Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Simon Keeling's Winter forecast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Simon Keeling's Winter forecast

So the NW or returning NW trend to continue all the way to the start of March!

Could be as much moaning here next winter as there was during the recent summer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Could be as much moaning here next winter as there was during the recent summer! :)

we will have a dustbin and tide watch instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Why would we be moaning, winters in the West provide the most entertaining weather in the country, we would be moaning if it was a dry and mild winter ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Well if its a repeat of last years westerly snows I wont be complaining. I got a total of 6 inches of (wettish) snow last year in 2 events which is more than we got here in Athenry in 2010 though it was of course far warmer last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I'd much prefer an easterly influence or slack winds,combined with regular westerly Atlantic swells.

I got on the surf scene 4 years ago,the conditions were way more favorable.

Plenty of offshore breezes and ground swells,frosty mornings and crisp evening' s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

We need another snowmageddon after that crap summer. Something similiar to 2011 would be nice. Wishful thinking i know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

definitely would prefer a winter that will give us in the snow starved east something to look forward to this winter. I doubt we'd see a 2009/2010 again for many more years to come but a few days of regular snow trains in off the Irish sea would do nicely.

We did get an inch or so of slushy snow from the atlantic last year but it's not really the same and doesn't really last more than a few hours on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    definitely would prefer a winter that will give us in the snow starved east something to look forward to this winter. I doubt we'd see a 2009/2010 again for many more years to come but a few days of regular snow trains in off the Irish sea would do nicely.

We did get an inch or so of slushy snow from the atlantic last year but it's not really the same and doesn't really last more than a few hours on the ground.

Aw my condolences. Meanwhile in west Clare we got no lying snow last year and no snow during daylight hours. Most possible snow events were rain. Snow starved east? Snow starved Ireland (excluding the northwest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

mg1982 wrote: »
    We need another snowmageddon after that crap summer. Something similiar to 2011 would be nice. Wishful thinking i know.

2011 was awful. I think you mean 2010 :)

esposito wrote: »
    2011 was awful. I think you mean 2010 :)

Sorry ya meant 2010. It was a real winter wonderland in the northwest that year. Only problem was the pipes froze so there was no running water in the house. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think October will buck the trend of cold months.

I forsee a warmer than normal month.

Well see though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

The blackberry crop is very late this year. They are very slow to ripen.

This can only mean a foot of snow in my garden on Christmas Day

Xenji wrote: »
    Why would we be moaning, winters in the West provide the most entertaining weather in the country, we would be moaning if it was a dry and mild winter ;)

A quick look back to last year will confirm there was very much moaning about the lack of snow!

The blackberry crop is very late this year. They are very slow to ripen.

This can only mean a foot of snow in my garden on Christmas Day

Well, around here there is a bumper crop since late August...so that must mean shirt sleeves on Christmas Day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A quick look back to last year will confirm there was very much moaning about the lack of snow!

We got plenty in Castlebar the last 3 years running, well by Irish snowfall levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I like watching the ICE grow on the charts.
    Same day across 4 years....
    ims2015266.gif

ims2014266.gif

ims2013266.gif

ims2012266.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I don't care about the Winter as long as it's gonna be a long-cold-snowy one (not like Winter 2010-11 though). I want it like Winter 2009-10. All I ask for!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't care about the Winter as long as it's gonna be a long-cold-snowy one (not like Winter 2010-11 though). I want it like Winter 2009-10. All I ask for!

I'd settle for all three months to be like December 2010 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

all I care for is the Easterly during late November-mid February, everything else is just a waste of time resulting in disappointment.

I'd settle for all three months to be like December 2010 ;)

I said the Winter of 2009 / 10 because of the mild February of the next Winter and the not so snow-full January

every winter month since December 2010 has been rubbish, at least in my area!

since the great winter of 2010 all we've had here is a few isolated glimses of snow either too late in the year around March: snow that falls during the night and melts by noon or atlantic based crap that results in a few snow flurries on the back of the car or an inch of slushy snow that melts within an hour!

altho last year we did have about a 30 minute spell of atlantic sourced dinner plate sized flakes which were cool to see but it was all over and melted within an hour. This winter im looking for the real deal.

Gonzo wrote: »
    every winter month since December 2010 has been rubbish, at least in my area!

since the great winter of 2010 all we've had here is a few isolated glimses of snow either too late in the year around March: snow that falls during the night and melts by noon or atlantic based crap that results in a few snow flurries on the back of the car or an inch of slushy snow that melts within an hour!

altho last year we did have about a 30 minute spell of dinner sized plate flakes which were cool to see but it was all over and melted within an hour. This winter im looking for the real deal.

December 2011, February 2013, March 2013 and February 2014 are all the only months that I have recorded even one snowflake since December 2010.

We had a couple of days last winter that we woke up to a blanket of snow. Unfortunatley it had melted by evening time.

mg1982 wrote: »
    We had a couple of days last winter that we woke up to a blanket of snow. Unfortunatley it had melted by evening time.

Even on the 13th of January - the day I was told where most stations recorded some snow, I didn't record a snowflake

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Metmaster

Could the Atlantic have less influence over our weather this winter because of the much cooler waters there? Letting that easterly beast in? :)

Our last few winters have been influenced by the atlantic, hence the mild weather especially in the south and east. The easterly influence was seen in our colder winters of 09 and 10 which usually tends to have the oppostie effect leading to much of the cold weather hitting the eastern part of the country and much of the south. Our winters will always be cold up north no matter where the air is blowing from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I heard Moscow had there frist snow of winter snow !

I need to move there ,

I looking forward to next week!
    Cold and frostily early morning
    I leave the house 6:30am!

Finally get a chance to try out my new gloves , which I have in my back for 5/6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Hi guys....is it that time of year again :)
    Things are looking interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement