Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dream123

Having a long drawn out argument with Goldcar following a booking in canaries in October

Its only about €100 quid but I'm not happy with their approach which seems to be to just drag out and take ages to respond without full detail hoping I'll just give up - its as much about the principal as the cash

Anyone got any thoughts about a Spanish ombudsman or other route to escalate (without costing me obviously)?

Never had an issue with a car rental company before but Goldcar are shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Goldcar are well known for probably being the worst car rental agency in the Canaries, each islands forum on TripAdvisor will have a lot of negative posts on them, for any of the Canary islands, Cicar, Cabrera Medina & Payless would be the most reputable, I doubt you will see your 100 again

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

We use airportcarhire.ie and comparetravel.ie

Both compare car rental prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Makai Incalculable Mushroom

Booked with budget in Tenerife for next month.
    Used them here and never had an issue.

Goldcar are well known for probably being the worst car rental agency in the Canaries, each islands forum on TripAdvisor will have a lot of negative posts on them, for any of the Canary islands, Cicar, Cabrera Medina & Payless would be the most reputable, I doubt you will see your 100 again

Oh ye of little faith!!!

My issue with them actually consists of 3 issues ... They made a complete mess of booking

Anyway they have conceded on one item and i have about half the disputed amount refunded

Its taken a ridiculous amount of effort to get this far but I think I'm wearing them down!

I may not get the remainder back but I reckon I've cost them any profit from the transaction with time taken up to manage my complaints

A complete shower of liars and I would absolutely endorse paying a little extra to book with a reputable brand after my experience in going for the price that seemed too good to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Dream123 wrote: »
    Oh ye of little faith!!!

My issue with them actually consists of 3 issues ... They made a complete mess of booking

Anyway they have conceded on one item and i have about half the disputed amount refunded

Its taken a ridiculous amount of effort to get this far but I think I'm wearing them down!

I may not get the remainder back but I reckon I've cost them any profit from the transaction with time taken up to manage my complaints

A complete shower of liars and I would absolutely endorse paying a little extra to book with a reputable brand after my experience in going for the price that seemed too good to be true

Well done on getting your €50 back, how did you get it back, put onto credit card?

Hired with Cicar in September, booked online, got exact make & model booked, with 1/4 tank of fuel, paid cash on collection, dropped it back with 1/4 tank & walked away, no card details ever disclosed, Cabrera Medina operate the exact same way

Well done on getting your €50 back, how did you get it back, put onto credit card?

Hired with Cicar in September, booked online, got exact make & model booked, with 1/4 tank of fuel, paid cash on collection, dropped it back with 1/4 tank & walked away, no card details ever disclosed, Cabrera Medina operate the exact same way

Yes refunded to credit card

A lot to be said for paying cash, doesn't give them the chance to revise the agreement after the event and charge you extra without any explanation of why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

CiCar and Cabrera Medina are part of the same group (Orvecame). Great to deal with. For years they were my go-to for car hire, but I use OmniCars Lanzarote now when I'm on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Any recommendations for companies out of Amsterdam Schipol?

Appreciate any tips or things to watch out for (especially around sneaky charges).

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

oakshade wrote: »
    Any recommendations for companies out of Amsterdam Schipol?

Appreciate any tips or things to watch out for (especially around sneaky charges).

Thank you.

Used all of them, all fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Looking into this option. Will need a 7 seater. Hertz seems expensive. Ryanair is fine but the cost of child seats is €60 a head which is quite steep imo. Hertz are very expensive by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Looking into this option. Will need a 7 seater. Hertz seems expensive. Ryanair is fine but the cost of child seats is €60 a head which is quite steep imo. Hertz are very expensive by the looks of it.

child seats are a rip off in rentals .. can you not bring your own?

Flying with Ryanair so its unlikely unless I look for inflatable ones. I wonder are they valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

whippet wrote: »
    child seats are a rip off in rentals .. can you not bring your own?

+ they are always filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Anyone ever use aig car rental insurance before?

Could anyone tell me how long it takes once off off the plane to actually get into a pre-booked rental car? Is there much paperwork involved which would cause delays? I have a tight schedule and have the option of taking a taxi but it's quite an expensive far. Only advantage is I'd be hopping straight into it after coming out the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Depends on who you rent with. Some operators are literally miles away, outside the airport complex, the big boys are closer and their shuttles are more frequent. In general terms, the less you pay, the farther you will have to travel to get the car.

If you're a frequent user of Hertz, you can book a car in advance and it will be ready to go. You'll be told which bay it will be parked in, you walk from the shuttle bus direct to the parking bay, the car will be ready to go with the keys and paperwork inside, you drive up to the guy in the security booth at the gate, show your driving licence and the rental agreement and off you go. That's the fastest way to do it.

You might get better info. if you name the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

coylemj wrote:

You might get better info. if you name the airport.

I'm guessing stagnated in the thread title is Stansted auto corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Are you a goldcard holder with Hertz as an example - this will help the speed of collection of vehicle

Thanks for the info, flippen autocorrect, second time its done that today, London Stansted is the destination. I've not rented before so I dont think I'd qualify for that service with Hertz but no harm in givng them a call. Id called to Budget car in Stansted today and they said its a pretty quick turnaround, less than 5 mins at the desk. Then I have to get a ****tlebus which is every 10-15 mins. I asked could I walk to the car depot but he said there's no paths, not sure that necessitates taking a bus? Just need my drivers license, passport and credit card. Looking at the Europcar requirements I needed way more documentation. Also, unlimited mileage with Budget car compared to 90miles with Europcar and 20p per mile thereafter.

@ Mod - can you update thread title to London Stansted (not stagnated)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Avis in Stansted is an on foot journey from the terminal, so no need to wait for the shuttle bus.

Avis in Stansted is an on foot journey from the terminal, so no need to wait for the shuttle bus.

Will look into their prices and conditions so. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

When returning a car to the airport car park on level -2 where all the car hire returns go, drop you wife/kids/friends/luggage off first at departures. It's quite a long walk from the car park returns area back to the departures if you have a kids in prams with luggage. Similarly on arrival, if you are hiring a car send the family/friends up to departures for a coffee whilst you procure the vehicle. Then when you have it just drive up to the set down area at departures and collect them. You just go left at the first roundabout instead of straight on for the main road.

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    When returning a car to the airport car park on level -2 where all the car hire returns go, drop you wife/kids/friends/luggage off first at departures. It's quite a long walk from the car park returns area back to the departures if you have a kids in prams with luggage. Similarly on arrival, if you are hiring a car send the family/friends up to departures for a coffee whilst you procure the vehicle. Then when you have it just drive up to the set down area at departures and collect them. You just go left at the first roundabout instead of straight on for the main road.

great advice. they should put this type of info up on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Just received an email from Budget where they asked for payment of a car rental I had with them , that I booked through a broker (atlaschoice.com) some time ago.

The broker had defaulted on their payment and they were advising me to charge back the fee paid to the broker from my credit card company and pay the amount for the rental direct to Budget.

I was actually surprised to find a term in the (extremely) small print on the back of my rental agreement, stating that :

" Upon termination of the rental hereunder the forwarding of any account, invoice, demand or request to a third party for payment shall not operate to prejudice the right of the owner to demand payment from the renter at any time in the case of default by the third party"

I will dispute the credit card transaction and I am inclined, if successful, to pay Budget their dues.
    Having said that.. just wondering if their right to demand payment is the same as me being liable for that payment..

Any way, I would just like people to be aware that when hiring through a broker, and the broker defaults, rental companies may well have a recourse to the renter to demand payment again (even when the rental was in the past)

I know that renting through a brokers is in 99% of cases (significantly) cheaper than direct with the car rental company, but you should just be aware of this risk.

I guess you could stick with the mainstream brokers (incl Ryanair) to lower this risk, but in fairness Atlaschoice was in business since 1999 apparently, so I guess it could happen to any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Flying with Ryanair so its unlikely unless I look for inflatable ones. I wonder are they valid.
    Ryanair allow(ed) you to bring child seats for free. I'd double check that its still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ryanair allow(ed) you to bring child seats for free. I'd double check that its still the case.

These ones are great for traveling
    http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/massive-toy-clearance/c-850/massive-toy-clearance/p-15789/cindy-booster-seat/
    Cheap enough that you can leave them behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

From their website

Fee charged per item/ Per one way flight - maximum weight of 20kg per item (2 items of baby equipment are carried free of charge per child - 1 pushchair plus one of the following items: car seat or booster seat or travel cot).

Never had any issue, when bringing just a small booster, no need to check it in, just bring it to boarding gate. Bigger chairs, yes, check them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. I need to hire a car from Nice Airport in July for 12 days, this will be the first time I've hired. It will be for 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids (11,8 & 2)). The best price for a 'compact' size I have come up with is with Auto Europe using inter rent. They are located in the terminal which is quite important to me and their child seats are capped at €35 max. I have added the max possible cover so all in it will cost us 277.50 + 64.20 for refundable excess with super cover and 35 for the child seat. Total €376.7 Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I seem to have read horror stories about nearly all at this stage!, I'm certainly avoiding Gold Car but should I be paying more and going with Enterpise or Europcar which could work out €300 more expensive? I have attached the breakdown. (hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

rightyabe wrote: »
    Anyone ever use aig car rental insurance before?

I guess you mean the excess insurance.
    I had a policy with AIG but never had a claim.

Advertisement