Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowman Palace plan

• 22-03-2019 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭

So a little idea has been germinating in my idle mind for a little while-een, and perhaps some of you would like to wade in on it.

I've a 2013 Cervelo R5 from new that only sees sun and is properly mint as a result, but I'd like a change from it. I don't have the cash for another top end carbon frame, and I don't know that it'd be that different anyway, but I've been keen to try a top aloominum frame for a while and they are much much more affordable.

So - I'm thinking - strip the Cervelo, hang on to the frame and forks for another build on another day, and build up a Bowman Palace R. - I'm talking superlight and stupendously reliable, 10-speed SRAM red, 3t aero carbon bars and stem, and mavic ksyrium exalith SLRs. -Top stuff in other words.

Is it a silly idea? I don't do any racing, I do do a lot of climbing. It'll be heavier, but it'll be different, I imagine it'll be stiffer and racier than the Cervelo. It's not mad money, and it's not a big financial gamble or depreciation risk like a new 4 grand big name carbon frame would be. If for some reason it's pants then I can put the Cervelo back together again and sell the Palace easily, or use it for an alternative build.

I suppose I'm intrigued first of all to see what the Palace R is like in and of itself, and also how it compares to a frame 5 times its cost.

Alternatively of course (for similar money) I could buy a used fully built up ultegra spec caad12 that will answer a lot of those questions, with a lot less messing around. But to my mind the palace does have an added cachet (and threaded BB) that trumps the CAAD.... (does it?)

Whatchy'all fink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

I done something similar. Had a cannondale supersix evo, stripped it, sold it and bought a Specialized Allez sprint. Built it up with all top end stuff, fulcrum racing nite, etap, zipp carbon bars. I don't know the weight but it feels light. I love it, I did like the cannondale, like you I just fancied a change. But a top alu frame is lovely. The only thing I find with it, 3/4 days in a row on it or if the surface is particularly bad they can be a bit rough. It's something I never really noticed on some of my other bikes but they can be a bit rougher on the body. But I still wouldn't change it, usually I swap my bikes round a bit but it's the one I can't see myself ever moving on. Bowman palace was on my list I was looking at too. Meant to be a great bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

I built up a Palace R with Ultegra for a friend a while back. His other steed is a Basso Diamante decked out in DA. We're doing 160k/3000m tomorrow and his bike of choice is the R. I don't know if that answers anything in particular but sure its a nice little anecdote anyway.

FWIW if I ever had to retire my CAAD10 I'd be all over the Palace R in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cheers lads, all OP's ever really want from such threads is affirmation so good stuff so far:).

Two questions Plastik. What's the 160 route, and any idea how a 12 differs from a 10? - I thought twas a caad12 you had

(I've pencilled in an Orwell Randonnee approximation for the morning, weather permitting! )

CAAD10 v 12 - 10 has external cable routing, marginally different geometry, and slightly different tube shaping. They're very similar TBH. With the internal cabling on the 12 though it means that you can't press-in a threaded sleeve to the BB shell to convert it to BSA. You have to use one of the more expensive BB30 conversion options.

Cheers Plastik. I'd love to but I've a date made with my own band of merry men. We might see ye on the road though. We head out early (7.30) plan is to go Brittas, Featherbeds, and Randonee route from there (Powerscourt, Djouce, Lugalla, Sally, Laragh, Wicklow gap, big lakes, and I've a strong suspicion that by Manor Kilbride we'll chicken out for home rather than doing the Wicklow gap again). But we'll be stationary in Laragh supping Clodagh's finest coffee for a bit for sure if ye happen to amble by! :)

I spotted a green Bowman PR a few weeks back in Laragh. Wouldn't be my colour of choice now I have to say, was a bit Kermit the Frog. But a nice looking bike, and the stem fairly slammed fair play to the flexibility of the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I built up a Palace R last year but have only gotten out on it a handful of times. Built up, if I recall correctly, it came in near as be dammed the same weight as my canyon CF . Now I had some non-stock heavier parts on the Canyon so it was running a bit heavier than stock.

The Palace also feels a very similar ride to the Canyon and can't say I've noticed any discernible difference if stiffness or reaction to inputs.

I don't have lot of outdoor riding done in the last 8 months, so my view may change in the coming weeks when I get more time back on both of them

Your welcome to take a test spin if you'd like to try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm starting a new CAAD12 build tomorrow so fully support this plan!

