Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

What are people's thoughts on this for a commuter? I've never ridden a road bike so the question is would this survive going up & down the small kerbs on the N11 cycle lane from Whites cross to Stephens green?

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/triban-100-road-bike-en-s145567.html

I'm currently riding an old mountain bike that's too small for me, but is perfect for the bumps. (Have an internal deal with myself to buy a better bike once I've paid for it with the bus fare I've saved)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I commute the n11 from loughlinstown to donnybrook. I don't think there's anything that bike wouldn't cope with tbh.

Tyre pressure is what you'd really have to watch I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I commute the n11 from loughlinstown to donnybrook. I don't think there's anything that bike wouldn't cope with tbh.

Tyre pressure is what you'd really have to watch I'd say.

Great! My main concern was buckling wheels on those kerbs between Teresians & Donnybrook bus station.

Great! My main concern was buckling wheels on those kerbs between Teresians & Donnybrook bus station.
    I turn just before there usually. Given the price tag, the wheels aren't going to be brilliant, but I'd imagine wouldn't be that bad.

fwiw the flat bar version is what I'll probably end up getting the missus, albeit for occasional use rather than commuting. When we were in France we did the obligatory Decathlon trip, and that bike was one of the things we looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It should be fine, I see far worse bikes surviving it. Just make sure they are fully pumped. I often go in the bus lane on that stretch if there are no buses around as it is way nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Well it looks like the insurance company will be coughing up the value of my bike. I've told them what I want along with my bike back and they seem to be pleased that they're getting out of it without any personal injury claims.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

New bike and spare components? Result to boot! (Still awful that it happened)

Weepsie wrote: »
    New bike and spare components? Result to boot! (Still awful that it happened)

All going well that seems to be the direction it's going. TBH it's heartbreaking knowing my bike is ruined so soon after completion and through the stupidity of a driver.

But once I'm sorted I won't LOOK back ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well it looks like the insurance company will be coughing up the value of my bike. I've told them what I want along with my bike back and they seem to be pleased that they're getting out of it without any personal injury claims.
    They are always quick to settle 'material damage' as it's peanuts to them in comparison to personal injuries. They will then ask you to sign a 'full and final settlement' document which absolves them of any further claims. This can be difficult where a personal injury manifests at a later date which can be attributed to the accident.

• Advertisement

They are always quick to settle 'material damage' as it's peanuts to them in comparison to personal injuries. They will then ask you to sign a 'full and final settlement' document which absolves them of any further claims. This can be difficult where a personal injury manifests at a later date which can be attributed to the accident.

Such documents are not worth the paper they are printed on, really just to put off people who don't fully understand. The time I was knocked, they paid out for my bike but only asked me to sign that I had received payment for the goods and that this was not an acceptance of liability on their part, which is worth more than the full and final settlement statement I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Repeat after me:

"You can't sign your rights away"

The only thing you need to worry about is your injuries board application being received within two years of the accident OR within two years of discovering the symptoms (trickier )

Repeat after me:

The only thing you need to worry about is your injuries board application being received within two years of the accident OR within two years of discovering the symptoms (trickier )

What about photos all over the place of me fighting in a cage? :o

What about photos all over the place of me fighting in a cage? :o

Considering the beating you got over in the US, I'd keep my head down if I were you.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Considering the beating you got over in the US, I'd keep my head down if I were you.

Well if I had his money I wouldn't be too worried about a cracked frame.

Actually, GCN have a review of his bike, it's seriously nice if a little blingy for me. Must ask him to go for a cycle next time I see him in the gym... although it's not good form to go talking to him when he's training

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

although it's not good form to go talking to him
    true, dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Got a PSV licence? No need to follow the rules of the road so!

About 6 minutes in, show that to some one in a car who complains about cyclists breaking red lights.

The After Hours thread on National Slow Down Day - why would we worry having to "share the road" with that load of nutters?

Meanwhile, red light jumping roadshow this morning on my commute on the N11. Not one bike, but four lights in a row I had green and had to wait as several cars carried on through their own red...

A friend who worked in a taxi call centre in town once pointed out that the lack of background checks as a taxi driver meant it was the perfect job for anyone who has been locked up. Now while those have served there time and have repayed their debt, you have to wonder is a job where they have no hierarchy, no social or societal pressures a good idea, and does it breed a mentality within that group. I suspect, it might have a small part to play with some drivers.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would have foreseen a driver doing donuts go on to cause such devastation, certainly no judge in the country would have thought that merited a jail sentence without a crystal ball on their bench.

But if you take a look back at his cases you'll see he's one of more severe when it comes to road traffic offences. Maybe it's a chicken and egg situation.

Don't want to drag the thread off topic, maybe a mod can move it to La Flamme Rouge? :)

My point is that the guy walked away without anything, no fine, no conviction, nothing. That, for me isn't good enough. It takes a certain kind of idiot to do rings on a main junction, it was clear this guy had no respect for the rules of the road.

I have seen him do mad things with speeding motorists, including sending them to prison - which were overturned on appeal so a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Speed ramp raises the ire of low-riding Limerick driver
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/342670/ive-got-stuck-on-top-of-it-speed-ramp-raises-the-ire-of-low-riding-limerick-driver.html
    My car won’t go over the speed ramp because I have a lowered car....I’m driving up on the footpath so I can get out over it. To cover my own back, I went to the local gardai just so they are not going to come around the bend some day and see me in the middle of the footpath.”

Oh that's fine. You cleared your dangerous driving with the Gardai. :pac:

What an absolute gibbon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lumen wrote: »
    Speed ramp raises the ire of low-riding Limerick driver
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/342670/ive-got-stuck-on-top-of-it-speed-ramp-raises-the-ire-of-low-riding-limerick-driver.html

Oh that's fine. You cleared your dangerous driving with the Gardai. :pac:

What an absolute gibbon.

Sweet suffering
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Fnewsfeed%2F000%2F175%2F315%2FPicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg%3F1316330080&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

That article makes my head hurt, was it written by a 12yr older?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don't want to drag the thread off topic, maybe a mod can move it to La Flamme Rouge? :)
    done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The After Hours thread on National Slow Down Day - why would we worry having to "share the road" with that load of nutters?

I was quite amused to overhear my daughters playing with their Barbie dolls and car, and announcing it was International Drive Alone Day.

They're too young to know that every day is International Drive Alone Day.

done!

Took your time.

:pac:

The best thing about that young lad is that the car will quite clearly go over the speed ramp fine, only he for some reason believes you have to accelerate to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The best thing about that young lad is that the car will quite clearly go over the speed ramp fine, only he for some reason believes you have to accelerate to clear it.

golden-gun-jump.jpg?imwidth=450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It would help though, as the acceleration decompresses the front suspension. If there's any of that left.

Chav.

Advertisement