Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Howth or hills was the question today. Figured both would be jammed but howth worse so headed other direction.

Up stocking lane to viewing point. Across to glencullen and home through stepaside.

I smashed my time up to the viewing point, or at least the boards hill tt time as I paused it when I got up a bit too soon.

Hills were fairly quiet too

Took a kom I didn't know existed too near home.

50km with 600metres in 2 hours

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/qwjGqtvhl7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Rode a rough outline of Co Dublin today (with a few minor incursions into Meath, Kildare and Wicklow). 231k with about 2,000m climbing. Was soaked to the skin for several hours and the wind was a killer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3599809528

I see some other people had the same idea.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/club-cyclists-map-200km-dublin-border-lock-down-ride-on-strava/

Reminder to self: read previous posts before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Perfect day for a spin, so got out for my longest spin of the year.

101km, 765m up, 29.4 km/h ave. Hadnt planned any particular route so ended up all over the place, Manor Kilbride, Blessington, Enniskerry, Dun Laoghaire & home through UCD.

Brought me over the 2000km mark for the year, less than I'd like but I'm blaming Covid on that...

Punctured about 1km from home, my 2 week old Gp5000 is a write off sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

did the Kildare 200 today (Daniel O Sullivans route), was invited to do it on Sat but hadn't the legs and the morning weather looked grim(i've become a very fair weather cyclist of late).

anyway its a great route staying within Kildare with quiet roads especially in the northern half, glorious weather (so that suited me). stopped in Rathangan for a banana and bar and lunched! in Castledermot at the top garage. while there i could see the blue/black thunder clouds in the north where i was heading (kilcullen), got going ..a bit of rain (too muggy for a rain jacket) but the road was very wet so i missed the worst i think. a largely flat route but with a sting in the tail with lumpy drags after Kilcullen back to leixlip. traveled light with just 1 water bottle and a tool bottle plus 1 spare tube (trying to divest myself of my Audax anxieties...oh i'll just bring an extra kitchen sink in case...blah blah :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Eamonnator wrote: »

Not the same as WA's epic ride as it didn't include Howth (despite the Stickybottle graphic) or Donabate/Portrane. When doing the southern half on Sunday, I saw plenty of other cyclists checking directions at remote corners so I suspect it has become a target ride for quite a few others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Today was just one of those days for all the right reasons. Heading out of the estate at mid-day, I still hadn't worked out exactly where I was going. So I just followed the handlebars from Swords to Capel st bridge, turned right to Kilmainham, up Knockmaroon Hill, Castleknock, to Kilbride, Garristown, Ballyboughal, & back to Swords for a total of 82km. I didn't cycle to work tonight!!! Fantastic day , weather wise, more of the same please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did the howth hill TT on saturday having not eaten properly for about eight hours, recorded my slowest time i've done up it. went up again today and did it again (again on my second lap of howth) and got to the top feeling much fresher, thinking i'd done a lot better.

got home and discovered *why* i was feeling much fresher. 30 seconds slower again. to be fair, there was a south easterly so headwinds most of the way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Nice quiet spin around NCD, or so I thought. Twice some bellend coming out of a side road or driveway stopped, saw me, hesitated, waited for me to get closer and then thought “ah it’s only a bike” and pulled out anyway. The second time was near Gormanstown and I was travelling, and so it was quite a close call.
    Another few close passes as well as another old dear who gave me plenty of room but nearly ploughed head on into oncoming traffic. Good to see driving back to normal!!!

On a better note, I passed my half yearly goal. 5100km done and 4900 left to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... or Donabate/Portmarnock....
    Donabate/Portrane! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Did the northern half of my Dublin Boundary route today. After a late start waiting for the grey skies to lift, I headed down to Fairview and then followed the coast as closley as possible as far as far as Broadmeadows. I chanced going along the tidal north side of the estuary even though the potholes and seaweed were pretty bad but the second section to Kilcrea was just impossible and I turned inland. The cliff path between Donabate Beach and Portrane was fine despite various warning signs about subsidence and, after a mercifully short section of the R132, I turned down to Rogerstown before exploring Rush. From there to Skerries and Balbriggan was straightforward and by the time I got to Balbriggan Harbour, the sun had come out.

On the way to Naul I briefly ventured into County Meath as the Happy Valley road by the Delvin River is one of my favourites especially at this time of the year. On the R122 I spotted a Boardsie approaching and WA (for it was he!) turned back to Naul with me for a coffee and chat. Onwards to Garristown and roads I thought I was familiar with but, when you are trying to stay within a very meandering border, it's easy to get confused. The Garmin kept wanting me to do U-turns but I just stuck to the purple line and eventually arrived at my turn-off point near Westmanstown. The remaining 14k home through Luttrellstown, Porterstown and the Park were as pleasant as ever.

