Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wheel Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 10-01-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Looking for some advice thinking about upgrading my wheels, I have a Specialized Roubaix SL4 (disc brake) that is on the standard Alex rims that came with it. I <snip>, does anyone have any advice? The 3 I was looking at are below. I was ideally hoping to have change out of my €1,000 to spend on new helmet, shorts etc but wondering if it's worth it going the extra for the one of the two more expensive options. Any advice guys?

Mavic Ksyrium Pro Disc CL €699
    Giant SLR1 €1,100
    Zipp 302 carbon €1,200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Haven’t tried any of those 3 but had these of previous bike and thought they were very good.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/aero-light-disc-road-wheelset-1449g-28deep-22wide

Under €500 so leaves plenty of change for other gear

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

I have the SLRs and love them. I find them good for climbing, build quality is good and sound great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Haven't used any of those models either but depends what weight you are really.
    I know a few lads are having problems with giant wheels, I had myself in the past. Spokes keep breaking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

codie wrote: »
    I know a few lads are having problems with giant wheels
    are they too big for the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Out of those three, Mavic all the way for me for usability / reliability / durability and a heck of a saving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

fat bloke wrote: »
    Out of those three, Mavic all the way for me for usability / reliability / durability and a heck of a saving

some good deals on ebay,i bought these last week and im expecting them delivered on Monday,hopefully they turn out legit. The Mavic Ust system along with their tyres seems to be the best of the tubeless offerings.

I notice the same seller had a disc version for sale at the same price last week.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mavic-Cosmic-Carbon-Pro-UST-25-Wheelset-Brand-New-Ex-Display/292906082875?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had the Mavics and didn't like them, ended up buying Prime 38mm RR carbon disc wheels and love them. Had them on a Roubaix too

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭sann

Pi cycles in Mallow had the slr 1 on sale for 700 euro a few days ago. Check their Facebook page. Might be gone.
    I have a set and rate them above dura ace c25. Elites, and zondas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Hope five20.

Advertisement