Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

I have mixed feelings regarding the development of the canals.
    On the sections I have been on that have seen redevelopment they are simply a replacement of grass with rather ugly hardpacked gravel, less compatible with nature. Also i enjoyed cycling the canal because the terrain was challenging and it is significantly less challenging now.

I think a compromise could have been a narrower path with a grass verge between the path and water. Also a surface more compatible with nature would have been preferrable.

Fully support cycle and walk ways away from roads but feel this could have been more sympathetic and better thiught out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yet they'll disrupt everything around Clontarf to the tune of 500 k for a few weeks/months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

guanciale wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings regarding the development of the canals.
    On the sections I have been on that have seen redevelopment they are simply a replacement of grass with rather ugly hardpacked gravel, less compatible with nature. Also i enjoyed cycling the canal because the terrain was challenging and it is significantly less challenging now.

I think a compromise could have been a narrower path with a grass verge between the path and water. Also a surface more compatible with nature would have been preferrable.

Fully support cycle and walk ways away from roads but feel this could have been more sympathetic and better thiught out.
    You do realise the canal is an entirely human built thing? not a natural feature of the landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

You do realise the canal is an entirely human built thing? not a natural feature of the landscape.

He/She referred to the surface around the canal and made a point with which I totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure what your point is; we can't favour grass over gravel?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

In my opinion, the best sections of the royal canal are the gravel sections all the way to Ballymahon. Looking forward to Meath completing their sections. Much of Grand Canal is way behind and hard to cycle outside of perfect dry conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Yeah, gravel sections from Mullingar all the way to Ballymahon are lovely, just the right amount of gravelliness! I'm going to cycle from B'Mahon to Clondara at the weekend, hopefully it won't be as pissy as last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

TooObvious wrote: »
    Yeah, gravel sections from Mullingar all the way to Ballymahon are lovely, just the right amount of gravelliness! I'm going to cycle from B'Mahon to Clondara at the weekend, hopefully it won't be as pissy as last weekend.

As far as I know Longford County Council have been working on the section after Ballymahon for the past few weeks - let us know how it looks.

Thanks for letting me know - will advise how i get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

PM sent

So, I cycled from Brannigan Harbour in Ballymahon to Clondra via the canal at the weekend. Gorteen joined me for the outward leg. The full route can be cycled without dismounting on a CX bike, though it is at the moment fairly muddy in places - chiefly where works are being carried out to lay down the track. I don't recall any singletrack so all of the route is either paved now or to be completed imminently. I spoke to a Inland Waterways chap whilst en-route and he said that the work would be completed in about 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How do they compare with the dust sections immediately east of Mullingar?

The surface is a mix of older tarmaced (road) surface and the new surface which is a grit surface with a similar grade to that used between Mullingar and Ballymahon. Once complete should be happily doable on 25's, 23 even if you want to.

Cycled from Thomastown Bridge/Nancy Quinns Pub to Moyvalley/Fureys Pub today, about 17km of mainly fine grit/gravel with some top quality tarmac and some rougher tarmac. My first time to cycle this section since the surface was upgraded. I think that must give The Royal Canal the title of the longest continuous greenway in Ireland. I believe you can now cycle from Fureys Pub to Longford Bridge/Ballymahon, a distance of roughly 70km.

CapnHex wrote: »
    Cycled from Thomastown Bridge/Nancy Quinns Pub to Moyvalley/Fureys Pub today, about 17km of mainly fine grit/gravel with some top quality tarmac and some rougher tarmac. My first time to cycle this section since the surface was upgraded. I think that must give The Royal Canal the title of the longest continuous greenway in Ireland. I believe you can now cycle from Fureys Pub to Longford Bridge/Ballymahon, a distance of roughly 70km.

Work ongoing on last "grass" stretch of Ballymahon to Clondra. Is expected to be finished in 6 weeks time. That will make a continuous greenway from Furey's Pub to Clondra, a total distance of 95km approx.... All that's required now is the same level of marketing and promotion that has been given to Waterford & Westport Greenways....

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Work ongoing on last "grass" stretch of Ballymahon to Clondra. Is expected to be finished in 6 weeks time. That will make a continuous greenway from Furey's Pub to Clondra, a total distance of 95km approx.... All that's required now is the same level of marketing and promotion that has been given to Waterford & Westport Greenways....