Sunday's southern circuit and today's northern one were intended as training for the full 230k ride around the County bounds. Based on how I'm feeling after 156k, I think a lot more training is required before I take that on. Serious kudos to those who are managing it now (provided they haven't been secretly clocking up big rides over the last few months) :rolleyes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3624646509/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out yesterday evening in what appeared lovely weather, halfway up the embankment, the heavens opened and stayed open out to blessington and back , re invented the spin and turned over the bridge and left towards manor Kilbride, but turned at ballysmutten and eventually in to manor Kilbride , Lisheen and back down embankment, didn't pedal at all on descent as water was cascading on the road and the lower end has been beautifully resurfaced with lovely shiney new tarmac and looked lethal with water sitting on the fresh oily surface.
    51km 430m up avg 25kph and way heavier than when i went out :)

Wanted to call over to see my parents distantly so did that and then embarked on a bit of a detour to take what's a 30km round trip into a 100km around the back roads of north west Dublin.

Roads were grimey, but it was great fun altogether.

Hadn't managed a 100km since March so good to see one done. Might go for a longer one and slow it down a bit

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/8NKTUs2Eo7

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wandered around N. Kildare this evening taking in nearly 80km. The weather was lovely - warm and not too breezy.
    Quite happy with my speed @ 30.8km/h but Kildare Co Co have resurfaced a load of roads which I reckon cycling on loose chippings pulled my times down.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/VT5FXuLQo7

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Nice wee 50km out to glenveagh castle and back, was tired all day but this got me energised.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/4xjAzEGCp7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I know I've said this before but it's always at the back of my mind when setting out, "the next time my parents and partner or my sister sees me, will I be on a spinal board or in a body bag".

I've had a lot of close passes on R roads where I live where the speed limit is 60 km/h but people drive at speeds approaching 100 and skim by with millimetres to spare.

It's not fair to be treated like a second class road user. I started a thread asking people to be considerate in the motors forum and I was lambasted and my thread got closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I know I've said this before but it's always at the back of my mind when setting out, "the next time my parents and partner or my sister sees me, will I be on a spinal board or in a body bag".

I've had a lot of close passes on R roads where I live where the speed limit is 60 km/h but people drive at speeds approaching 100 and skim by with millimetres to spare.

It's not fair to be treated like a second class road user. I started a thread asking people to be considerate in the motors forum and I was lambasted and my thread got closed.

Spinal Board and Body Bag; two great bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Foggy one out there today - Howth Head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Omega28 wrote: »

Don't see many bikes the same as mine around :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Omega28 wrote: »

Yep. Pretty spooky up at the Hellfire this morning, particularly coming across a bunch of runners coming out of the shadows on the descent. Regretted not having the front light. Finished this months Strava 7.5k climbing challenge with time to spare so hopefully make it past 10k again.

516925.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

smacl wrote: »
    Yep. Pretty spooky up at the Hellfire this morning, particularly coming across a bunch of runners coming out of the shadows on the descent. Regretted not having the front light. Finished this months Strava 7.5k climbing challenge with time to spare so hopefully make it past 10k again.

516925.jpg

Was up there 2 days ago. Got a puncture on the way back down and my mini pump broke after putting a new tube in. Had to walk back to tallaght from the hellfire with a punctured bike.

• Advertisement

I hope you had spds or flats. I once had a 6 km walk home and ended up taking my shoes off. I looked very strange when I popped into the local shop to buy myself a consolation scone.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I hope you had spds or flats. I once had a 6 km walk home and ended up taking my shoes off. I looked very strange when I popped into the local shop to buy myself a consolation scone.

I had spd but I have an l5 prolapsed disc in my back.
    So walking down at an angel pushing a punctured bike all the way home was very painful. Set off my siactica nerve and everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ouch. you had no one available for the call of shame?

Do not buy Aldi mini pumps. They are dirt.

ouch. you had no one available for the call of shame?

No, she was with the kids looking after her granny with Alzheimer's. There was no one else around. 3 cyclists went by me and not one of them had a pump. I bought an expensive good quality mini pump the following day in penny farthing. I have a tube in a tubeless tyre and cycled 45klm today on it not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

"3 cyclists went by me and not one of them had a pump"

:eek: How can people go on a cycle without a pump/CO2!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

sy wrote: »

Because it hasn't happened to them, YET.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Speaking of walks of shame - I went for a spin today to test out my new absolute black inner chain ring (side note, its great, really feels fabulous, like having an extra gear), when as a side effect of not putting my crank back on properly, it fell off.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3637711060

Luckily I was pretty close to home so it was a fairly short walk of shame but shame none the less.

Last bit before home is about 10% gradient so that wasn't great in the cleats but sure win some lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

sy wrote: »

I know! I went for an 80k spin up to Sally Gap last week and about 20 k in I realized I’d forgotten my pump. It was a very anxious cycle from then on I can tell you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

119km Waterford greenway both ways (started from Tramore) It's been on the bucket list for ages and I took advantage of having the day off to get out early. I was going to take the go-faster bike, but weather was meh when setting off so went on the Croix de Fer which was a good choice as it has a) mudguards :-), b) a bell - not so much for the way out, but it was a bit busier on the way back, and c) doesn't have a K****yum back wheel that won't stay true and threatens to collapse every time it takes to the road. Average speed of 23.6km/h which was comfortable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement