Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    100rpm, that's impressive.

I switched to 11/25 and as a consequencey cadence has dropped but each time I try the 11 28 again I suffer from cramps, during & after a spin.
    Same here, and I used to be a grinder for many years but have found since talking to people more knowledgeable than me that you have to spin it to win it, if your cadence is dropping then the gearing is to high. In sprints etc. that is fine, or making a break but you will burn off alot of the immediately available energy and are more likely to blow up IMO. Get used to a higher cadence at a lower gear (same overall speed) and I would be pretty sure you will see improvements. I say this knowing you are a faster and stronger racer than me.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Shorter cranks maybe?
    I went to 165mm and seen an instant reduction in issues. The jury is very out on it but my opinion would be down to a certain length (162.5 or 165mm), almost everyone should be fine but everyone has a max. Everyone kept saying I should be 175mm but I use 165mm and find spins in the same gearing on a bike with 175mm to be energy sapping.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm fairly sure Chris Boardman was going on about shorter cranks becoming standard a few years ago. I've 172.5 on most, but 175 on one, but I've bot cycled it in a long time and 175 to go onto a touring bike so I'll never really be in a top gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Anyone know what the lowest standard shimano crankset that would have crank compatibility with ultegra/ 105 cranks? Tiagra 4700 does, but does the most recent Sora?

Not planning on doing it generally on the commute, but now I have a crank based power meter, I'd like the option of putting it on as that is the bike that comes on holiday. It's currently 9 speed, so a new BB/ crankset looks like the cheapest option. Struggling to justify a full Tiagra groupset, and it's an old enough frame (even though I really like it!). It'd be mainly for commuting, possible used to try cross in the Autumn and a few gravel/ fireroad spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

I can't quite tell if my pads are 52 or 55mm from the outside

Is it the length of the rubber insert from end to end?
    Thanks

Mikenesson wrote: »
    I can't quite tell if my pads are 52 or 55mm from the outside

Is it the length of the rubber insert from end to end?
    Thanks

Yep, rubber insert length but remember, if your still not sure, you can trim down a 55 to 52, not the other way around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yep, rubber insert length but remember, if your still not sure, you can trim down a 55 to 52, not the other way around

Are the shinano pads all the same design?

The ones I'm looking at seem to be the right ones, a slight taper on the width and a screw holding it

Mikenesson wrote: »
    Are the shinano pads all the same design?

The ones I'm looking at seem to be the right ones, a slight taper on the width and a screw holding it

If they are road brakes, then yes AFAIK but maybe wait until someone else confirms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Can anyone advise on the best way to clean a rusted chain and gears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

Guffy wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on the best way to clean a rusted chain and gears?

Clean? Replace.

A weak phosphoric acid solution will remove the rust and passivate the surface against further oxidation. Loads of DIY places sell it near the hammerite, rust gone or the like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how badly rusted? and what will the bike be used for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

how badly rusted? and what will the bike be used for?

Jist to and from work, bout an 8k cycle each way. I think it's at the borderline between save and replace.

The cassette and chainrings rusted too and is it just rust or have you oily crud build up on there too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not really a bike maintenance question - but nearly every time i connect my (cheapo) garmin to my phone via bluetooth, my phone informs me that there's a software update available for it, but it's fully up to date. garmin express lists a bunch of language updates, none of which i need. anyone else having this problem?

Well my connect app has been telling me "update available" for my 920xt several times a week recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Same with my Garmin, I've no idea what garmin I have though, 500 I think. Every time I plug it in there's updates

Winter bike has a medium shimano cage which I run 11-32, the other a short cage with which I run 11-28. On the direct drive turbo, I currently use the winter bike, so it has an 11-32.

If I swap that for 11-28, should I be ok using either bike without any adjustments? i.e. can I just mount and ride the bike that's set up for 11-32 on the road without issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

You can throw the 11-28 on the bike with the medium cage but would need to swap the chain also. The gearing shouldn't need any adjustments but id put the chain on the big cog at the back and unscrew the b-screw a bit so its spaced a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

You can throw the 11-28 on the bike with the medium cage but would need to swap the chain also. The gearing shouldn't need any adjustments but id put the chain on the big cog at the back and unscrew the b-screw a bit so its spaced a bit better

Shouldn't need to change the chain unless there's a difference in wear between the cassettes - the smallest and largest sprockets in 11-28 are within the range of 11-32 (i.e. on 11-32 before you hit the lowest you may be in 11-28 depending on the cassette progression), so the latter chain can work with the same derailleur setup. It will just mean the rear mech never extends as much as it might on 11-32. As you say the b-screw may need some tuning, but that's minor enough.

