Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opening day on the dodder issues!

• 17-03-2019 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

So this morning I went down just as the sun cane up with the worm hoping for a few stockies. I caught 3 small wild fish. Water was fast but fishable.
    Anyway seems the river was barely stocked with fish being put into the obvious places again! Rathfarnham waterfall was crawling with lads. Maybe 5 yards between them all casting out using maggots ( illegal) and one or two using feeders.
    I may get slated for this but most were foreign lads with no licences. ( I asked). And one lad had 9 fish with 5 stocked fish in a bag and 4 wild fish that weren’t even 8 inches. The rest all had 3-4 fish in bags aswell ( daily take is 2). Some drinking and a couple actually camped out all night with several fish taken at Orwell park.
    Where are the bailiffs? Why am I paying membership for a river to not be stocked properly, not cleaned up, not patrolled by bailiffs. I’m paying these fish to be stocked for these lads to not pay a licence and kill everything in sight!
    This is not on. Surely others here have been on the river this morning and seen this carrying on! Not saying all were foreign. There was at least two Irish lads acting the same aswell.
    Also at the dropping well pub there was 2 cormorants in the water and one up at the waterfall. Now we all know these lads will decimate the stocked fish aswell as the wild fish.
    Why’s re the dodder angling club completely ignoring these issues?
    Rant over. Been a member for 20 odd years and this is the worst year. It’s been going downhill for years now. Absolute joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The best action is to get involved at the club end of things. Become an active club member and try to get on the committee of the club, where you can work to shape the policies and actions of the club.

It's disheartening to see this kind of mindless stripping of stock and is not what angling is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Hi OP, why does it matter if they are 'foreign' or not?

It doesn't aid in answering questions about where 'bailiffs' are, as far as I know that are fisheries officers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember when I was a kid in the early 80's going down to the Dodder at midnight on Paddy's day and the place being crowds of people nearly shoulder to shoulder on the deeper pools where they had been recently stocked. And lads hauling them out on worms and maggots. It was a massacre. My abiding memory of the Dodder opening day(s) was this dredging the river for stockies. Long before any foreigners were about too.

These days, yep there are more likely to be foreign lads at it, simply because fishing as a sport for local guys, particularly young guys, has over the last twenty years died off in a huge way as a pastime. Whereas the foreign lads are still into it to a greater degree, so you just meet more of them.

Plus there can be a cultural difference going on. When I was a kid catch and release was for tiddlers and the odd weirdo in fishing magazines, everything else you tended to keep. Nowadays in Ireland it's more sport fishing rather than for the table. Again for the generally Eastern European lads it's more like it used to be here, fishing for the table. An ex of mine who hailed from Ukraine couldn't quite get the idea of me poncing about delicately casting flies to fish, then releasing them. She thought I was touched in the head. Well it added to her general appraisal of me. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Hi OP, why does it matter if they are 'foreign' or not?

It doesn't aid in answering questions about where 'bailiffs' are, as far as I know that are fisheries officers.

Why does it matter? Because our own lads here know they’re breaking the law. If lads coming over from other countries don’t know then they need to be told. And we’ve made enough examples out of our own lads that broke fishing laws. So we need to do the same about the foreign lads aswell. Or there’ll be nothing left. I know plenty of places that were great places to fish until the foreign lads came along and now there’s not a fish to be seen.
    You can say what you want but majority know they are breaking the law. None of this crap “ I don’t understand” works on me. I know they understand. We have laws here. Abide by them or be punished. I’m paying money to see fish stocks put back in. But they’re taking the fish out and not paying or contributing to anything. You should’ve seen the state of the area after them. Empty beer cans everywhere. Cigarette boxes and butts and food wrappers everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I walk my dog at the Dodder (Balrothery Weir) several times a week and there is fishing going on year-round and, unfortunately, plenty of anti-social behaviour with it. The amount of beer bottles, cans and takeaway litter that gets left behind is unreal. I don't know how the residents of Mount Carmel Park aren't onto the Gardai 24/7. And the amount of discarded fishing line in the river is an absolute disgrace.

I've done several clean-ups with the Dodder Action group but it's seriously depressing spending a day cleaning up only to go back down the next day and see it looking like a bomb hit it again. Add in a hot summer like we got last year and the place is like the aftermath of Glastonbury some mornings. A lot of that is obviously teenagers partying but as I've said, there's plenty of dodgy fishermen acting the maggot too. I can see why DodderAngler is pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Why does it matter? Because our own lads here know they’re breaking the law. If lads coming over from other countries don’t know then they need to be told. And we’ve made enough examples out of our own lads that broke fishing laws. So we need to do the same about the foreign lads aswell. Or there’ll be nothing left. I know plenty of places that were great places to fish until the foreign lads came along and now there’s not a fish to be seen.
    You can say what you want but majority know they are breaking the law. None of this crap “ I don’t understand” works on me. I know they understand. We have laws here. Abide by them or be punished. I’m paying money to see fish stocks put back in. But they’re taking the fish out and not paying or contributing to anything. You should’ve seen the state of the area after them. Empty beer cans everywhere. Cigarette boxes and butts and food wrappers everywhere.

One cant assume that if someone comes from another country that they don't know rules related to angling here.

You mention that you know plenty of places that became depleted once "foreign lads" came but you don't give a link with details of any evidence such as a baseline study pre-immigrant arrival vs after immigrant arrival.

Also, how are you sure its "foreign lads" that solely contribute to litter?

Your post stink of prejudice and racism.

One cant assume that if someone comes from another country that they don't know rules related to angling here.

You mention that you know plenty of places that became depleted once "foreign lads" came but you don't give a link with details of any evidence such as a baseline study pre-immigrant arrival vs after immigrant arrival.

And if you spend time observing first hand and interacting with those actually doing the fishing, you can dispense entirely with your whataboutery and get on with discussing what you would confirm to be true. Or just speak with eastern europeans who fish and they’ll tell you all you need to know. They’re totally unashamed about their practices and think people doing what Wibbs described are indeed a bit touched.

Your post stinks of misplaced outrage. Wise up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

I don’t think you know what racism is... he never mentioned a race only hitnted nationality, completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod. I'll leave this open subject to the discussion not venturing down the nationality of anglers route. The charter is clear in that regard and it'll be closed fairly quickly if those arguments persist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Where are the bailiffs? Why am I paying membership for a river to not be stocked properly, not cleaned up, not patrolled by bailiffs. I’m paying these fish to be stocked for these lads to not pay a licence and kill everything in sight! .

Presumably you called IFI to report illegal activity? Any response?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

It's also worth noting that a lot of what you refer to is a mixture of anti social behaviour and breaches of Club rules. Fisheries officers are restricted on the dodder to dealing with breaches of Fisheries legislation only. With the exception of fishing out of season all else you mentioned is a matter for the guards, council and dodder anglers committee.

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that a lot of what you refer to is a mixture of anti social behaviour and breaches of Club rules. Fisheries officers are restricted on the dodder to dealing with breaches of Fisheries legislation only. With the exception of fishing out of season all else you mentioned is a matter for the guards, council and dodder anglers committee.

This is it in a nutshell.

Dodder, become an active member of the club committee and bring these issues to the fore. There will be ones that are in the remit of the club to tackle (i.e. fishing without a permit if the club holds the fishing rights) and others which will require collaboration with other stakeholders (like the Gardai for the antisocial behavior) and others which are just an everyday part of being an anglers (sharing the waters with wildlife i.e. cormorants).

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Found a a homemade net and what look like crayfish traps up at Bohernabreena this eve 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

How to contact Inland Fisheries Ireland:
    For general enquiries call 01 8842600 or email info@fisheriesireland.ie
    To report pollution or poaching 24 hours a day phone 1890 34 74 24

Handy info to have in your phone if you come across anything while out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

fiacha wrote: »
    How to contact Inland Fisheries Ireland:
    For general enquiries call 01 8842600 or email info@fisheriesireland.ie
    To report pollution or poaching 24 hours a day phone 1890 34 74 24

Handy info to have in your phone if you come across anything while out and about.

Thanks for that, I’m going to be fairly militant about reporting this year. One bit of advice though, never approach or question poachers, walk on and inform the authorities when you’re out of sight. The more reports they get the more they will take it seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

murdog! wrote: »
    Found a a homemade net and what look like crayfish traps up at Bohernabreena this eve 😒

I'd also contact Npws as they have sole remit over crayfish not IFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Where are the bailiffs? Why am I paying membership for a river to not be stocked properly, not cleaned up, not patrolled by bailiffs. .....
    Why’s re the dodder angling club completely ignoring these issues?
    Rant over. Been a member for 20 odd years and this is the worst year. It’s been going downhill for years now. Absolute joke.

The club is run by volunteers who give their time free of charge, why would they be putting themselves in harms way over stock fish. If you aren't happy get involved in the club and do something. Also the membership is 10 euros, would you like to see them do something about the one day of the year but charge you 100 euros so that they can fund it?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

I’m paying money to see fish stocks put back in. But they’re taking the fish out and not paying or contributing to anything. You should’ve seen the state of the area after them. Empty beer cans everywhere. Cigarette boxes and butts and food wrappers everywhere.
    Been a member for 20 odd years and this is the worst year. It’s been going downhill for years now. Absolute joke.

Agreed - was a member for 10+ years. The dodder is on my doorstep but I've not been a member for the last two years as I feel my membership fee is only encouraging anti social behaviour now. It's a shame as the river was a terrific amenity in the area.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

I was on the phone with a member of ifi for good 15 mins telling him about the situation. He is aware of it and investigation is in progress. He said there was lads on the river but not in the location I gave him.
    He also said I can apply for a fishery licence to be a registered bailiff. And I am applying for it.

I was on the phone with a member of ifi for good 15 mins telling him about the situation. He is aware of it and investigation is in progress. He said there was lads on the river but not in the location I gave him.
    He also said I can apply for a fishery licence to be a registered bailiff. And I am applying for it.

Fair play to you.

• Advertisement

What the IFI member was describing (I imagine) was how to become an authorized person under the Fisheries (Consolidation) Act 1959.
    Appointment of water keepers by persons interested in fisheries.
    294.—(1) Each of the following persons—

(a) any person interested in the preservation of the fish of any river or lake,

(b) any persons who have united themselves into a society for the preservation of any fishery in any river or lake,

(c) the owner of any fishery in any river or lake,

(d) the owner of any salmon fishery on the sea coast,

may, from time to time, by instrument in writing in the form set out in the Sixth Schedule to this Act, appoint any person to be a water keeper for the protection of the fisheries on such part of the sea coast or in any such lake or river or the tributaries thereof.

Your application will need to be signed off on by a District Court judge. I would suggest reading the Act linked to give you an idea of what it entails.

If anyone wants to see the damage the cormorants are doing on the dodder please watch this
    https://youtu.be/obb6tYO0lHo
    Go to 12:32. Featured on fieldsports Britain. A video on the dodder of a cormorant swallowing a good 2lb trout. There are 4 at least around rathfarnham and milltown area

If anyone wants to see the damage the cormorants are doing on the dodder please watch this
    https://youtu.be/obb6tYO0lHo
    Go to 12:32. Featured on fieldsports Britain. A video on the dodder of a cormorant swallowing a good 2lb trout. There are 4 at least around rathfarnham and milltown area

They're nesting in the old laundry chimney stack beside the 9 Arches bridge in Milltown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

It always bothered me the whole opening day on the Dodder.
    It was like a massacre fish been caught in large numbers a few put back loads just killed for the sake of it.
    This year I have noticed that the level of anti social behavior along the river has got really bad.
    With some of the residents in an area afraid to even report it to the Garda.
    A shame as its a great natural area in Dublin.

JayZeus wrote: »
    They're nesting in the old laundry chimney stack beside the 9 Arches bridge in Milltown.

Correct

It always bothered me the whole opening day on the Dodder.
    It was like a massacre fish been caught in large numbers a few put back loads just killed for the sake of it.
    This year I have noticed that the level of anti social behavior along the river has got really bad.
    With some of the residents in an area afraid to even report it to the Garda.
    A shame as its a great natural area in Dublin.

Well tbh I normally in past few years on paddy’s day have caught average of 10-12 fish with last year catching 19. Kept two and my daughter kept two on her licence. But I’ve no problem with the fish being killed. They are triploids. Bred to b killed. But I do have a problem with non licence holders killing everything. And using maggots etc. No disgorgers even.
    Littering the area with cans and rubbish. Even some lads throwing dead trout back after they swallow the hook.
    Locals are afraid. Of course they are. Drunk lads with possibly knives on them. No wonder bailiffs won’t be there.
    This is why I am applying for a bailiff type licence. Because I won’t take shît from them.
    We also have a huge cormorants problem and recently heard of mink on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

@dodderangler, The mink are back alright saw one down at Lower Dodder Road on Sunday. However I
    Have to say the Cormorants I haven't seen for a couple of weeks.

@dodderangler, The mink are back alright saw one down at Lower Dodder Road on Sunday. However I
    Have to say the Cormorants I haven't seen for a couple of weeks.

Beside the dropping well pub in the old laundry tower just look up. You’ll see two at least wings stretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Advertisement

I actually passed by that crowd that day wondering why pictures were being taken.
    It also takes about a certain individual on dodder angler association who most of us know does not give one flying fück about the river.

Advertisement