Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indicators on Bicycle

• 08-01-2019 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I'm (very!) new to the cycling game, having only recently braved my first cycle to work.

It's in Limerick and it's busy but not too bad, most of my 11km route has wide roads, few parts are sketchy enough but overall not bad.

I was wondering if something like these are ridiculous/likely to be missed or ignored, or are they a good idea to improve visibility on turning etc?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WingLights-Fixed-Black-New-Version/dp/B076CQ7VTN/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What's wrong with your arms?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Another poster has a good solution where he attached lights to his gloves to make hand signals more visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Tenzor07 wrote: »

You've to take one off the bars and steer and keep youself stable with just one arm while signalling. If you hit a bump or your other hand slips you will fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Nothing... and I use them...
    But it's January. It's dark at 7am and it's dark at 6pm.

You've to take one off the bars and steer and keep youself stable with just one arm while signalling. If you hit a bump or your other hand slips you will fall.

It's something that improves with practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Reflective wristband.

The same will happen regardless if your that unsteady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

They'd probably just be confusing if they're noticed at all. Find a quiet carpark or somesuch to practice in and get comfortable with using hand signals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Galibier have reflective winter gloves - handy I find for signalling in the dark commuting times.

I'd be worried that the light is so small it will go unnoticed as drivers wont expect to see it as it's non standard

Sure you could get this instead - a jacket that uses your back as an indicator (that likely also will go unnoticed)

NOOR-America-jacket1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

CramCycle wrote: »
    Another poster has a good solution where he attached lights to his gloves to make hand signals more visible.

I had thought of doing this, I'm cycling about 30km round trip to work. I use my arm but people still have a habit of trying to over/under take me when i am signalling to turn (pretty much pretending i dont exist as to not inconvenience them). I wonder would that make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I love those jackets that near light up with vehicle lights shining on them, only issue is the amount of numpties going around with their 5 watt side lights on where a candle would be brighter.

Get the reflective arm bands with flashing red lights and make sure to have at least one really good lights front and back.

Stand out from the the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oLoonatic wrote: »
    I had thought of doing this, I'm cycling about 30km round trip to work. I use my arm but people still have a habit of trying to over/under take me when i am signalling to turn (pretty much pretending i dont exist as to not inconvenience them). I wonder would that make a difference.

It wont. The problem is them not you.

252A0A5600000578-0-image-a-41_1422538126309.jpg

There are jackets with indicators if you want. Bar ends arent the best place IMO as they're obstructed hugely by you, your bike, your bag etc.

I have indicated in good time and with more than enough time to pull out with drivers seeing me and then speeding up to cut me off intentionally. Hate to say it but Id have been better off not indicating at all.

The long and short of it is, they may help you get more seen on a dark night but they won't stop d1cks being d1cks. Indicating grants you no right of way but it doesn't stop people being d1cks either.

Indicate before a turn, look around and check over your shoulder. If it is safe to go, do it, if its not, hold back, simples.

A light on your wrist may increase your confidence, it might alert someone who is simple and didn't cop from your arm or road position but don't ever presume it will make anyone give way.

i

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have indicated in good time and with more than enough time to pull out with drivers seeing me and then speeding up to cut me off intentionally. Hate to say it but Id have been better off not indicating at all.

The long and short of it is, they may help you get more seen on a dark night but they won't stop d1cks being d1cks. Indicating grants you no right of way but it doesn't stop people being d1cks either.

Indicate before a turn, look around and check over your shoulder. If it is safe to go, do it, if its not, hold back, simples.

A light on your wrist may increase your confidence, it might alert someone who is simple and didn't cop from your arm or road position but don't ever presume it will make anyone give way.

i

Thats a fair point alright. Very frustrating though. I used to drive alot for work from bikes to extra large vans and know all too well how vulnerable cyclists are. In particular around the city centre. On reflection maybe i'm mad to commute by bicycle now, But for health and financial reasons its fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

https://lumoshelmet.co

More Visible than bar end lights and you can use it on any bike.
    [Y

Thats a fair point alright. Very frustrating though. I used to drive alot for work from bikes to extra large vans and know all too well how vulnerable cyclists are. In particular around the city centre. On reflection maybe i'm mad to commute by bicycle now, But for health and financial reasons its fantastic.

