Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well aren't we all being quite bullish this evening!

Looks hot following a warning trend, is it record breaking hot, remains well to be seen.

I'm just waiting for the dreaded downgrades and then everything goes kerpow in here as they do. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for the dreaded downgrades and then everything goes kerpow in here as they do. :rolleyes:

Nice reverse psychology :D:pac:

I thought it'd be fun here to look at the driest Junes on record at Cork Airport and Dublin Airport because both stations' totals for June 2018 are running well below average with 8.3 and 4.5mm respectively.

Dublin Airport's driest Junes on record (records go back to 1941). So June 2018 currently ranks as the second driest June on record here.

Rank|Year|Rainfall total (mm)
    1.|1942|4.0
    2.|1967|11.4
    3.|1995|11.6
    4.|2015|14.1
    5.|1975|14.9
    6.|1973|20.2
    7.|1996|20.8
    8.|1994|21.2
    9.|1949|22.3
    10.|1976|22.5

Cork Airport's driest Junes on record (records go back to 1962). June 2018 currently ranks as the driest June on record here, following its second wettest April on record.

Rank|Year|Rainfall total (mm)
    1.|2006|14.6
    2.|1975|20.2
    3.|1974/1995|21.3
    4.|1973|25.1
    5.|1992|26.4
    6.|1972|34.2
    7.|1999|35.4
    8.|1967|35.9
    9.|1977|36.4
    10.|1994|45.9

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I thought it'd be fun here to look at the driest Junes on record at Cork Airport and Dublin Airport because both stations' totals for June 2018 are running well below average with 8.3 and 4.5mm respectively.

Dublin Airport's driest Junes on record (records go back to 1941). So June 2018 currently ranks as the second driest June on record here.

Cork Airport's driest Junes on record (records go back to 1962). June 2018 currently ranks as the driest June on record here, following its second wettest April on record.

Definitely noticing that dryness. While I haven't seen any grass go a browny colour yet (its a lighter shade of green definitely), the earth is starting to break away from the concrete and is shrinking as its dry. Very interesting to see! :)

Looks like a sensational Pub Run for the third consecutive time.

lGGsOu9.png

fEx2se0.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

anything over 22/23 degrees is physically painful for me, so hopefully not too hot. I would like to be able to move about and function

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Heatwaves aren't only defined by maximum temps, but also by the minima.

Thankfully, the days will be getting shorter from next week onwards. Won't be all that noticeable for another good month or so, but every second counts.

Tick tock.. tick tock.. tick..

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Heatwaves aren't only defined by maximum temps, but also by the minima.

Thankfully, the days will be getting shorter from next week onwards. Won't be all that noticeable for another good month or so, but every second counts.

Tick tock.. tick tock.. tick..

You must be a winter person its too early to be talking about shorter days for a few months yet. Those high temps are looking uncomfortable im just hoping the humidity wont be as bad this time. Once it goes above 23 or 24 i struggle to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Definitely noticing that dryness. While I haven't seen any grass go a browny colour yet (its a lighter shade of green definitely), the earth is starting to break away from the concrete and is shrinking as its dry. Very interesting to see! :)

Definitely noticeable around here in Kildare, grass around trees, near kerbs, manholes etc is all yellow and anywhere in direct sunlight is a lighter shade of green than usual. We've had quite a few light showers this week which should help slightly but not had any notable rain for a month now.

Charts are fairly spectacular at the moment as well with no real rain in sight after tomorrow night, could be a long hot summer ahead if high pressure keeps reloading but lets not jinx it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

add 2 or 3 degrees to these maximums if this were to come off,west coast on fire and on par with southern England if not hotter and mainland Europe.

ukmaxtemp.png
    ukmaxtemp.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m going on 2 weeks holiday Sunday
    Dear god WHY

:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

km79 wrote: »
    I’m going on 2 weeks holiday Sunday
    Dear god WHY

:D

Yes but in Spain you'll have a nice pool and beach to enjoy, no work, it'll be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Wow I know its early days and all that - and not to jinx it (!) - but could we be even looking at surpassing 2013 overall?

Could be heading for the best summer since 95

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

kod87 wrote: »
    anything over 22/23 degrees is physically painful for me, so hopefully not too hot. I would like to be able to move about and function

Im only back from lisbon where the temperature reached 37 degrees celcius yesturday. It was unbearable to say the least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Have we ever had a red alert issued for a heat warning in this country?

Met Eireann would issue a red heat warning if:

Maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected and persisting for two or more consecutive nights.

I am sure we meet that criteria back in 1995, but not sure we have had that since.

