Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bike: Standing height
    Horse: Twice standing height?

Your distance to fall is what matters unless you hit something like a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ED E wrote: »
    Bike: Standing height
    Horse: Twice standing height?

Your distance to fall is what matters unless you hit something like a wall.

Also, bikes mostly lowside whereas horses tend to highside except when felled by musket fire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yep you're up much higher, hence I was wondering what the mechanism is for the cycling one to inflate.
    You can fall off a house any number of ways. I can't remember falling off backwards, I had more of a talent for heading out the side door: D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once saw my wife ejected off the front of a horse. i think it's what they call a dirty stop - brakes went full on and the horse dropped his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

nee wrote: »
    I wonder what the mechanism for inflation is on the bike version?

More than likely an accelerometer picking up the sudden jerk or movement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

expect a rush of people heading out to try to claim the KOM/QOM:

World’s steepest street: Welsh town challenges New Zealand for Guinness World Record
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/10/worlds-steepest-street-welsh-town-challenges-new-zealand-for-guinness-world-record

36% gradient :eek:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and then ouch on the way back up lol.

EDIT: They say it takes 10 minutes to walk up it , 350 meters. Or 7 if you're a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And I thought St. Patricks Hill was steep - apparently only 23% gradient!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

expect a rush of people heading out to try to claim the KOM/QOM:...
    The current KOM holder averaged 16.9km/h on it! :eek::eek:

(2 Boardsies on the list :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

saw the weirdest contraption the other day, guy on a stand up tricycle , 2 tiny back wheels and a front wheel about half the size of a standard bike wheel, may have had a chain, not 100% sure but had pedals. guessing exercise as opposed to getting from a to b. what was it and why?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

there was an electric scooter locked in the bike cage in work today. that's a first for our building.

Are the electric scooters considered a scourge in the US? I recall a recent episode of South Park featuring them and it seemed like it was the case.

there's been a change to the traffic lights on a junction near me, and i suspect it's specific to that junction, but i wonder if it's something which DCC are going to do to more junctions.

it's where ballymun road and glasnevin avenue/collins avenue meet; for example, if you were heading north on ballymun road, you would be faced with this (old image):
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.388883,-6.2650032,3a,73.7y,12.53h,89.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFp3aU_tAlhbFfJiKOhIKwQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

however, now the general green light has been replaced with a straight on only green light. it will piss off some motorists no doubt, as you now cannot (well should not) take a right until you get the explicit right turn signal, whereas before you could take a right on the general green, if the oncoming lanes were clear. there have been a few crashes at that junction, i suspect caused when people queuing to take the right from both directions had their line of sight blocked by the cars in the opposite queue - but went for it anyway.
    will be interesting to see if a similar change is made elsewhere, i can think of a couple of junctions that would benefit cyclists if this was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

The first few days caused a lot of traffic backup for those waiting on the filter, but they obviously adjusted them to leave the filter on longer to reduce queueing times.

They also seem to have made adjustments to the length of green time going west to east onto collins avenue,which has made a big difference in time spent queueing to cross ballymun road.

Its a nightmare of a junction whichever way you take it, for cars breaking red lights. Often see 3/4/5 cars break the light only to sit in traffic or block the junction.

they had originally been planning to run the metro at road level through that junction. the current plan is for it to be tunnelled there. 'current' used advisedly. as is the word 'plan'.

Ciara Kelly (Newstalk) discussing the blocking of cycle lanes in Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly (Newstalk) discussing the blocking of cycle lanes in Dublin now

Anything interesting?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Baldwin street just doesn't look that bad to me, the Dying Cow looks worse.

Tempted to go for the Harlech one the next time I am in Wales, just to see. I remember a few 30% climbs the last time I was in Scotland and they slow you down, I am certain there are one or two more than 35% as one you cold not even sit on the bike as you simply flip backwards, walking was difficult.

Anything interesting?

Surprisingly only one call from a delivery driver! But lots of VRU's and tweets from cyclists/pedestrians and Ciaran Ferrie

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/cosaingalway/status/1084031452403195904

will be interesting to see what the story behind this is.

There needs to be a serious discussion had about red lights in this country for all road users, but especially cars etc. it's far to common to see what was in that video at junctions up and down the country every day.

Cameras are the only way to go imo. The only way to change peoples behaviour is if they think there is a risk of being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'm doing a poster for a charity cycle and want to include a nice visual with details of the climbs. Restricted for space so what do people like to see when it comes to climbs?

1.) Length
    2.) Total Elevation
    3.) Average gradient
    4.) Maximum gradient

anyone else had issues with strava this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Yup, uploaded my ride but couldn’t edit it. Kept timing out in the app. Eventually was able to edit it on the website

Veloviewer wasn’t able to access it and haven’t got a mail to say relive has uploaded.

didn't transfer across from garmin to strava for me, i just had to export it from garmin connect and import it to strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭secman

Yep, kept getting "data sync problem " message, I even deleted the app and reloaded it. Jeez I even sent an email to broadband provider complaining, as it happened last weekend too , oops !

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This page may be of use to you
    http://status.strava.com/
    Investigating Strava degraded performance
    Monitoring - A fix has been implemented and we are monitoring site performance.
    Jan 13, 06:37 PST

Investigating - Our engineers are aware of degraded performance of Strava.com and are investigating.
    Jan 13, 05:35 PST

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just came in from work to learn that I've was relieved of a KOM this morning! :eek:

Well done magicbastarder - you have it back now but the gauntlet has been thrown down! :D

(mmmm........nice north westerly blowing I see......)

• Advertisement

heh. i decided that if i wanted it back, today was the day...

Advertisement