Thanks, I'm not going to bother now I've thought on it. It was to allow for a crank power meter swapping between bikes*, but that's actually more hassle than putting the 11-28 on the turbo and just taking the good bike on and off for the summer, and then doing the same in the winter with the winter bike! I was just being a bit dumb when I had the thought.

*even though it is handy, on reflection I think a seasonal swap is better all around than trying to do it weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

cython wrote:
    Shouldn't need to change the chain unless there's a difference in wear between the cassettes - the smallest and largest sprockets in 11-28 are within the range of 11-32 (i.e. on 11-32 before you hit the lowest you may be in 11-28 depending on the cassette progression), so the latter chain can work with the same derailleur setup. It will just mean the rear mech never extends as much as it might on 11-32. As you say the b-screw may need some tuning, but that's minor enough.

You learn somthing new everyday :). Them few extra links would save a few gram though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I got a new phone lately. Huawei P20. It doesn't seem to stay connected to my Garmin 520 at all. I have to pair and unpair it to get it to upload. I usually have to do it a few times before it joins up.

Anyone else have problems with something like this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got a new phone lately. Huawei P20. It doesn't seem to stay connected to my Garmin 520 at all. I have to pair and unpair it to get it to upload. I usually have to do it a few times before it joins up.

Anyone else have problems with something like this?

Usual answer is to factory reset the Garmin unit and start again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Turn off the phone and pair again. It's not enough to turn off bluetooth and have it back again. Happens with the 1030 and my phone sometimes. Turning the phone off and then on sees it pair.

Can't recall if I asked this before but now that I'm off the bike for a few weeks I've time to sit and look at them and get things done like see to the run around bike and get it all nice and shiny again in it's twilight years.

It's got some badly tattered shimano/brand decals on the chainstays and some other places but paint work is fine over all. I'm of a mind to removes those altogether but how some parts will just peel away but the rest is still stuck on fast? Thinking hair dryer and and something plastic that wont chip the paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

Hair dryer and WD-40 works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

My rear gears are slipping under load. I bought the bike in May and have been only been doing easy road riding - my research suggests this is fairly normal for new bikes after cables stretch.

The shop where I bought the bike is looking for 40-60 euro to inspect/adjust/repair. The bike had its first inspection about 2 weeks ago and they charged me half price; 20 euro because it was the first inspection. I have not done much riding in the last 2 weeks. I'm new to bikes but I reckon they should've picked up on this. I think it's really bad form on their part.

Is there anything I can do myself, straightforwardly, or should I look for a new bike shop? I don't have a problem spending money, but if I'm going to pay I expect a thorough check and not someone to grease my seatpost and tighten my breaks for 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My rear gears are slipping under load. I bought the bike in May and have been only been doing easy road riding - my research suggests this is fairly normal for new bikes after cables stretch.

The shop where I bought the bike is looking for 40-60 euro to inspect/adjust/repair. The bike had its first inspection about 2 weeks ago and they charged me half price; 20 euro because it was the first inspection. I have not done much riding in the last 2 weeks. I'm new to bikes but I reckon they should've picked up on this. I think it's really bad form on their part.

Is there anything I can do myself, straightforwardly, or should I look for a new bike shop? I don't have a problem spending money, but if I'm going to pay I expect a thorough check and not someone to grease my seatpost and tighten my breaks for 40 euro.
    Was it a 2nd hand bike you bought? Surprised that the shop charged you for the first service.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Was it a 2nd hand bike you bought? Surprised that the shop charged you for the first service.

I bought it new. I know 1000euro isn't a lot in the world of bikes but I thought they would've thrown in a free service for that amount of money, or at least picked up on the slipping gears after charging me. Surely someone experienced would've sussed it? Maybe I'm being harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah that's very poor service from the shop.

Sounds like your gears just need to be adjusted..Watch this video..itll show you how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbk5RcH0bbQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yeah that's very poor service from the shop.

That's piss poor service every bike shop I know always gets the new owner to come back after a 1-200km to do a check over on the bike with no charge.

I wouldn't be going back there OP and I'd be inclined to go back tell them they're a right shower.

As said the gears probably just need to be indexed correctly. You may get away with just using the barrel adjuster.

Advertisement