What about the section between ballyduff and killashee? Last time I cycled around here I had to come off the canal and on to the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dermot65

Has section from kilkock to maynooth reopened, was closed for bridge works, any update on section from maynooth towards Dublin, still nothing happing on this section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Gorteen wrote: »
    ... All that's required now is the same level of marketing and promotion that has been given to Waterford & Westport Greenways....

.....and for the other County Councils to complete their sections of the 145km Royal Canal Greenway.

I met a local cyclist near Furey's and she said there was some issues getting under the R148 at Furey's. She thought it would take a bridge over the road, as the canal and rail line didn't leave enough room to go under the road. Looks like the road was realigned some time in the past. Maybe something like the new bridges added for the Waterford greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

The current bridge doesn't allow for the towpath, think an underpass would be better than a bridge, like they also have on the Waterford Greenway. Seems they prefer traffic lights on the canal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Missus Doubtfire

dermot65 wrote: »
    Has section from kilkock to maynooth reopened, was closed for bridge works, any update on section from maynooth towards Dublin, still nothing happing on this section

I was down that way yesterday and it still looks like it's just a grass verge from the level crossing at Intel (Lock 13) out towards the bridge at Carton House.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

Kilcok to maynooth is open. In fact the section runs from about 5km west of Kilcock all the way to Maynooth.
    From Maynooth to Dublin;
    First 2 km or so leaving Maynooth jeading toward Leixlip are fine. Then there is a muddy section that runs from parallel to Carton House all the way to railway crossing close to Intel.
    From there to Leixlip is hard packed fine gravel. Not bad to cycle on at all.

From past Kilcock (Fern's Lock / McLoughlin Bridge) to Enfield was hard work a few weeks ago. Boggy, Muck, Grass... nothing pleasant about it!
    Improved from Enfield for a while (even though it's "work in progress" and then hard work (again) from Kilmore Bridge to Moyvalley (Furey's Bar)......... Excellent from there to Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Copied from lamaq's post over on the Greenways thread:

Cycled the Royal Canal from Leixlip, no photos unfortunately:

Leixlip to Pike Bridge/Carton House entrance - no work done here, still a mix of narrow paths or grass.

Pike bridge to Maynooth harbour - ok surface.

Maynooth Harbour to Kilcock - finished, the underpass at Bailey's bridge is complete.

Kilcock to about 2km west at drainage bridge - finished.

Drainage bridge to Ferran's Lock - the gravel foundations are down but not the finished surface. Generally ok to cycle on.

Ferran's Lock to Cloncurry bridge - still grass, no work has started yet.

Cloncurry Bridge to Enfield - all done except for last 500m into Enfield which has gravel, not sure why this was left.

Enfield to Blackwater aquaduct - finished.

Blackwater aquaduct to Moyvally - have the foundations down and currently being worked on, looked like they were cutting back some of the trees.

Couldn't go any further than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You can't do it on the Grand but on the Royal canal do you have the option of cycling out say 50km on one bank, crossing over to the other side then cycling back on the opposite bank? Or is it one track for most of the way like the grand.

Thargor wrote: »
    You can't do it on the Grand but on the Royal canal do you have the option of cycling out say 50km on one bank, crossing over to the other side then cycling back on the opposite bank? Or is it one track for most of the way like the grand.

Not really, the other bank tends to be privately owned by farms. In some sections the greenway is being developed on the other side than the existing path, so it should be possible in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I would stick the signage provided regarding which side to go on. You could get a couple of km then find an obstacle and have to double back.

• Advertisement

I cycled from Moyvalley to Foygh (about 5km North of Ballymahon) yesterday. It's pretty much all complete with a mixture of ashphalt roads and fine gravel. Only one busy road to cross at Mullingar. The section past Foygh bridge is blocked off currently.

446531.jpg
    Road bridge at Moyvalley, the greenway should be going between the canal and railway. Photo was from a couple of weeks earlier, hence the snow.

446532.jpg
    Section past Foygh Bridge currently blocked off. Opposite bank from where photo was taken.

446533.jpg
    Typical fine gravel section.

Advertisement