Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Veg*ns (Pictures and info!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

When n wheres the next veggie meet up so?

Oh ya sorry I'm a 24 year old student, I'm entering my fourth year of a nutritional science degree in UCC and am currently working on the national adult nutrition survey during my summer hols!
    Been veggie since 12 or 13 but fell of the wagon also when I was around 19 for jus under a year and had a bite of a chicken burger before than when I was 5 and very drunk.
    I love animals and so choose not to eat em even though they taste lovely.
    I have a vegan boyfriend of nearly five years and 5 cats and a sheepdog and we all live in the country and eat homwgrown vegetables for dinner every day.
    Became vegan again at christmas and I feel f*ckin great!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

had a bite of a chicken burger before than when I was 5 and very drunk.
    :eek:

:D oh jesus ya thats supposed to say 15! Thanks helena for pointing that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

When n wheres the next veggie meet up so?

This Saturday! see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055613338&page=2 The idea is that we pick up some food and have a picnic (I'm bringing vegan cake along too!). It's Dublin city, and I see that you attend UCC, so I guess you might have to travel a bit, but raah! will be travelling up from Cork so you won't be alone! Looking forward to Saturday!!!

• Advertisement

Hmmm intriguing how can I hook up with this other corkonian on boards? Supposed to be camping in Killarney this weekend but if it doesn't go ahead I may make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I am raah!. I was able to fully be a vegetarian when I went to live in dublin and control my diet. I'd prefer to be lacto vegetarian, but my parents feed me nothing but eggs now :). I'm a mathsy physics student. This is a picture from new years, I couldn't really find any other ones . My name is Daniel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yo daniel, you look like I pictured. Which is quite rare for me!

Good show! I've since shaved my hair though, and broken my nose a second time :D, and have a dreadful pile of fluff on my face. But I'll probably look like that soon enough again. Nice to see all you other vegetarians aswell.

Oh! Hello raah! There was me thinking you were another girl :D You don't happen to be a mathsy/physics student in UCD do you?! I have plans to get an unofficial veggie soc started in UCD. I need to find more veggies!!!

• Advertisement

:) I guess raah! is a very gender neutral name, perhaps a capital would fix that wagaon. unfortunatly I'm in trintiy, but maybe you can start a "dublin" vegetarian society fotr studyents, I'll bring some beans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

raah! wrote: »
    :) I guess raah! is a very gender neutral name, perhaps a capital would fix that wagaon. unfortunatly I'm in trintiy, but maybe you can start a "dublin" vegetarian society fotr studyents, I'll bring some beans.

I'm currrently applying for 2 masters in trinity woot woot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So perhaps to get to know everybody that frequents here and to help everybody recognise each other for future boards meets we will have this picture and info sticky. So you can put pictures of yourself here, description of your diet, age, location, career, whatever and how much you are comfortable sharing, no more! Feel free to post updates or new photos too, whatever you want.

Some of you may not know how to post a picture on here so I'll do a quick run through first. You go to a website like www.photobucket.com or one of the others like flickr and you make an account. You are then given the option to upload pictures off your PC to your album. The site will then give you a link with the picture under it. To post it on here you paste the link in a post and write [?img] at the start of it and [/?img] after it, without the "?"s. So it might look like [?img]www.photobucket.com/picture.jpg[/?img]. If anybody has trouble let me know and I'll help you out, but I imagine most know how to by now. You can also just link to bebo/facebook whatever if you wush to show the photo that way.

So anyway I had better start it off since I am making the thread.

I am from Sligo, I have been a vegetarian for 5 years, maybe a vegan one day but that might take some years. I am vegetarian for many reasons, mostly ethical and environmental. When I started out all I ate was meat and it's taken me these years to get used to a vegetable diet. I would never go back now, it's fun to eat what I eat and try/cook new meals, and it makes me much happier than I would be if I still ate meat.

I have recently turned 23 and graduated a year ago with a degree in Electronic & Computer Engineering from NUIG.
    So I lived for 4.5 years in galway and I am back in Sligo now. At the moment I am looking for a masters course/job, preferably in the capital, am studying for future certifications and learning to drive!

This is me on the left(you can tell by paleness):*
    It is from a year ago when myself and my class visited Edinburgh.

48992371a9211298454l.jpg

I'll refrain from other pictures until other people post! You might even see the full face one day :eek:

*Not me really, just googled 'male model', i'm really a girl, honest, yes...

Cool haircut - Very Thurston Moore.. i'm not a veggie.. don't eat meat every day, love vegetables & meat & Thurston & live in Sligo. Not gay, but if I see you wedged between a couple of nice grilled peppers, I might be tempted to chew on your leg!!

I saw your post recently, you should go there and not dcu I think, we can start a vegetarian society.

Cool haircut - Very Thurston Moore.. i'm not a veggie.. don't eat meat every day, love vegetables & meat & Thurston & live in Sligo. Not gay, but if I see you wedged between a couple of nice grilled peppers, I might be tempted to chew on your leg!!
    Um, I suppose I'll take the compliment. I realise even dudes can not resist the charm. My hair nearly always looks like Thurston Moore's, but better. sexy beast. :p
    raah! wrote: »
    Vegetable partyu! I'll tell you a story, I had to argue in favour for factoryt farms, for a debate, so as a vegetarian arguemtn I didn/. TH e debating societes are pretty surreal too, monacles, they'd wear monacles in theri spare time. I saw your post recently, you s hould go there and not dcu I think, we can start a vegetarian society,
    lol drinking? Will see where I go! Gotta meet people today references and things and apply, ahhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I think I have lurked long enough!
    I've been reading this forum (and others) for a while but have never posted...
    I'm Cathy, 22, from Galway. I'm living in Edinburgh now but I'll probably be back home soon because I can't get a job :(
    I've been vegetarian all my life. Would be vegan but I eat a shocking amount of milk chocolate.
    Donnie Scribbles is this magnificent kitty!

2936268530_4eae5852b2.jpg?v=0

2936268530Some of my former housemates use this as their username on other sites so I hope there is no confusion! I set up this account to sell an amp on adverts.ie and never really thought about it...
    Anyway, hello :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Welcome to the boards :)
    I've been vegetarian all my life. Would be vegan but I eat a shocking amount of milk chocolate.

I have the answer to all your problems! Vegan milk chocolate!!
    organicavegan100g300.jpg

Brought some to the picnic today. And people came back for seconds! Even the people who get to eat Dairy Milks everyday if they want to!

Welcome Cathy! Always glad to hear that you've lurked and liked what you've seen :) Throw in your input! Don't hold back ;)

And from tasting it today, I can gaurentee that the above chocolate is very very tasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Hi Cathy! donniescribbles is a great name and a cutsie kitty!
    yeay come chat with us!!!

also agree that chocie is uber nice but i love my white choc!! aoifums doesnt recommend the white vegan one :( think ill try it doh!

sorry bout the job fail :( i love edinburgh, living there must be awesome!!! :)

Hi Cathy, nice of you to join us! You are not the Cathy I know from galway are you?
    Probably not, I think she is called Cathy on here and should still be lurking too.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for all the welcomes!
    I have the answer to all your problems! Vegan milk chocolate!!
    Hello Aoifums :)
    Is it made with soya milk? I tried a different brand of soya milk chocolate before and wasn't impressed! Where do you buy it? There's some great health food shops over here, I'll have a look for it.
    Welcome Cathy! Always glad to hear that you've lurked and liked what you've seen :) Throw in your input! Don't hold back wink.gif
    Hey sweet-rasmus, cheers for the welcome, my input will surely be thrown!
    sorry bout the job fail frown.gif i love edinburgh, living there must be awesome!!! :)
    Hi also, Maameeo (how do you say that?!)
    Yeah, there's a lot more jobs than at home but also a lot more people going for them! But Edinburgh's great, beautiful city, great for cycling and cinema!
    Hi Cathy, nice of you to join us! You are not the Cathy I know from galway are you?
    Probably not, I think she is called Cathy on here and should still be lurking too.
    And finally, hello Tar.Aldarion!
    I don't think I know you, I saw your picture a few pages back and I don't think we've met. There are a couple of Cathy's in Galway though, I've met quite a few!

Multi-quoting is difficult :o
    You're all so friendly! Cheers for the welcomes.

Ye there might be a few Cathy's all right, just wondering how many veggie ones. :p

To multiquote, press the + thing beside reply on all the posts you want to quote.
    multiquote_off.gif
    Then click reply.gif
    and they should all come up.

Ye there might be a few Cathy's all right, just wondering how many veggie ones. :p

To multiquote, press the + thing beside reply on all the posts you want to quote.
    multiquote_off.gif
    Then click reply.gif
    and they should all come up.

Ah, so that's how you do it... Cheers!
    Yeah I don't know any other vegetarian Cathy's in Galway, but going by this there are at least two in the whole county :)

Ah, so that's how you do it... Cheers!
    Yeah I don't know any other vegetarian Cathy's in Galway, but going by this there are at least two in the whole county :)

I miss living in galway, the govindas stand, evergreen, the curry stand, the crepe stand...there is a pattern emerging. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Hi, thanks for all the welcomes!

Hello Aoifums :)
    Is it made with soya milk? I tried a different brand of soya milk chocolate before and wasn't impressed! Where do you buy it? There's some great health food shops over here, I'll have a look for it.

Nope, no soy in it at all!

Ingredients
    Raw Cane Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Rice Syrup (17%), Cocoa Mass, Hazelnut, Vanilla, Sea Salt.

And it's organic and (mostly) fairtrade!

They sell it in most Nourishes over here.

I miss living in galway, the govindas stand, evergreen, the curry stand, the crepe stand...there is a pattern emerging. :D

I might be moving to Galway. I cant remember if I liked living there really.
    I'd like to be in Dublin, but it doesnt seem to be about to work out for me.

Doniescribbles...it just takes time to adjust to soyamilk. Pick one and stick to it for a while.
    I love Donnie btw....he looks like he has a black heart :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'll add my piece now that i'm feeling alright and say hi and welcome to the greener side of the Boards Cathy:) We are all nice people here but Moonbaby, although seemingly harmless:pac:tends to like evil things too so i'm not quite sure what you can make of her yet;)

Hope you enjoy the time spent in here:)

We are all nice people here but Moonbaby, although seemingly harmless:pac:tends to like evil things too so i'm not quite sure what you can make of her yet;)

Pretending to have a soul are we now dearest? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Pretending to have a soul are we now dearest? :D
    Why of course my mosquito bitten friend...i couldn't have it ANY other way;)

• Advertisement

Look at all these gingers, talking like they have souls, so cute. ;)

Advertisement