Your not mad at all, despite all this, the long term benefits to your health far outweigh the perceived risks, which are not all that likely to happen.

I couldn't go back to driving or even PT, I just couldn't hack that rubbish day in day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

for health and financial reasons its fantastic.

This is my motivation behind it!
    I'm going to work anyway.. I badly needed some exercise.. why not combine both. And saving petrol money is a big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I usually indicate while I'm still moving straight ahead, then put my hands back on the handlebars for when I start the turn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one issue with those lights is that i suspect that theoretically if a garda saw you using one, you could then be done for not indicating correctly before making a turn (though i have to actually confirm if the law states a cyclist must indicate with a hand signal).

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

There are rucksacks with inbuilt indicators and remote switch Santa brought me one a few years ago

• Advertisement

This is my motivation behind it!
    I'm going to work anyway.. I badly needed some exercise.. why not combine both. And saving petrol money is a big plus.

Within a month and a half I had lost a stone. I knocked 15 minutes off my commute time since i started on an old heavy mountain bike not built to withstand the hills of the phoenix park and chapelizod. Am looking forward to getting a proper road bike and seeing the difference it makes.

I do not miss the car at all, In saying that i dont mind getting wet and too stubborn to look back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Effects wrote: »
    I usually indicate while I'm still moving straight ahead, then put my hands back on the handlebars for when I start the turn.

Yeah, if you are indicating as you start to turn, it's too late. Is as frustrating as when cars do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Lumen wrote: »
    Reflective wristband.

Will only allow cars to see them and not people crossing at a junction.

Anyhow going by what i see everyday on the roads, most cyclists don't signal, the same way drivers don't used indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Will only allow cars to see them and not people crossing at a junction.
    Well OK, but pedestrians won't be looking for an indicating cyclist anyway.

I can't say I've ever needed to use anything but an unlit, non-reflective arm.

Saw a fella with them on his helmet recently they were controlled via a little device on the bars. Initially I thought hey isn't that cool but then as I rode on and lost him at the next set of lights, and he made it through I realised it was useless as I couldn't tell which direction he was turning at a distance. Mind you a flashing light and extended arm might catch the attention vs arm alone.

Agree with Average runner re: lack of signalling , and don't get me started on roundabouts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Planet X are selling the Magicshine helmet with indicators. Looks brighter than the Lumos one, but also looks silly.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HEMSMJ898/magicshine-mj898-helmet

That said, don't think it will make a huge difference. Indicated plenty of times in broad daylight, and people "don't see you"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Lumen wrote: »
    Well OK, but pedestrians won't be looking for an indicating cyclist anyway.

I can't say I've ever needed to use anything but an unlit, non-reflective arm.

In fairness I would always look before I cross a junction and it really pisses me off when a cyclist/car turns without signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In fairness I would always look before I cross a junction and it really pisses me off when a cyclist/car turns without signalling.

Everyone is p*ssed off at others not obeying the rules of the road.

Pedestrians dislike cyclists not indicating
    Cyclists dislike motorists for not leaving enough room or not indicating
    Motorists dislike cyclists for weaving in and out of traffic.
    Cyclists and motorists dislike pedestrians for jaywalking.
    Pedestrians dislike motorists for not obeying lights and pedestrian crossings.

There is fault on all sides and it p*sses off people on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How did you manage when we had down tube shifters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I might be the poster with wrist lights mentioned earlier. I used sweatbands rather than gloves though. They're very cheap to make; the only expensive bit is the light, and Aldi do pretty good value COB lights now, which I think are knock-offs of Moon Crescents. I used Moon Crescents, which are plenty bright, even on the lowest setting, and nice and small and light, and come with a belt-clip as standard, which is what I used to attach them to the wristbands.

369839.JPG

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99673160&postcount=53
    How to make them (a hair tie or small elastic might be needed as the elastic in the wristbands age to stop them rotating on your wrist):
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81976804&postcount=40

Advertisement