Crocked wrote: »

I'd love a look at least. Any pics here on the site or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I built up a Palace R last year but have only gotten out on it a handful of times. Built up, if I recall correctly, it came in near as be dammed the same weight as my canyon CF . Now I had some non-stock heavier parts on the Canyon so it was running a bit heavier than stock.

The Palace also feels a very similar ride to the Canyon and can't say I've noticed any discernible difference if stiffness or reaction to inputs.

I don't have lot of outdoor riding done in the last 8 months, so my view may change in the coming weeks when I get more time back on both of them

What size palace did you get ? Thinking of buying a 54. Had the chance to buy the bright green one but prefer the black and jade .

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'd love a look at least. Any pics here on the site or anything?

Not to hand but I'll get a couple up over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I fully support palace r plans. They're class.
    They're on the severe want list

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

Palace have less clearance than caad12
    Geometry is fairly similar.
    Found Cadd12 suits me better but Bowman is not bad either. Hard to say what it is but I have that feeling that brains tells to cycle faster and faster unlike bowman but it's obviously something in my head :).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

Cheers Plastik. I'd love to but I've a date made with my own band of merry men. We might see ye on the road though. We head out early (7.30) plan is to go Brittas, Featherbeds, and Randonee route from there (Powerscourt, Djouce, Lugalla, Sally, Laragh, Wicklow gap, big lakes, and I've a strong suspicion that by Manor Kilbride we'll chicken out for home rather than doing the Wicklow gap again). But we'll be stationary in Laragh supping Clodagh's finest coffee for a bit for sure if ye happen to amble by! :)

I spotted a green Bowman PR a few weeks back in Laragh. Wouldn't be my colour of choice now I have to say, was a bit Kermit the Frog. But a nice looking bike, and the stem fairly slammed fair play to the flexibility of the owner.

Ha, that was myself. The first thing people always mention is the colour for better or worse...

Here it is with campy a year or two ago https://photos.app.goo.gl/B87LMA8YFye4Tnen8

I also have the Bowman Pilgrims for doing gravel around Wicklow. Cracking bike as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p7cJXFTdQf5YV3Tu5

Pic from last summer seems to be the only one I have, Should be able to get one or two tomorrow closer up

Keep an eye on their instagram account, they have some low run colour options they announce there from time to time. Did a lovely silver and black one a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Just stumbled across this thread now. I'm in the process of putting the parts together for an aluminium build, as yet no frame. Can't decide between the bowman palace or caad12 - have found some good deals on caad12 frames. Any thoughts, advice anyone can share? I've read that the bowman is not great for 25mm tyre clearance. Is this true? I see you can get the bowman palace in a blue orange colour now as well. All comments appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Oberkon wrote: »
    What size palace did you get ? Thinking of buying a 54. Had the chance to buy the bright green one but prefer the black and jade .

They had a nice blue and orange colour when I was looking at them a few weeks back

https://bowman-cycles.com/products/bowman-palace-r-frameset

bsb1971 wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this thread now. I'm in the process of putting the parts together for an aluminium build, as yet no frame. Can't decide between the bowman palace or caad12 - have found some good deals on caad12 frames. Any thoughts, advice anyone can share? I've read that the bowman is not great for 25mm tyre clearance. Is this true? I see you can get the bowman palace in a blue orange colour now as well. All comments appreciated!

AS far as I know the newer version is fine for 25mm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

bsb1971 wrote: »

I bought a caad12 105 in February of this year and even with 8 weeks off the bike with a back injury the bottom bracket is creaking now. I was out on it on Sunday and it was 76km of creak. Nice bike though and goes plenty fast, will have to stick a rotor bb in if it's doesn't shut up

FWIW I'm in the middle of an alu build. Rose Xeon frameset with SRAM Force22. 3T finishing kit and wheels TBC.

I posted it on another thread, but CRC have amazing deals on 3T. Got bars, stem, seat post, bar tape, front derailleur adaptor and Look Keo for just over the €100 mark!

• Advertisement

Re deals on CAAD12's, there's a 13 out later this month - so you may find better deals on the 12 at some stage, or wait for the new frame.

u5mjXOJl.jpg

Well I never did any of the things I said I'd do. Would still love to but, I haven't seen any stupendous deals on CAAD's in my size and they're quite colour sensitive - can look great or sh1te depending on the colour scheme.

Not sure about the new orange Palace R meself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

The specialized allez dsw is worth a look too. Another good alu frameset. Colours change regularly enough too, a lot of limited editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Well I never did any of the things I said I'd do. Would still love to but, I haven't seen any stupendous deals on CAAD's in my size and they're quite colour sensitive - can look great or sh1te depending on the colour scheme.

Not sure about the new orange Palace R meself

I'm in the middle of a CAAD12 Ultegra disc build (well I say in the middle of, I bought all the main components earlier in the year and they are sitting at the end of a room since, just need cables etc.)

I got the frame including fork and seatpost for 550€ new from a LBS. Only issue was that it has one post mount and one flat mount disc caliper although thankfully they had left one on when stripping it - think it is the 2016 model. Also a neon yellow colour which wasn't my first choice but it will be my winter bike so I'll get over it. Also got the 3t components quite cheaply on CRC Trekker mentions above, Aksium wheels, cheap Ultegra derailleurs from Germany and a set of RS505 shifters new on a second hand side. Not going to be much over 1000€ for the full build - assuming I can get it done myself, probably shouldn't have gone hydraulic disc for a first build.

God, that'd be a bargain ultegra build for a grand.

There are two nice CAAD's on donedeal/adverts. A lovely dark green ultegra, and a (not as lovely) lime green dura ace build

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Borderfox wrote: »
    I bought a caad12 105 in February of this year and even with 8 weeks off the bike with a back injury the bottom bracket is creaking now. I was out on it on Sunday and it was 76km of creak. Nice bike though and goes plenty fast, will have to stick a rotor bb in if it's doesn't shut up

With regards the creaking, a small bit of loctite 609 or 641 around the outer race will fix that. Unless you've really cheap bearings the issue is the frame. Even with really cheap bearings the issue will most likely be the frame. The BB area is machined on one side first then flipped and machined on the other side leading to tolerance issues which in turn can lead to creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Well the space of a few days my plans have changed too lol. I've got myself an sram red 10 speed mini group set, and also bought a force 22 group set on eBay......bargains! Have all the finishing kit, don't have a sram crankset so using an ultegra crank or da 7800 crank. May have abandoned the caad or bowman too, bought a specialized e5 aerotec, old frame but in excellent nick. Will change the forks though. All fun and games lol. Also have a line on an old litespeed Sirius, so the caad frame price cash has gone on one, possibly two builds. I have a lot of stuff to get rid of though, so will be selling bits soon methinks!

Pic from last summer seems to be the only one I have, Should be able to get one or two tomorrow closer up

Thread and build revival! - Bowman have a winter sale on and a new frame model release, but it's disc only which I have no interest in. So I've ordered a Black/Jade frameset!

I'll start with the most important bits - matching bar tape :). Where did you get yours Crocked? It looks well.

I dunno if this thread has been left stagnant too long, that it's gone cold. But I'd appreciate a bit of stylistic input for my soon-to-be-new build.

So that plan, as I said day one, was to use a 10 speed Sram Red groupset from an older bike, because.... reasons. Lots of reasons. It's there, available to me, not being used, in perfect nick and it's the cheapest option. It's also a fabulous groupset to use and stupendously robust and reliable, and super-light. I love it.

I also have a choice of wheelsets to scavenge. Either mavic ksysrium SLS's or posher still exalith Ksyrium SLR's.

I have a saddle that'll do but I'll probably need bars and possibly stem. The predominant donor bike is my wife's old one so her handlebars are too narrow for me, but the stem might be alright.

First Question: - Would you stick carbon or aluminium bars on an aluminium build and what are the likely repercussions or compromises of either? Would I be right in saying carbon might be a bit more pliable. I'm presuming the Palace R frame to be fairly stiff and racy. Though any aluminium frame I've ever ridden was generally a nice compliant ride.

• Advertisement

Fab bikes, what size did you go for? My bro picked up a orange/teal frame back around black Friday.

Bars .. carbon will reduce some road buzz. I've alu on all my bikes, but maybe born from racing and worrying about potential cracks or delamination on carbon bars after any crashes.

Advertisement