I would really be excited if we finally see the all time temperature record of 33.3C being comfortably beaten this summer. A 34C somewhere would be great, or even a 35. Are those sort of temperatures even possible in this country?

Gonzo wrote: »
    Have we ever had a red alert issued for a heat warning in this country?

Met Eireann would issue a red heat warning if:

Maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected and persisting for two or more consecutive nights.

I am sure we meet that criteria back in 1995, but not sure we have had that since.

I would really be excited if we finally see the all time temperature record of 33.3C being comfortably beaten this summer. A 34C somewhere would be great, or even a 35. Are those sort of temperatures even possible in this country?

It's certainly possible, especially with the dried up ground. The highest temperatures here tend to come after days of very dry conditions and the sun being abundant, as such happened in June 1887 and June 1976. 2006's highest temperature of 32.3c was recorded on 19th July, around the middle of the Summer following the driest June since 1995 and the driest start to July for some since 1982. This can also translate to some cold conditions at night though as like a desert climate. For example, the start of August 1976 brought a frost with grass temperatures getting below freezing and the same happened in July 2006 before 32.3c was recorded with a grass minimum of -1.3c at Birr on the 13th. In basic summary, it's very possible but extremely difficult and going by historical occurrences here, we need certain paremeters to be set before hand and then get the heat in.

30c has not been achieved in June for 23 years now.

Here's the charts of Ireland's hottest days on record to compare.

19th July 2006

archives-2006-7-19-12-0.png

14th July 1983

archives-1983-7-14-12-0.png

29th June 1976

archives-1976-6-29-12-0.png

26th June 1887

archives-1887-6-26-12-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Minima in excess of 20c would be stunning to experience in this country!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »

I reckon the minima in excess of 20C would be even more difficult to achieve than a few locations hitting 30C+, especially with sea breezes keeping things much cooler near the coast.

If the temperature record is going to be beaten this summer, I think we would need another heatwave later in the season, a perfect 7day+ heatwave with the perfect fetch of heat, very little wind and minimal sea effect cooling.

Next week's spell is probably still too early in the season to smash the all time temperature heat record. Maybe a 30C in the midwest, is probably the best we can hope for in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »

Stunning, or painful? :)

Had a few nights where it failed to get below 17c last spell, that was enough heat for our Irish house. Any hotter and I'll be exchanging the fan for an AC unit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Stunning, or painful? :)

Had a few nights where it failed to get below 17c last spell, that was enough heat for our Irish house. Any hotter and I'll be exchanging the fan for an AC unit!

I'd go with stunning. Off with the bed sheets and any bed clothes... Love it

• Advertisement

GFS 06z is sizzling hot again. When the high weakens towards the last weekend of June, another one comes in and reforms itself over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

TOPLESS BABES SIZZLES AS EIRE BURNS IN FIREY HELL TRAP.
    PM CALLS EMERGENCY MEETING AS GROUND BREAKS OPEN.

[IMG][/img]f2na8n.jpg
    [IMG][/img]e980gl.jpg

These are the June maximum temperature records for our Irish stations to beat. Keep in mind, some of these stations only began keeping records towards the end of the 2000s.

Station|Maximum temperature|Date
    Athenry|24.7|18th June 2014
    Belmullet|28.3|18th June 1957
    Casement Aerodrome|27.6|18th June 2000
    Claremorris|29.8|30th June 1976
    Cork Airport|27.5|30th June 1995
    Dublin Airport|27.3|8th June 1940
    Dunsany|27.0|21st June 2017
    Gurteen|26.2|2nd June 2009
    Malin Head|27.2|6th June 1950
    Mt. Dillon|27.2|2nd June 2009
    Mullingar|29.8|29th June 1949
    Oak Park|26.8|2nd June 2009
    Phoenix Park|28.7|6th June 1950
    Shannon Airport|31.6|29th June 1976
    Valentia Observatory|28.1|27th June 1995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

GFS 06z is sizzling hot again. When the high weakens towards the last weekend of June, another one comes in and reforms itself over us.

Woohooo!!!! :D

AwtX7cL.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I can see the Athenry high for June being smashed if the charts verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

so do people think the highest temps ever of 33.3 in 1887 will be broken?

Kamili wrote: »

Unlikely during June. Maybe mid July - early August if everything falls into place with perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Gonzo wrote: »
    Unlikely during June. Maybe mid July - early August if everything falls into place with perfection.

Interesting - it was June 1887 that the record was broken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hope not :D I like Kilkenny holding the record and we no longer have a Met station.

• Advertisement

Interesting - it was June 1887 that the record was broken :)

And the second highest temperature record of 32.5c at Boora, Co. Offaly was on 29th June 1976.

To answer your question, no I don't think it will be broken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement