Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Cant find ant long range winter forecasts yet.

Nothing from Joe bastardi Or Piers corbyn yet.

Brian Gaze on the weather outlook has a small piece on the up coming winter.

Anyone have any information yet on the up coming winter 2014 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Kippure wrote: »
    Cant find ant long range winter forecasts yet.

Brian Gaze on the weather outlook has a small piece on the up coming winter.

Anyone have any information yet on the up coming winter 2014 2015?

Here's one it will get cooler soon 2/3 snow showers and will warm up again in April
    That's as much use as the long term forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Kippure wrote: »

And long may that last! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I just reviewed
    Ken Ring's
    January issued prediction for Summer '14 in D'Examiner. In fairness to him, not too shabby! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I just reviewed
    Ken Ring's
    January issued prediction for Summer '14 in D'Examiner. In fairness to him, not too shabby! :o

Quite good in fairness! However a stopped clock is right twice a day and all that.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

this is the first foray in to the winter i have seen would be nice to get some snow but too many near misses turns me in to a cynic
    http://realityweather.net/winter-2014-2015-discussion/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

Hi for all snow bunnies!! the states is the place to be !!
    I cannot post a link but have a look at empire news .net and the science? section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

slingshot wrote: »
    I cannot post a link but have a look at empire news .net and the science? section

Oh dear....... :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

slingshot wrote: »

http://empirenews.net/meteorologists-predict-record-shattering-snowfalls-coming-soon-bread-milk-prices-expected-to-soar/

There ya go.

And BTW the website is a satire, so don't take it seriously guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Had a good laugh at the other headlines.

The last thing we want is another cold US. We just get stuck with storm after storm and mild temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

There will be plenty of snow this year. I read it in a Canadian newspaper, Canadians don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Lucreto wrote: »
    Had a good laugh at the other headlines.

The last thing we want is another cold US. We just get stuck with storm after storm and mild temperatures.

Well i suppose a cold U.S doesnt necessarily mean it will be like last winter for here anyway if they were to get a very cold winter. We just dont want the same set up with the PV to be located where it was for most of last winter which gave the eastern side of the U.S such a cold snowy winter. Winter 2009/10 was a cold winter over there too as it was over here for example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Last winter was exceptional even for Ireland in terms of mild winter muck and relentless heavy rain and stormy conditions, I highly doubt we will see a repeat this winter for the entire winter season. At the very least we are bound to see more frost. Measurable snow is always a difficult one for Ireland considering we have the best location in the world this far north for snow to be marginal or non existent, but I would even bet we will see a few more flakes this winter than over the past 3 dismal winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Im no expert when it comes to teleconnections but one thing in our favour this winter will be a negative QBO, so a weaker PV compared to last winter is more likely. A strong positve QBO that we had last winter certainly did not help our cause. Of course there are other things to be considered but at least that is one thing in our favour for those hoping for a cold winter this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

We will have an average winter. Couple of below zeros, rain, lows sweeping across the north west. Play the odds lads.

What i would love this year is some really dense fog. 2 mtr visibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

When are we due our boards.ie authoritative winter forecast anyway?!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bit early for winter forecasts, it still feels like mid July. We should hear something before the end of October. My money is on an average winter which in our case will mean a slightly cooler, less windy winter than last year. There should be at least a few quick glimses of snow. Not expecting anything remotely like winter 2009/2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

When are we due our boards.ie authoritative winter forecast anyway?!?

It will be early November before we hear anything.

I am going for a cooler than average Winter with more in the way of frost than snow. After skipping Winter for the most part last year anything is an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

If Bardarbunga in Iceland erupts in a big way and for a prolonged time in the next couple of months, I would say serious snow is a given for the winter. And it won't be at all pleasant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

If Bardarbunga in Iceland erupts in a big way and for a prolonged time in the next couple of months, I would say serious snow is a given for the winter. And it won't be at all pleasant either.

Not pleasant as in "Don't eat the grey gritty snow" ??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Not pleasant as there'll be loads and loads of it, more than has been seen since the 1960s I would say, and life will get very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Just a back of the envelope calculation but the amount of sulfur dioxide being released is as follows

400kg of SO2 per second. So thats 400*60*60*24=34,560,000 kg per day. The eruption has been going for 33 days now so that's 1.1 billion kg's of SO2 released so far or 1.1 million metric tonnes. This is still small in the scheme of things but if the eruption continues for several more months it could start to cause a change in our local climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

power101 wrote: »
    Just a back of the envelope calculation but the amount of sulfur dioxide being released is as follows

400kg of SO2 per second. So thats 400*60*60*24=34,560,000 kg per day. The eruption has been going for 33 days now so that's 1.1 billion kg's of SO2 released so far or 1.1 million metric tonnes. This is still small in the scheme of things but if the eruption continues for several more months it could start to cause a change in our local climate.

Any figures for the last Icelandic eruptions that caused so much flight disruptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

piuswal wrote: »
    Any figures for the last Icelandic eruptions that caused so much flight disruptions?

An estimated 3000 tonnes of SO2 per day for around 70 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've been looking over the records of significant snowfall events in Ireland during the 20th century to get an idea of how often and regularly they occur. These are individual significant snowfall events, not significant winters overall, you can have a snow event in the middle of an otherwise unexceptional winter.

In total there were 27 significant events spanning 16 different winter seasons. So on average that's a winter with a significant snowfall event every 6-7 years, but keep in mind some of those winters are back to back while others were separated by gaps of up to 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Given the unusual extreme winter we had last year what is it looking this year I have no idea but perhaps someone here has heard of a forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I've been looking over the records of significant snowfall events in Ireland during the 20th century to get an idea of how often and regularly they occur. These are individual significant snowfall events, not significant winters overall, you can have a snow event in the middle of an otherwise unexceptional winter.

In total there were 27 significant events spanning 16 different winter seasons. So on average that's a winter with a significant snowfall event every 6-7 years, but keep in mind some of those winters are back to back while others were separated by gaps of up to 15 years.

A gap of 15 years?!!! - that is enough to drive any snow lover demented :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Are you working for Paddy Power or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I Being checking the updates on Weather outlook, Very week!
    The fourth update increases the chances of snow falling on Christmas day in the south and reduces it for the north. The reason for this is recent trends perhaps pointing towards more anticyclonic conditions developing during the early part of the winter with a chance of colder continental incursions. In this type of set up southern and eastern areas would be most likely to see colder conditions and a chance of snow flurries.

Recent years have brought a range of weather during the festive season to the UK, and there have been some notable cold spells. This year at the present time background signals look fairly neutral but things could change during the autumn.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day
    North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%
    South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20%

Forecast issued
    Update 4, 20/09/2014

The computer says [Issued 21/09/2014 12:46:39]

The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
    It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
    Snow is expected in Wales
    Snow is expected in the Midlands
    Snow is expected in the north
    Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
    Snow is expected in Northern Ireland
    Snow is expected in the Republic of Ireland
    Snow is expected in the Netherlands

Also over at http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

Winter
    December
    A very early look at December here, and at this point it should be considered very low confidence. Currently the forecasting model is suggesting high pressure to the north and in particular northeast of the UK which would translate to slightly cooler than average temperatures for England and Wales, closer to average in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Is that what happen in 2010?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Tindie wrote: »
    I Being checking the updates on Weather outlook, Very week!

Also over at http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

Is that what happen in 2010?

Afraid not it was northern blocking over greenland in 2010 , By sounds of the above its mid latitude block over Scandinavia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement