Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    Dunno bout you but I'd take a door over the wheels of an 8 tonne bus.
    i did miss that bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Etc wrote: »
    I don't engage with anyone. I let people come around me, if someone is on my shoulder I freewheel and let them pass. If cars or bus's are closing in I hit the brakes and let them sail on.

I leave 15 mins early every morning and that way commuting isn't stressful.

Yeah I think I'm just letting this **** get to me to be honest. I had to leave the bike in work tonight to go to an appointment, so it'll be bus in tomorrow. That should snap me back into "I love cycling" mode pretty quick I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Danbo! wrote: »
    Warning. A rambling rant.

I've found maybe since January that my commute is just getting more stressful. Maybe its just me, maybe an increase in traffic, but things seem more tense. I've been cycling almost the same route for 13 odd years and just by looking at my own posts in this thread, including getting hit by a van driven by an imbecile, I can see things are worse. I left the house this morning and realised I was already preemptively stressed, when a neighbour gave me a big cheery hello and I thought, screw this, I'm going to enjoy my cycle again. I'll just ignore all the **** I see and just do my best to get to work. It didn't last long.

I've always been tempted to say something to an RLJ, but don't want get all CycleDub on it so easier to leave it, and let idiots be idiots.

This morning though, of all mornings with my attempted positivity, I was tapped on the shoulder while waiting at a light and as I turn around, a guy on bike is pushing his way past me. I made the mistake of saying "ah come on man, it's a red light" to which he replied a long list of expletives while cycling into the junction. Caught up to him, proving it didn't save home much time, and got a tirade of abuse as I passed, all the way from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. I (again, stupidly) said there's no need to be so aggressive, and he then invited me to fight him. He actually pulled onto the path and got off his bike. He was about 35 for Christs sake.

I dunno. I give up.

You're lucky he tapped you on the shoulder. I witnessed a guy plough through 4 cyclists waiting at a red light. He clipped one of them and ended falling in front of a car. Thankfully, one of the cyclists pulled him up pronto and made sure he was ok. I don't get people taking risks in wet weather.

As for cycledub, I could have sworn I saw him run a red light the other day lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

josip wrote: »
    Would it have been a case of 'pulling out in front of a bus'?
    The cyclist in front has done a life saver beforehand, would appear to have decided that the bus didn't pose a risk and given enough room to avoid the opening door.

I wasn't there so I'm only going by what I can see in the footage.

Can you see the bus mirror in the top right corner of the video appear before the cyclist has passed the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Hard to be certain, but that almost seems deliberate - as if he saw you before he opened the door, and went ahead anyway.

That's what I thought, he could definitely see me, he passed both of us on the hill going down Parnell square sure. When I stopped and asked him what he was doing he told me to "go take a tablet" I said first of all its illegal to park like on the foothpath , and second its extremely dangerous to open the door like that.

The bus was coming along side, I really did not expect him to open the door like that when he kept it only slightly open for the first cyclist. :(
    josip wrote: »
    Would it have been a case of 'pulling out in front of a bus'?
    The cyclist in front has done a life saver beforehand, would appear to have decided that the bus didn't pose a risk and given enough room to avoid the opening door.

I wasn't there so I'm only going by what I can see in the footage.

The first guy looked behind him about 4seconds into the clip, before the taxi had even pulled onto the curb. The bus was a bit back at this point, but coming up to us at speed, it also passed quite close, the camera I have is a 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens things happening at either side appear in the video further than the actually were at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

papu wrote: »
    That's what I thought, he could definitely see me, he passed both of us on the hill going down Parnell square sure. When I stopped and asked him what he was doing he told me to "go take a tablet" I said first of all its illegal to park like on the foothpath , and second its extremely dangerous to open the door like that.

The bus was coming along side, I really did not expect him to open the door like that when he kept it only slightly open for the first cyclist. :(

The first guy looked behind him about 4seconds into the clip, before the taxi had even pulled onto the curb. The bus was a bit back at this point, but coming up to us at speed, it also passed quite close, the camera I have is a 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens things happening at either side appear in the video further than the actually were at the time.

Why don't you post the follow-up conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've found maybe since January that my commute is just getting more stressful. Maybe its just me, maybe an increase in traffic, but things seem more tense. I've been cycling almost the same route for 13 odd years and just by looking at my own posts in this thread, including getting hit by a van driven by an imbecile, I can see things are worse. I left the house this morning and realised I was already preemptively stressed, when a neighbour gave me a big cheery hello and I thought, screw this, I'm going to enjoy my cycle again. I'll just ignore all the **** I see and just do my best to get to work. It didn't last long.

I've always been tempted to say something to an RLJ, but don't want get all CycleDub on it so easier to leave it, and let idiots be idiots.

This morning though, of all mornings with my attempted positivity, I was tapped on the shoulder while waiting at a light and as I turn around, a guy on bike is pushing his way past me. I made the mistake of saying "ah come on man, it's a red light" to which he replied a long list of expletives while cycling into the junction. Caught up to him, proving it didn't save home much time, and got a tirade of abuse as I passed, all the way from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. I (again, stupidly) said there's no need to be so aggressive, and he then invited me to fight him. He actually pulled onto the path and got off his bike. He was about 35 for Christs sake.

I dunno. I give up.

Idiots use many forms of transport. Don't let that heart attack about to happen stress you too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yeah I think I'm just letting this **** get to me to be honest. I had to leave the bike in work tonight to go to an appointment, so it'll be bus in tomorrow. That should snap me back into "I love cycling" mode pretty quick I hope.

How was the bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    you cant see anyone from the side mirror when its slightly opened as you probably know.

It looked like he had a neck to me, he should give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

coming down Leeson st this morning outside the Sugar club a French registered campervan overtook me then cut right across my path. i'd to jump on the brakes to avoid being clipped.

as he accelerated ahead i saw he had 2 bikes mounted on the back of the camper. i hope irish drivers are far more courteous to him than he was to me.

have logged this on the collision / near miss tracker, that section of roadway is horrible for cyclists.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    How was the bus?

Much quicker than usual, but still took longer than cycling, pined for the bike the whole way in :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

secondary schools and colleges are off, so traffic *is* lighter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

secondary schools and colleges are off, so traffic *is* lighter.

My partners commute via car is down from between 1hr/1.5hr, to 30minutes. She had nearly started biking it a month ago but waited it out. My commute is still 40minutes, our commutes are nearly identical. I wonder how long into September before the complaining starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I dunno. I give up.

The commute for me is meh, in that the traffic is so clogged (Castleknock to Merrion Square), that there's rarely an opportunity for real danger to occur in terms of close passing - at least that can't be addressed by some defensive cycling and anticipation. I've learned my pinch spots and how to deal with impatient drivers. I;ve pretty much learned to ignore a$$hats.

In saying that, overtaking and cutting left is still common with drivers that, given a bit of road, are pent up and decide to gun it. The trip home along the Guinness brewery and park gate street similarly is not my most favourite stretch.

It's the open road on Sunday spins that's starting to concern me - in group of 6 or 8 which typical for me on a Sunday spin, there's crazy overtaking no matter what road your're on. Its definitely seems to be getting worse.

On my own, I feel increasingly more vulnerable, even with a rear strobe to warn oncoming cars behind me, it seems to have little difference - the road from Ratoath to the old N3 at Pace was crazy last Sunday. To the extend that I cycled mid-lane at one point to prevent further crazy overtakes - not ideal on a busy road, and although it's an 80 kph limit, cars regularly pass at 100 kph plus, a lot higher in some cases. I've seen cars nearly lose control overtaking at these speeds, or not anticipating a car pulling out from a side road in front of them.

Some really irresponsible and inconsiderate overtaking on that road last -
    - a lot of whom were of these heading to the market oat Fairyhouse or else probably to Blanch to do a bit of shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The commute for me is meh, in that the traffic is so clogged (Castleknock to Merrion Square), that there's rarely an opportunity for real danger to occur in terms of close passing - at least that can't be addressed by some defensive cycling and anticipation. I've learned my pinch spots and how to deal with impatient drivers. I;ve pretty much learned to ignore a$$hats.

In saying that, overtaking and cutting left is still common with drivers that, given a bit of road, are pent up and decide to gun it. The trip home along the Guinness brewery and park gate street similarly is not my most favourite stretch.
    I've a similar commute (Coolmine to Harcourt Street), and I've taken to using an alternative route on the way home, though that was in response to a rash of punctures rather than driver behaviour! Specifically I'll head around SCR, cross the Liffey at Islandbridge, and enter the park via either the Parkgate Street gate, or the Chapelizod gate, depending on my humour. While I was content to deal with the traffic on the quays for the most part (primarily by trying to match their speed - hitting 40km/h in front of Guinnesses is good training!), this is a bit more relaxed, and not particularly slower either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

coming down Leeson st this morning outside the Sugar club a French registered campervan overtook me then cut right across my path. i'd to jump on the brakes to avoid being clipped.

as he accelerated ahead i saw he had 2 bikes mounted on the back of the camper. i hope irish drivers are far more courteous to him than he was to me.

have logged this on the collision / near miss tracker, that section of roadway is horrible for cyclists.

That's is due to the lanes narrowing at that point. It is a terrible section. Should fight for better lane painting as they don't know or care what lane they are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

After lesson St bridge heading towards donnybrook, behind a cyclist who got clipped on the elbow by the side mirror.

Female driver kept going. No chance of her stopping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I got hit this morning. Or rather had a collision. Traffic was at a standstill but I had a green light so I kept going. Car was turning right and no matter how hard I braked I couldn't stop. Hit him side on. Arm went through the window. Helmet dented his door and I took a few knocks.

He tried to drive away and refused to give me his details so I called the gardai. They arrived and were very helpful. They called an ambulance for me as I had a nasty gash on my arm. And they kept my (now mangled) bike.

Needed X-ray to rule out neck injury and to rule out a fractured arm. Came back clear so just needed some stitches. But I'm in agony now that the adrenaline has worn off. Every part of me aches.

I'm so lucky that I was wearing a helmet. I'm marked on my head but it's okay, but I wouldn't like to think what would happen if I had no helmet on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Keep receipts. Get insurance details for your man from the Gardai.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I got hit this morning. Or rather had a collision. Traffic was at a standstill but I had a green light so I kept going. Car was turning right and no matter how hard I braked I couldn't stop. Hit him side on. Arm went through the window. Helmet dented his door and I took a few knocks.

He tried to drive away and refused to give me his details so I called the gardai. They arrived and were very helpful. They called an ambulance for me as I had a nasty gash on my arm. And they kept my (now mangled) bike.

Needed X-ray to rule out neck injury and to rule out a fractured arm. Came back clear so just needed some stitches. But I'm in agony now that the adrenaline has worn off. Every part of me aches.

I'm so lucky that I was wearing a helmet. I'm marked on my head but it's okay, but I wouldn't like to think what would happen if I had no helmet on.

jesus, where did this happen?

leaving the scene of an incident and refusing to provide details are offences afaik.

edit...did he admit liability?

• Advertisement

Glad you didnt fare worse, sounds nasty
    He tried to drive away and refused to give me his details...

Christ :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

jesus, where did this happen?

leaving the scene of an incident and refusing to provide details are offences afaik.

edit...did he admit liability?

Nope. He said I was in the wrong. I had a green light but the traffic was stopped because of traffic so he went and didn't see me. He blamed me.

The gardai took all the details anyway and I'll ring them tomorrow to get them from them.

Happened on gardiner street.

Oh and a girl saw the whole thing and gave me her number as a witness, she couldn't stay but the gardai took her details.

probably not at the forefront of your mind right now but would you consider logging on the collision tracker at Dublin Inquirer?

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

hope you recover quickly, that sounds like a horrible shock (and injuries obviously) to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Nope. He said I was in the wrong. I had a green light but the traffic was stopped because of traffic so he went and didn't see me. He blamed me.

The gardai took all the details anyway and I'll ring them tomorrow to get them from them.

Happened on gardiner street.

Oh and a girl saw the whole thing and gave me her number as a witness, she couldn't stay but the gardai took her details.

It's bad enough for him to try drive off and leave you injured but then to blame it on you....boils my blood. Make sure charges are brought against him, and get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ffs
    (8) A driver approaching a road junction and intending to turn right at the junction shall yield the right of way to a vehicle approaching on the same road from the opposite direction and intending to proceed straight through the junction.

But attempting to leave the scene of an accident :mad:

This really worries me. Had the same experience. It's not inconsiderate driving, but just ignorance to the ROTR. They're convinced they're right and I'm not sure how you can ever get through to these people. Sure people make mistakes all the time and maybe hold their hands up, there's a lot of ignorance out there. RSA campaigns and ads etc probably don't grab their attention as they think they're right.

Sometimes I worry if I am doing something wrong but I'm convinced im right too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah this is pretty common on my commute, happened earlier this week but expected it so had slowed down.

I definitely think in the last couple of months i've encountered a large increase in motorists:

- Not paying attention
    -Not following the rules of the road
    - just not giving a ****

They're convinced they're right and I'm not sure how you can ever get through to these people.
    A conviction or two would fix that for this chap, but that's work for the Gardai and they're not fans of that kind of thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a more positive note (there is a close pass int he story), I was heading out the N4 yesterday, one of those roads that everyone says is actually a motorway in all but name. Using the bus lane, had a BE bus behind me, waited patiently and when the road widened slightly I pulled in and let him pass. The next BE behind me aslo waited patiently, when I was sure ti was safe, I merged over into the traffic lane which was at a crawl and waved him through. Every bus and every taxi driver gave me huge room without much stress, it was lovely.

One of those fertility trucks though decided at the Lucan turn off that despite only being 10m off the car in front, they should skim me (and I mean if my handlebars had not moved over the kerb, I would have been sitting in her passenger seat). They got caught at the turn off, I didn't even bother giving out. I had that feeling that it would be comparable to standing in front of a brick wall and shouting, might feel good for a minute but then you realise the futility and you just feel stupid.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    fertility trucks
    :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement