Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Average salary at €47,000

Options
  • 06-02-2020 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Isn't it fair to increase the higher tax bracket above this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Why should you pay more tax if you earn more? More pay doesn't equate to you "using more tax funded services". In fact, if you earn more, you buy more, meaning you actually pay more VAT on goods than someone who earns less.

If there is a direct correlation between earning more means you are a higher burden to society (and as such should contribute more to the state) then there should be a higher tax bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MichaelKnee

antodeco wrote: »
    Why should you pay more tax if you earn more? More pay doesn't equate to you "using more tax funded services". In fact, if you earn more, you buy more, meaning you actually pay more VAT on goods than someone who earns less.

If there is a direct correlation between earning more means you are a higher burden to society (and as such should contribute more to the state) then there should be a higher tax bracket

I think a single tax bracket is fair. If you earn more, you still pay more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would back the standard rate being applicable up to this amount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Isn't it fair to increase the higher tax bracket above this?

Where are getting the average salary of €47k from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

It is kind of ironic that an average salary means you pay higher rate income tax.

• Advertisement

https://ie.neuvoo.com/salary/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think we need to revisit our school curriculum and add extra emphasis on statistics. It's so easy to fall victim to statistics these days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The average salary in Dublin maybe but this couldnt be the case for areas outside of Dublin.

Link to what I think the OP is talking about here Linky

However if they wanted to raise it to €50k for the higher tax band, I wouldnt say no :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 William Legrande

You should really get a volume discount. The more you earn the lower the percentage should be. Open and transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Never happening lads. Even if FG got returned, they'd just forget about this pledge like every other pledge.

Fool me once and all that.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Never happening lads. Even if FG got returned, they'd just forget about this pledge like every other pledge.

Fool me once and all that.

I'd be inclined to agree, I think we'll get diddled no matter whos in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The sauce https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-fact-check-is-the-average-income-really-47-000-1.4155272
    Election 2020 fact check: Is the average income really €47,000?
    Taoiseach made claim at leaders’ debate when discussing entry point for higher tax rate

The verdict:
    The Taoiseach’s statement is accurate, but leaves out some information key to getting a fuller picture of earnings in the State. Therefore the verdict is the claim is true, but missing some important information.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

biko wrote: »

The quote from Aidan Regan is interesting, its not the average figure but the median figure that is more accurate and matters more.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    The quote from Aidan Regan is interesting, its not the average figure but the median figure that is more accurate and matters more.

Regardless, the higher tax bracket kicks in at a shockingly low level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

People get hung up on tax that they pay but what's equally as important is the services that we get back.

I'd gladly pay higher personal tax to have public services on par with Scandinavian countries.

It's not all about an extra tenner in your back pocket.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    People get hung up on tax that they pay but what's equally as important is the services that we get back.

I'd gladly pay higher personal tax to have public services on par with Scandinavian countries.

I'd rather keep more of my paycheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Zebra3 wrote: »

But we don't get the services, that's the problem. Between 40% tax and all the USC bands you'd think you'd get at least 1 or 2 GP visits a years and a functioning health service so you don't rely on private health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I earn considerably less than that

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

Yes. The mean value is mean-ingless. It's skewed by a small number of people earning very large amounts of money.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Yes. The mean value is mean-ingless. It's skewed by a small number of people earning very large amounts of money.

What's the median income? I can't find statistics on it. Also, it doesn't change the fact that high taxes kick in at a low amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Im a bit surprised by that figure. Thought it might be a little higher. Suppose that includes outside cities because if it doesn't I'd say the average wage is closer to 55 - 69 k. Definitely in Dublin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But we don't get the services, that's the problem. Between 40% tax and all the USC bands you'd think you'd get at least 1 or 2 GP visits a years and a functioning health service so you don't rely on private health insurance.

I totally agree with you that we don't get the services, but that's the desire of the right-wing parties to get people to sign up for privitised services.

In my opinion, all private services, be it education, health or whatever, should be privately funded, but instead, the right-wing thieves use taxpayers' money to fund the well-off.

Provide people with high standard secular education, health services and if people want to opt out, let them pay for it themselves.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Im a bit surprised by that figure. Thought it might be a little higher. Suppose that includes outside cities because if it doesn't I'd say the average wage is closer to 55 - 69 k. Definitely in Dublin anyway

Definitely in the IT/finance industries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Average salary is a misnomer, median is a far better metric. The amount would be considerably less than 47k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

"Average" salary. I would be far more interested in what the national "Median" salary was. Average don't paint a true picture. 9 people earn €20k per year. 1 earns €100k. Average is €28k. That's 40% a year more than what 90% of people in this very very very very simple scenario earn. How is that at all accurate?

Average salary is a misnomer, median is a far better metric. The amount would be considerably less than 47k.

What's the median salary in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What's the median salary?

This was the most recent I could find but I suspect it hasn't risen 10k in less than 3 years.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-64-of-workers-in-ireland-earn-less-than-the-average-salary-4562071-Apr2019/

jaxxx wrote: »
    Say you have 10 people, all with different salaries. You rank the salaries in ascending order. You then pick the very middle salary and this is the median. In this case you would be looking at the 5th and 6th highest salary (or get the average of these 2 figures).

I know what the median means, what's the median salary in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

What's the median salary?

The salary range that most people earn, nobody can seem to find this statistic. It's like the government and senior civil servants are trying to hide it from us.

Look up bell shape graphs if you need further explanation

• Advertisement

The salary range that most people earn, nobody can seem to find this statistic. It's like the government and senior civil servants are trying to hide it from us.

Look up bell shape graphs if you need further explanation

I meant the median salary. See above comment if you need further explanation.

Advertisement