would have driven on too. Unless she was in clear, life threatening danger i would have not stopped. .

Remember what happened to poor Rodney Trotter when he tried to help that drunk woman.

Interesting question, would you have even given a second though if it was a male?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If she was actually disorientated, and completely alone, I'd have stopped. Tipsy and making tracks home is different, that's character building :D but if I thought she was going to hurt herself getting home or she looking like she was in very bad shape, I'd stop to see if I could help. I know it's generally a risk but I until I get burnt on it, I'll probably stay the same way.

But I'd actually find that if it was a guy, they'd need to be visibly in trouble. double standards I know but that's the way I am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I really hope my daughter is never in this situation, but if she is I really hope she meets someone more caring than you shower of useless fu¢ks. Yes, I would have stopped to see if that girl needed help.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

It's a hard one as she was highly vulnerable. But the
    poor girl and many other young people are walking up and down Ireland's streets on early Sunday mornings "out of it" as well. Indoor gatherings / house parties are still going on where there is plenty of drink and drugs being consumed I can assure you.

But if there were a group of males following her or a highly suspicious scene going on I would be expecting some degree of intervention from myself or anyone else i.e call the Guards etc.

I would have likely ignored the situation as well, knowing what I know of young wans who are out of it. plus I'd be expecting a "**** off ya prick"too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

I really hope my daughter is never in this situation, but if she is I really hope she meets someone more caring than you shower of useless fu¢ks. Yes, I would have stopped to see if that girl needed help.

Unfortunately it's not so black and white, a random drunk woman or girl, call the cops is the best option but if you get involved no matter how good intentioned it might not play out so well.
    Harsh times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I have a daughter too and also hope she never ends up like this, as I'm sure most parents do. If I had a son, I'd advise him not to get involved either, in order to protect himself from false allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

As I have done in the past, I'd stop and make sure they're OK. I couldn't in good conscience just carry on.

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Is that the way society has gone? Is there a load of incidents where people have been accused of stuff for trying to help people that I've missed?

There was an incident in my area a while back, there was this woman in her 20s. Anyway she crying and babbling and well jarred, (it seems she was arguing with her fella). Anyway this guy(who's actually gay). Decided to see if this girl is alright. But along comes this girls fella who sees her talking to the good Samaritan. When the boyfriend starts to mouth off, the girl starts screaming she's being molested by the good Samaritan.
    Now this issue could've been a lot worse, because the girlfriend wanted the guards, the boyfriend wanted to fight the good Samaritan. But unknownst to the three participants in the arguement, their were other people watching this action taking place. They intervened and not only put the boyfriend straight, but also called the guards. Now the witnesses saved the good Samaritan. But what if they weren't there. Who would the police have believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Kylta wrote: »
    Who would the police have believe?

Unless the incident took place in a field in the back of the beyonds they'd check the CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is awful that we find ourselves in this age where this question is even considered, I'm sure most of us have helped out women for various reasons on the very basis that someone would do the same for our sisters or partners etc.

But let us not forget -

Syl Roche, and elderly man well known in Dublin, posed for a photograph having being asked by a woman he didn't know, she would go on to falsely accuse him of sexual assault (without consequences), the garda file was approved by the DPP and it made into a court and the national news cycle despite the existence of video footage that exonerated him.

A number of perfectly innocent male teachers arrived at work in Carlow last Tuesday morning as per usual, by the end of the day they were being shamed nationally and internationally by politicians, "journalists" and angry feminists as perverts and paedos.

Every man has to ask himself how much risk is he willing to expose himself to in this day and age, I have seen it first hand, I have seen an innocent man who gave up his free time to coach young women be falsely accused of sexual assault.

You made the right call OP, chivalry is thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

“Jasus you’ll never guess, I just saw Tommy down the village trying to get this legless young wan into his van... i always knew there was something about that fella...”

Yep, I’d drive on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Unless the incident took place in a field in the back of the beyonds they'd check the CCTV.

Sounds like it happened away from CCTV pal. Not everywhere is covered by CCTV..

The guards would likely believe the girl, who turned out to be absolute scum. There are too many incidents where lads get blamed for things like this, best to avoid unfortunately.

Actually that's a fair point, but cc/tv has to be working, andfrom what angle you actually look at the camera footage, a lot of cc/tv can be inconclusive at times.

rapul wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not so black and white, a random drunk woman or girl, call the cops is the best option but if you get involved no matter how good intentioned it might not play out so well.
    Harsh times
    Antares35 wrote: »
    I have a daughter too and also hope she never ends up like this, as I'm sure most parents do. If I had a son, I'd advise him not to get involved either, in order to protect himself from false allegations.

Bull****. It is that black and white. If her condition is such that it alarms you enough to think you should stop, you should fu¢kin well stop. Dealing with what happens next is up to you, when it happens, but this opt-out crap I'm seeing on here is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Most cars have dash cams at this stage. Pull in behind her and ask if you can call someone for her. Let her wait in your car alone while someone picks her. You wait at front of the car on camera.

Better than hearing her getting attacked or killed by another motorist.

If an allegation is made against you take legal action

Bull****. It is that black and white. If her condition is such that it alarms you enough to think you should stop, you should fu¢kin well stop. Dealing with what happens next is up to you, when it happens, but this opt-out crap I'm seeing on here is just awful.

I call bull**** on your post and calm down there, we are all entitled to our own opinions

Call all you like, it just might cover your cowardly attitude.

• Advertisement

SNIP

Yup, speak for yourself

Advertisement