Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ha, you glued to the CFS too ? :D

Jaysus I just want the winter now at this stage

Nah, I just happened to take a look at it today after seeing it mentioned elsewhere. There's just something special about seeing a proper white christmas on a chart though.

It's way too early to be thinking about winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Nah, I just happened to take a look at it today after seeing it mentioned elsewhere. There's just something special about seeing a proper white christmas on a chart though.

It's way too early to be thinking about winter!

Very true, got I hope for the excitment we had here New Years Eve in 2009

Now that was fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very true, got I hope for the excitment we had here New Years Eve in 2009

Now that was fun :)

Yeah that really was something special for our area! Started snowing about ten to midnight and by the time midnight had struck the place was white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah that really was something special for our area! Started snowing about ten to midnight and by the time midnight had struck the place was white

I remember that. I nearly missed the countdown to midnight looking out at the snow. I then spent 2 hours walking around it in. I didn't expect to be sitting around for 2 weeks. I was working in Heatons at the time and they opened on New Years Day and I think we had about 30 customers the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Rain,sleet and snow now and again, plety of offshore breezes or calm conditions.
    Big Atlantic sweels and loads of surf that would be a nice autumn and winter :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

How did I miss this thread , this is my kind of thread, lol, I loved the snow early this year, it shame it missed my B'day, it snowed 7 days before and 7 days after My B'day lol

I hoping another repeat of 2010 Snow early in year and late in Year , way too Early get my hope up, I need see more windy weather or even windy one like December 2011 , no dry or mild one

Serious eyecandy on the CFS 2 on Meteociel at the moment (yesterdays 06Z run) for almost all of January and February.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Serious eyecandy on the CFS 2 on Meteociel at the moment (yesterdays 06Z run) for almost all of January and February.

Rather if it was December and January myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

And December Maq??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    And December Maq??

Think we're dreaming of a white Christmas!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    And December Maq??

It's just that Jan and Feb looked amazing on that run. It's purely eye candy only and doesn't mean anything because it's so far away. Just fun to see thats all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

First sub-zero 850hPa air of the season this weekend?

gfs-1-138_mdx6.png

A chance that the highlands in southern Norway could see what I'm guessing will be their first snow as well, good webcam here to keep an eye on over the next few weeks

http://www.bt.no/kamera/videokamera/Finse-stasjon-2479956.html#.UhthEhBGbiE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's just that Jan and Feb looked amazing on that run. It's purely eye candy only and doesn't mean anything because it's so far away. Just fun to see thats all. :)

Ah yeah I know but still nice to hear at the same time! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Tindie wrote: »
    How did I miss this thread , this is my kind of thread, lol, I loved the snow early this year, it shame it missed my B'day, it snowed 7 days before and 7 days after My B'day lol

I hoping another repeat of 2010 Snow early in year and late in Year , way too Early get my hope up, I need see more windy weather or even windy one like December 2011

I think that was a once in a lifetime occurrence. A cold setup before late December is very rare in Ireland, let alone late November. People have to bear this in mind when expecting cold weather during winter.

I personally would love a late December cold spell a la 2009/10, here's to a White New Year (and hopefully Christmas as well). Any cold weather or snow then should be much more potent IMO (yes, we could even get snow in Cork if we're lucky! :D)

Harps wrote: »
    First sub-zero 850hPa air of the season this weekend?

gfs-1-138_mdx6.png

A chance that the highlands in southern Norway could see what I'm guessing will be their first snow as well, good webcam here to keep an eye on over the next few weeks

http://www.bt.no/kamera/videokamera/Finse-stasjon-2479956.html#.UhthEhBGbiE

So no -12 uppers and bitter easterlies over Ireland just yet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks like i might be able to put back on my winter duvet this weekend indeed :)

269192.png

1208911_504933826264888_1157366279_n.png

So no -12 uppers and bitter easterlies over Ireland just yet. :p

:pac:

269195.png

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Hi folks could someone point me in the direction of where I might see all this CFS info please? I'm a newby and my mouth is watering, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Mafra wrote: »
    Hi folks could someone point me in the direction of where I might see all this CFS info please? I'm a newby and my mouth is watering, Thanks!

me too please just cant seem to figure out how it works

Mafra wrote: »
    me too please just cant seem to figure out how it works

Here you go lads ,

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&carte=0&mode=0&run=10

click "suiv" to continue onwards , but be warned , most of the regulars here know its just some fun to look at really considering how experimental it is.
    But enjoy it anyways :)

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Here you go lads ,

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&carte=0&mode=0&run=10

click "suiv" to continue onwards , but be warned , most of the regulars here know its just some fun to look at really considering how experimental it is.
    But enjoy it anyways :)

Yep, and don't forget to click Run courant on Run CFS 9 mois, which is the CFS 2 that extends out to 9 months, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Yep, and don't forget to click Run courant on Run CFS 9 mois, which is the CFS 2 that extends out to 9 months, heh.

Evil :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Thanks a lot for that.. Here goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

'A glance at Winter
    Obviously we're some way off from winter at this stage with plenty of time for change but the CFS2 model we use is currently giving an ongoing strong signal for northern blocking to be prominent this winter, meaning another cold winter season is a possibility - it must be stressed that it's all very low confidence at this range though..'

I apologise to snow bunnies for this, but I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that I think this winter, on the whole, will be average if not mild. Its only my opinion, but something tells me that a lot of the factors that have played out so far this year don't follow the trend that most years which ended with snowy winters have done.

Most of the preceding summers to these winters were washouts on the whole, but this summer certainly wasn't, it was one of the best in a number of years in fact. I also think the Azores High, which has dominated our weather for the most part this summer, might well last on into the winter giving us mild-average-cool weather à la late 2011.

Its only a hunch of mine, I certainly don't hope it plays out. Of course, we can barely forecast accurately for a fortnight in advance, certainly not several months in advance. But this is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I apologise to snow bunnies for this, but I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that I think this winter, on the whole, will be average if not mild. Its only my opinion, but something tells me that a lot of the factors that have played out so far this year don't follow the trend that most years which ended with snowy winters have done.

Most of the preceding summers to these winters were washouts on the whole, but this summer certainly wasn't, it was one of the best in a number of years in fact. I also think the Azores High, which has dominated our weather for the most part this summer, might well last on into the winter giving us mild-average-cool weather à la late 2011.

Its only a hunch of mine, I certainly don't hope it plays out. Of course, we can barely forecast accurately for a fortnight in advance, certainly not several months in advance. But this is just my opinion.

Hence why this thread is called "Weather Theory". It's experimental.

And plus, not all snowy winters were followed by a washout of a summer. We had a massive washout last summer. Not a drop of snow was to be seen in Winter.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Hence why this thread is called "Weather Theory". It's experimental.

And plus, not all snowy winters were followed by a washout of a summer. We had a massive washout last summer. Not a drop of snow was to be seen in Winter.

:confused:

8413108271_44b5a425a0.jpg
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :confused:

8413108271_44b5a425a0.jpg
    :cool:

That's in the mountains. I meant on sea level elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    That's in the mountains. I meant on sea level elevation